Sign in to follow this  
iculus

Another newcomer

Hello, Im new to the forum. I first tried absinthe roughly 10 years ago. I was immediately captivated by it. But due to the high cost of importing absinthe, and the fact that I was a broke college kid at the time I was forced to give up my new hobby after just a few years. My current interest/obsession was rekindled last year when I found out I can now get it in the states. Since then I have been casually drinking Lucid, which up until the last few months was the only true absinthe I could find in Omaha, NE. I have been searching local liquor stores high and low for new brands but other than Lucid the only thing I can find is St George, Pernod, and Mati Hari and they all cost around $80-$90 per bottle. If Im going to spend that kind of money I might as well import the good stuff. I have read through much of the forum but I do have a few questions. Can anyone direct me to any American based websites that sell absinthe (other than the brands already listed above)? And are there any good american sites that sell glasses, spoons, fountains, and such?

Thanks in advance for any help! :cheers:

Hi iculus, and welcome.

DrinkUpNy (DUNY) is very well regarded here for domestic absinthe and some imports, and Maison D' Absinthe is a great place to get all the peripherals. They are both part of our "recommended vendors" list.

Edited by Herbaceous Vic

Here ya go.

Welcome to the Forum.

As has been mentioned, the absinthe market in the US has changed a lot in the last decade. Like Nebraska, Montana has very few and unimpressive choices. That will change for Montana in less than three weeks. ;)

There are several online stores that will ship absinthe to your doorstep for a reasonable fee. The news is almost all good. :cheers:

oh and one other question, I am considering biting the bullet and ordering a bottle of PF 1901. I have read many of the reviews on the main site but nothing that actually compares this absinthe to pre ban Pernod Fils. It is my understanding that PF 1901 is an attempt to recreate an old Pernod recipe. Please correct me if Im wrong. Im curious if such a comparison has been written and if so, where can I find it?

Apologies if these questions should be asked in a different sub-forum but like I said, Im new.

Read the reviews of the main WS website. PF 1901 (one of my personal favorites) is supposedly based on a Pernod fils recipe but you can't re-create the 100 years of aging the original has. Comparing the two just isn't quite right in my mind.

Nothing wrong in asking that question here, either. :cheers:

you can't re-create the 100 years of aging the original has

but Joe can't we compare it to a fresh new bottle as it would have been back in 1901? Thats what I like to think I am drinking when I drink PF191. :biggrin:

Welcome Iculus, look forward to having you here for many glasses of absinthes and discussions.

Edited by m.a.mccullough

Compare, no. Not unless you're as old as Absomphe and actually drank it when it was fresh. :wheelchair:

But you can pretend it's a fresh bottle from 1901 and for all we know, it is the same.

But you can pretend it's a fresh bottle from 1901 and for all we know, it is the same.

Isn't pretending fun? :D or in more elegant terms, isn't acting fun. Well until the day I can get my hands on both a delorean and some plutonium I will continue to pretend.

Well until the day I can get my hands on both a delorean and some plutonium I will continue to pretend.

You can buy uranium on Amazon for cheap, then make the plutonium yourself!

Don't forget to pick up a Delorean here and a Flux Capacitor at O'Reilly Auto Parts. They also have the upgrade if you want to avoid the plutonium route.

I saw one parked on central a few years ago. Had a "California Hiway Patrol" sticker on one of the side windows.

"People who viewed this item also viewed: Parent Child Testing Product 5 Pack; Fresh Whole Rabbit; Gangsta Rap Coloring Book; Barbie Video Girl Doll; Illustrated Stories From The Bible; Caligula (The Unrated Edition)..."

also viewed: Parent Child Testing Product 5 Pack; Fresh Whole Rabbit; Gangsta Rap Coloring Book; Barbie Video Girl Doll; Illustrated Stories From The Bible; Caligula (The Unrated Edition)..."

<--- sounds like a few of her relatives. :headbang:

Welcome :cheers:

Oh yeah! Welcome!

And Hedonmonkey, I just saw your signature. I rather liked Les Pacte des Loups.

Julie from CatskillCellars is great! She carries, what I would consider some of the best absinthe offerings around! Her Delaware Phoenix products are absolutely top notch! Just plain old delicious! I love both the Walton Waters and Meadow of love but MoL is a personal favourite! They're awesome absinthes and wonderful stuff!! Highly recommended by many besides myself! :thumbup: You won't be disappointed!