Gwydion Stone

Absinthe Marteau and Gnostalgic Distillery

It's been a while since I posted any news here in the forums, although those of you who follow me on Facebook or my Confessions of an Absinthiste blog will have seen some of what follows.

Gnostalgic Spirits, Ltd. has finally acquired its own distillery space in the SoDo area of Seattle, and will be moving in sometime in early December. If all goes well with the permitting process, we should be back in production sometime in January.

This is the raw distillery space. We just got the blueprints for the build-out from the architect yesterday and hope it goes quickly.

raw-space.jpg

I spent a week on the road recently with my son, Damon, driving from Texas over Old Rt. 66 to California and then up the Pacific Coast Highway, as he's moving back to Seattle.

149909_1676951125865_1300097361_1830361_5300261_n.jpg

39572_1675399967087_1300097361_1826842_7399456_n.jpg

More road trip pics here and here.

Aside from being a fun and relaxing trip, this was especially exciting because Damon will be apprenticing with me in the new distillery.

I'll be making Marteau with grape spirits distilled myself in-house from Washington wine, so I'll qualify for the privilege of on-site tastings and retail sales. Since I can sell on-site that means I'll be able to pursue nano-batch items available only at the distillery.

Along with Marteau Absinthe, we'll be making gin, rum and whiskey as our primary products, all of which will be produced according to out-dated and low-tech 18th and 19th century recipes and processes. Smaller lines will include a Falernum and an Amaro.

There are also plans to produce several non-spirit products such as true Gomme Syrup, real pomegranate grenadine, passion fruit syrup, and sugar cubes made specifically for absinthe and cocktails. If you recall the drip sequence in this video (starting at about 5:10), you'll see that the cubes are a little larger than the common variety (just over 1 tsp.) and melt quickly and smoothly, owing to the use of extra fine sugar.

What a long, strange trip it's been.

Cheers!

Gwydion

Smaller lines will include a Falernum and an Amaro.
I love it when you talk dirty.
out-dated and low-tech
Who? Me?

Congratulations on a number of different things. Getting going, again? New space? Sure, sure but having that new apprentice handy has got to be a kick in the pants! :cheers:

A long, strange trip, indeed!

May the new space bring you nothing but positive energy and success, G.

The product line sounds very promising.

It's great to hear that we won't be losing you to Portland, after all! :b-day: :cheers:

Outstanding! So that's what you've been up to....

That looks like a fine, fine setup in that building!

You know where to find me if you ever need anything.

That's an ambitious mix of spirits and mixers, too!

The very, very best of luck to you, my good man....

Wonderful news.....ALL of it. I'm terribly excited for you all.

Wishing you nothing but the best. Precious sends her :heart: .

Cheers!

As a native Seattlite, Welcome! I'm looking forward to trying Marteau. And do enjoy drinking some of our Washington wines. Oregon too. The PNW has some great wines. I'm particularly fond of Hogue Cellars Sauvignon Blanc, Chateau St. Michelle Riesling, and Knudsen Erath Pinot Noir.

Congrats!, Gwydion. I was thinking your place and RMGH next year. Is there a travel agent in the house?

Hmmmm... Absomphe probably heard that. Now I'll have to visit him, social butterfly that he is. ;)

I'm glad to hear that the Marteau will be available again before too long...this is very good news. However, I do have one question...

Who the hell is that guy in the black hat?

We all know how you distillers are rakin' it in! :laugh:

Sure, but I'd use a broom to sweep up all that wormwood dust, you wouldn't want any to go waste. :)