Herbaceous Vic

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 07:27 AM

There's some weird stuff on ebay (I already said that):

http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item2a0b55cf36

http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item2a0b462a01

What the???? :huh:

Anyone here have any insight into these curiosities?

Edited to correct a silly mistake...

Edited by Herbaceous Vic, 27 October 2010 - 08:13 AM.

#2 absinthejack

absinthejack

• PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 07:43 AM

The first item is an antique tea strainer and has nothing to do with absinthe. I'm not sure what the second one is, but I suspect it's something similar.
LIFE.............is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - What A Ride!

#3 Derrick

Derrick

Intoxicologist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,040 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 07:46 AM

Neither of those items have anything to do with absinthe. ;)
"Reality is a crutch for people who can't enjoy absinthe."

#4 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,279 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 07:56 AM

Tea strainer, olive spoon.

On ebay, anything with a handle and holes in it is an absinthe spoon. Also anything with a spigot is an absinthe fountain.

Maker of Marteau Absinthe and Foxtrot London Dry Gin
Distiller, Stone & Szilard Distilling Co.
www.absinthemarteau.com

#5 Ron

Ron

Blind Eye McGee

• Content Team
  • 4,136 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 08:04 AM

First up is a rare absinthe goblet with dose lines:
Posted Image

Here's a monster absinthe toppette with absomphesized doses:
Posted Image

Vintage absinthe fountain, in absinthe green:
Posted Image

And of course, leave it to our leader to score the biggest piece of the day.
A brass thistle absinthe chalice.
Posted Image

I didn't get a picture of the green glass absinthe plates, but they really were uranium glass! I can't positively say that they were not used for absinthe!

Every hour is green hour. -Hedonmonkey

Sometimes bad just gets so bad that it breaks thru to the other side and becomes good. - Phoenix

#6 Herbaceous Vic

Herbaceous Vic

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 08:11 AM

Thank you, all. I assumed as much, but thought I'd ask the pros for good measure.

Speaking of uranium / ouraline / vaseline glass, is it safe to use? Are they all the same (the terms for the same material)? I've seen some mention of them here, but happen to be thinking out loud about it at the moment.

#7 Herbaceous Vic

Herbaceous Vic

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 08:13 AM

neato..............i just realized i misspelled "curiosities"... :thumbdown:

#8 Misanthrope

Misanthrope

• PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 08:22 AM

The first item looks like a tea strainer to me.
I think the second one is a sugar spoon. I have one that's similar; you scoop the sugar out of the sugar bowl then lightly tap the spoon so the sugar sprinkles through the holes on the right side.
Consider the thought put into the design. Most folks are right handed. If you have this spoon in your right hand you'll likely be holding it between your thumb and middle finger then tapping it with your right index finger on the right side of the spoon handle. Each tap causes the spoon to jar to the left and all the powder (sugar) to shift to the right due to inertia. As the powder shifts to the right, it will sift through the holes on the right side of the spoon's bowl. It sounds elaborate and perhaps even overkill but I have lots of Victorian and Edwardian tableware that seems a bit over the top.
Here are a couple of examples of specialized salt spoons:
http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item2eb0d98044
http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item45f6513418
It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this. -- Bertrand Russell
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. -- Dr Seuss
I hate mankind, for I think myself one of the best of them, and I know how bad I am. -- Joseph Baretti
Humankind cannot stand very much reality. -- T. S. Eliot

#9 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,309 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 10:47 AM

So much on ebay is wrong either mistakingly or intentionally. Right now there's a guy selling an antique Yvonne glass and spoon, except it is really a common mazagran glass that was multiple use in bistros and quite common. I REALLY get a kick out of the perfume dispensers labeled "absinthe fountains"

There's a reason I get so many pieces from Marc at the musee boutique...you know what you're getting is real, and you know it's in good shape. I have scored a few really nice pieces on Ebay, but you really need to be careful, and it is always good to support the guys who do this for a living.

Ouraline, vaseline glass, depression glass, canary glass, uranium glass...all safe to use. There is harmless radiation all around us. The top soil in some parts of the country makes a geiger counter tick more than an ouraline glass. It is the dust and powders from making the stuff that in quantity can be harmful, but so can having your lungs full of feathers from working on a chicken farm! Would I use it regularly, no...
but that's more my way of keeping it safe!

#10 Herbaceous Vic

Herbaceous Vic

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 11:11 AM

Thanks for the info on the green glass, Scott. :cheers:

#11 Phoenix

Phoenix

Advansed Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 11:53 AM

Anyone here have any insight into these curiosities?

The only other insight I can offer that hasn't been mentioned already, is that people commonly list pieces on eBay as having an association with absinthe (where this is none) in hopes of receiving premium prices for not so premium items.

In the past I've been told it's okay to do this if it's uranium glass because some fans of absinthe also like uranium glass, but I disagree with that rationalization.

Edited by Phoenix, 27 October 2010 - 11:54 AM.

"He's a politician. It's like being a hooker. You can't be one unless you can pretend to like people while you're f***ing them."

#12 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 17,002 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 12:10 PM

It's also easy to miss really cool items, too. Scroll up the Guy-in-the-White-Hat photo: There he is so proud of his antique brass absinthe glass, he didn't see the vintage yellow porcelain absinthe pitcher on the shelf right behind him.

#13 Marc

Marc

absintheoriginals.com

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 01:24 PM

And it's not only eBay US, I can tell you that eBay France is full of those pseudo absinthe gears too.
1st common mistake: tea strainers, olive spoons, sugar spoons, tomato spoons, etc.
2nd: bistro glasses, pastis glasses, liqueur glasses, wine glasses, everything is "absinthe" as long as you can put something liquid in it.
3rd: fountains for port, whiskey, etc.
4th: carafes, as long as it's written Pernod, Cressonnée or Berger on it, it's a pre-1915 carafe.
5th: topettes
6th: brouilleurs
etc.
etc.

#14 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,309 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 03:43 PM

There is nothing wrong with a listing that is wrong due to ignorance if changed once the seller is told.
I have sent a note once or twice, and the seller thanked me and changed the description. There is a lot of stuff that is obviously bullshit however. There has been a guy selling a uranium wine glass calling in an absinthe glass. That is wrong and misleading, and I thank you Phoenix, for pointing out to me when I had some uranium glass on ebay to make it as clear as possible (which I did) that they were NOT actual absinthe glasses.

After further thought on the subject, I agree that even associating is not a great idea, as it encourages others to do the same, which makes for many bad scenarios. So Phoenix, I'm on your side, and have learned much in the last year about honoring these items. Soon you'll be seeing just how much I honor them.

I suggest that if in doubt, ask here! There are many people who can help ID stuff that is fake or advertised
dishonestly.

#15 thegreenimp

thegreenimp

Obsessed Herbsaint Collector

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 04:34 PM

No one has turned up much of anything absinthe from pre-ban New Orleans, the one Jung & Wulff absinthe bottle is from late 1933 to May 1934. (Not Pre-Ban as has been thought)

No glasses or spoons that originated from the Old Absinthe House, or even photos of people drinking absinthe in any of the bars. (It's not even known if sugar & spoons were popular or even used in NOLA)

Other than a few Herbsaint bottles, and even fewer Herbsaint Glasses, there just hasn't been much to find, places like Lucullus import all their absinthe wares from France.
At the close of the day drink an Herbsaint Frappé,...Legendre Herbsaint, always served when absinthe is called for.
The History of Legendre Herbsaint

#16 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,734 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 05:04 PM

There he is so proud of his antique brass absinthe glass, he didn't see the vintage yellow porcelain absinthe pitcher on the shelf right behind him.

You could probably get one of those brand new for cheap somewhere.

A little technological fix to a spiritual problem.

#17 Phoenix

Phoenix

Advansed Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 09:56 PM

[answered in a PM]

Edited by Phoenix, 31 October 2010 - 02:22 PM.

"He's a politician. It's like being a hooker. You can't be one unless you can pretend to like people while you're f***ing them."

#18 Marc

Marc

absintheoriginals.com

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 07:16 AM

That one is really really funny : http://cgi.ebay.com/...p-/160511151455

Posted Image

:laf:

Edited by Marc, 26 November 2010 - 07:18 AM.

#19 techdiver

techdiver

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 07:50 AM

:shock: Truly hilarious! Where is the support stand for the handle?

#20 m.a.mccullough

m.a.mccullough

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 10:55 AM

I didn't realize absinthe was so big in the 50's! My ignorance amuses me some times. :laf:
Absinthe Veritas, Distiller Probitas. These are the things we fight for.

#21 rob fritz

rob fritz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 12:25 PM

Damn, my mom had one just like that years ago, wait till she finds out the treasure she had thrown away !

#22 brewmaster

brewmaster

• PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 01:31 PM

Here you can get your fix on the go!

Attached Files

No excellent soul is exempt to a mixture of madness. - Aristotle

#23 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,309 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 12:13 PM

Here's one for you... a book, written by one of our own WS members! Ms. Black, is this a true story??!!
:cheers:

2nd Glass of Absinthe

#24 rob fritz

rob fritz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 02:32 PM

Do we really need a book that shows absinthe in a bad way even if it is fiction?
Hallucinations brought on by absinthe, really ?

#25 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,309 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 02:43 PM

I was hoping that she wrote this BEFORE becoming a WS member for the same reason!

#26 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 17,002 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 02:46 PM

Do we really need a book that shows absinthe in a bad way even if it is fiction?

Agreed but cut our writer a little slack. The book was apparently first published in 2003 with some excepts dating back to 1995. Only 7 years ago, what did most of us know about absinthe? I was still drinking Czech Absinth Strong and thought it was the real deal chalked full of thujone goodiness.

Perhaps Ms Black will hang around long enough to learn what absinthe is really about, too. :cheers:

#27 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,309 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 03:08 PM

Exactly Joe, she's very nice, and an interesting addition to our community!

#28 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,751 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 04:02 PM

Only 7 years ago, what did most of us know about absinthe? I was still drinking Czech Absinth Strong and thought it was the real deal chalked full of thujone goodiness.

Hey, you could've joined FV and escaped your self imposed absinth misery years earlier than you did, you know.

I remember drinking some pretty good really clandestine Swiss la bleue in 2000. :harhar: ;)

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#29 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 17,002 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 04:15 PM

If only I would have known of...what's this other place you speak of? FV? ;)

Exactly Joe, she's very nice, and an interesting addition to our community!

So why did you post the ebay link? And if you had read the ebay link, you would have seen the 1995 copyright date. :laugh:

#30 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,734 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 04:46 PM

I remember drinking some pretty good really clandestine Swiss la bleue in 2000. :harhar: ;)

:wheelchair:

A little technological fix to a spiritual problem.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association