• Please log in to reply
338 replies to this topic

#331 greytail

greytail

Viridis umbra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,507 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 11:22 AM

Yeah. I tried marteau and I am not a fan of the orris root. Aside from that I had no qualms with it.
Nos adepto quis nos mereo. Nos mereo quis nos adepto.

#332 Songcatcher

Songcatcher

There ain't no good chain gang

• Bronze Member
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 01:57 PM

I thought the Master's Reserve smelled(smelt) like a great unlit cigar upon opening. It was a nice drink, until it aerated a bit, then I got pissed off about it.
The room it smelled heavy of drinkin',  
and the sad silent song made the hour twice as long,
as I waited for that sun to go sinkin'.

#333 fingerpickinblue

fingerpickinblue

Hallucinations Sold Separately

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,701 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 01:26 AM

I've always liked the inclusion and level of the orris in MAdlBE, especially because I think it gives it a unique signature. However, I get that it probably can be quite polarizing. I can tell you that the last time I tasted it from a bottle distilled in 2008, it seemed better integrated and much less up front. Of course I could still sense it but I prefer the way it shows now.

This is consistent with my observations of other top quality complex absinthes that I think have become more harmonious over time.
blind man see her, dumb man call her name - Ed Bell

#334 MisterX

MisterX

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 06:42 PM

tried it again just now, and it's back to being funky. heh. i was getting into the idea of writing up a review for every absinthe i've tried but i'm not going to do one for Marteau (actually wasn't going to even if it still seemed OK). I just really doubt this is representative. I wouldn't think orris root or any other secondary ingredient could do this. i can't find the anise or any sweetness, just a kind of acrid spicy bitterness. well, anyway, i guess that's all i have to say about it, haha. i might contact the supplier just to see what they have to say.

#335 fingerpickinblue

fingerpickinblue

• Content Team
  • 3,701 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 12:29 AM

I really wish I could observe this first hand. Any chance you re-used the original cork after the cleanse (if it actually is corked, probably should have thoroughly cleaned the bottle as well)?

At any rate, I'd probably gladly trade you for the Kübler I have laying around here that tastes like bottled tails.

#336 MisterX

MisterX

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 07:43 AM

i haven't reused the original cork, but sadly i didn't think to clean the bottle while i was doing the uh, experiment. i didn't really think it through too much i guess, just saw the idea and figured i had nothing to lose, and thought it might be fun to try.

anyway yeah it would be interesting to see what someone else thought about this.

buuut i don't think i really want a bottle of Kübler. can't believe they're selling that stuff for $70 a bottle over at Astor, even if it is a liter. i could've swore i got a liter for ~$50 (almost worth it) somewhere, around 10yrs ago. plus i've already emailed astor to see if i can maybe get an exchange for either vieux pontarlier, or vieux carre (which i've never had). but i have already taken probably 5-6 drinks so i don't know if that'll work out.

#337 fingerpickinblue

fingerpickinblue

• Content Team
  • 3,701 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 07:11 AM

I wasn't actually serious about a trade. Just trying to make the point about how bad that bottle of Kübler is.

#338 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,907 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 03:44 PM

I'd be happy to trade for a sample of something just so I can compare it to the bottles I have.  PM me if you want to do so.

Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#339 MisterX

MisterX

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 12:42 PM

I wasn't actually serious about a trade. Just trying to make the point about how bad that bottle of Kübler is.

haha yeah i kinda thought you were joking especially since you said it was tailsy. not sure why my reply went in a more serious direction like that

I'd be happy to trade for a sample of something just so I can compare it to the bottles I have. PM me if you want to do so.

pm'd

Edited by MisterX, 07 November 2017 - 12:43 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2018 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association