Sign in to follow this  
Tweakin

What do you guys think?

So I picked up a bottle of Grande Absentina recently and tried it for the first time last night. I poured a shot into a glass, then used an absinthe spoon to strain a sugar cube with ice water untill it was about 2/3rd water. My first impression was that it had a strong licorice smell, similar to Jager but not quite as strong. A friend and I each downed a glass, the taste wasn't over powering but it seemed to cling to the inside of your mouth.

i've done some research and there seems to be a huge, huge, HUGE, variety of Absinthe on the market, i'm just curious as to how the american absinthes compare to their european cousins and even if there's any similarities. I did find something that was explaining the different spellings for Absinthes, and that Absinth and Absintina weren't real absinths(i didnt notice absintina on my bottle till i bought it)

Also is it true that some absinthes contain hollucinogenic(i know i butchered that word) properties?

Edited by Tweakin

Grande Absente is a mass-produced brand made with artificial color and flavoring oils, somewhat of a down-market option. It's bottled pre-sweetened, which arguably omits it from the "authentic absinthe" category.

Have a look at our reviews section on the home page for other users' and experts' opinions on various brands.

No absinthe has or had hallucinogenic properties; not Europe, not here, not now, not ever. It's a myth.

High quality absinthe is high quality no matter what it's country of origin. Take a look at the reviews and recommended vendors and try yourself something really good. If you liked the Grande Absente you will love the good stuff. Don't expect to get more than a happy buzz from the stuff, its no more a drug than whiskey is. (i will admit it does make me feel different than other alcohol does. That is a hype I personally do agree with. Just like wine also makes you feel different than other alcohol.)

And another fact you should know is the modern day quality absinthe are practically identical to the stuff of histories legends. So try some and experience the 19th century for yourself. :cheers:

hahaha i dont really have 7 grand to throw at a bottle at the moment...

i did do some research, a lot of "experts" have said that it wont do anything, and infact Thujon can cause convulsions in high doses. i can only assume thats why its limited to 10 ppm in the US, though in England its 10 milileters i believe(maybe all of europe but im no expert) but i know Germanys allows a higher content.

i did feel something, we each took it before going to oktoberfest and that 1 shot plus a large hefe definately had me very buzzed, but who knows maybe most of it was psychosematic. until the next time!

i will check out the reviews more, but i'm also very limited in the selection catagory as the only place i've ever seen carry it has been BevMo and they only had 5 or 6...one of which was on the artificial absinthe list for reviews

Edited by Tweakin

online orders are the way to go for selection. Some sites like rueverte.com drinkupny.com and absintheonline.com offer free shipping when you send 100- 200 dollars depending on the site you use. there are plenty of good absinthes offered through all those sites. If you really want to jump into the world of absinthe check them out. Bevmo doesn't really have a good absinthe selection. Kübler and lucid are decent. obsello and mansinthe aren't bad and st george isnt really traditional absinthe but i still like it.

I dont think the UPS man is going to card the person who answers the door.

I ordered mansinthe for my first bottle. The peoplewhohavehadit says its good.

Everyone raves about the Jades...

But what makes you focused on the area that the absinthe is made? I mean, I may not know if it's important or if it makes a big difference, what'smore important I think, would be that you figure out how to tell the difference between "fake" absinthe or absinthes that claim their something their not. Other than that I think you ok, you just want to know what you want out of your drink to know which bottle to buy.

I want to say I was carded by a delivery person at some point. I know I've gotten packages having something about containing alcohol, and should not be delivered to minors.

Tweakin,

I'm in the same boat. I inherited a bottle of Grande Absinte from a friend who disliked the taste and was after some strange effect from it. He didn't experience anything tangible (from his expectant perspective) and gave the bottle to me.

I first experienced this bottle from doing a shot with my friend and have since attempted a traditional louche and I prefer the louche to taking a shot. The taste, experience and overall body effect is much better when prepared traditionally. I have also been looking to purchase a traditional bottle to have something for comparison. I have been looking through websites and sifting through Google searches (which is also how I found this forum) and the price for a bottle of Absinthe shouldn't be too awful expensive for currently produced Absinthe. The largest cost is shipping from overseas. I have been looking through the importers here in the states and trying to cross reference what they offer against reviews and recommendations. There is a top ten posting in these forums. I'm going to average them, find the overall most popular bottle and see where I can find it.

If I come across any useful info I'll post another reply here.

I did enjoy the Grande Absinte, especially when prepared correctly, I'm really looking forward to a top quality bottle.

As for the effect, it was unlike a hard alcohol experience and only somewhat like wine or mead. I found that the feeling throughout my brain was relaxed, like with all alcohol, but alert and clear. I was more engaged and lucid than with any other alcohol. That is just my inexperienced two cents. I wish you the best.

Ryan

There is a top ten posting in these forums. I'm going to average them, find the overall most popular bottle and see where I can find it.

You could always save yourself some time and visit the review section of the main page. That should give you some good ideas as well.

Thanks for the tip Brian. I have read through the reviews some and I feel a bit overwhelmed. That was why I was going to start from something simple like the top ten.

I enjoy the Anise flavor and it's not something I'm trying to get away from (as I have read in some reviews on other sites). What I would like to find is the best average Absinthe. I'm not after something that is high in alcohol just for the alcohol, or has a lot of wormwood for the "effect". The qualities I'd much prefer to focus on are taste, louche (which IS the taste if you ask me) and price. Could I maybe pick your brain some?

Pick away. Hopefully we can help. :cheers:

What would you recommend for someone who, essentially, hasn't yet tried an authentic Absinthe but instead one home-brew-who-knows and Grande Absente. I enjoy the anise flavor and if you had to choose between two, I would prefer the sweeter one. I'd like to keep the price of the bottle under $100.00 if possible, but it's not something I am inflexible on. Thank you for your help. :cheers:

I was looking at these, what do you think of them?

Delaware Phoenix "Walton Waters" Absinthe Superieure

Pacifique Absinthe Verte Superieure

Berthe de Joux

Jade PF 1901

Berthe de Joux

Jade PF 1901

Yes

Yes

Not familiar

Yes

My humbe $.02

Trid

Berthe de Joux

Jade PF 1901

All are very good. If price is a concern, then I recommend sticking with either the Walton Waters or Pacifique and ordering from a US online retailer. You'll be very happy with any of them though.

Thanks Trid.

Thank you Brian, I think I'll try the Walton Waters. It was what I was leaning towards anyway. The next bottle I'll try from overseas. Thanks for the help everyone.

I'm going to take a shot in the dark and say that Zman was referring to Pacifique. Check his forum signature as to why that is. ;)

The Walton Waters is excellent! It has a traditional flavor profile and thick louche that I love.

All are very good. If price is a concern, then I recommend sticking with either the Walton Waters or Pacifique and ordering from a US online retailer. You'll be very happy with any of them though.

What he said.

I think any of those would do you well. I do have a soft spot on your list for one in particular.... ;)

Which one? And could you tell me what you like best about it?

I'm going to take a shot in the dark and say that Zman was referring to Pacifique. Check his forum signature as to why that is. ;)

:wave2:

The Walton Waters is excellent! It has a traditional flavor profile and thick louche that I love.

Hahahaha well I feel silly, and a little blind :laugh: :fork: :fork: :fork:

Congrats Zman on the many favorable reviews. I will absolutely be trying the Pacifique :cheers:

not blind at all, just not familiar with all the names and identities here. I might point out that all of the absinthes on your list get great reviews (and from what I've had of them are excellent). 2 of them are made by people who post regularly on this forum. Easy information to find, but may encourage you to go beyond the review section.

I suggest you try ALL those. That list did not contain a blanche however, which is something you need to try. One of the best available in the US is Duplais blanche, available at Drink Up NY.