Sign in to follow this  
P.W.W

I'm about to try my first absinthe

Hello everyone :)

I just ordered my very first bottle of absinthe - Berthe de Joux from Emile-Pernot. I have never drunk absinthe before and I am very excited :D

I would like to ask respected members of the WWS what other brands should I try. I know there are dozens if not hundreds of different brands. I would like to have an opportunity to try several quality absinthes, different from each other, representing different places on the spectrum, different absinthe experiences, if I may phrase it like that.

Edited by P.W.W

Welcome to the forum. Try searching our user submitted reviews to get a good idea of what to try. By the way, you're off to a great start (Berthe de Joux)!

Well, I'd love to know how it goes, sounds like you'll be getting your bottle before me. I'm going to be trying a few different kinds my first go in a couple weeks. I know everyone helped me a ton after I explained what I want from my absinthe. If you like bitter, or sweet--- more minty, licorice, or something else. I've found absinthe comes in soo many ways. These guys will help you tons... :euro:

What he said.

Personally, I'd go with Delaware Phoenix, Pacifique, and Leopold's.

I've been hearing good things about Perroquet, as well.

Your first choice was certainly well played, btw! :cheers:

If you live in the US, I'd say go with Meadow of Love and Walton Waters. They can be ordered from Catskill Cellars and Astor Wine & Spirits.

I've been hearing good things about Perroquet, as well.

Your first choice was certainly well played, btw! :cheers:

Just tried the Perroquet over the weekend and it's a must order soon for me, but the BdJ is an incredible start. I can agree with everyone else's suggestion, except for the Leopold's, which I haven't tried yet. :cheers:

Edited by techdiver

Thank you everyone for suggestions :biggrin:

Leopold's (Leopold Brothers Absinthe Verte I assume :)), Pacifique (Pacifique Absinthe Verte Superieure) Delaware Phoenixes, Perroquet and the Jade series ;)

This gives me an idea where to start :)

PS. My BdJ arrives tomorrow! :biggrin:

Edited by P.W.W

So I've been drinking BdJ for two days now :thumbup:

I find it very enjoyable, very intriguing. You take a sip and you feel different things for another half a minute ;)

I find it tastiest at 1:3.5 - 1:4 dilution ratio :)

Edited by P.W.W

That is an excellent place to start......sheesh, I wish I'd found this place earlier.

The other suggestions are very nice as well. Buy them all! Cheers!

I find it tastiest at 1:3.5 - 1:4 dilution ratio :)
That usually works for me, too. Watered weaker and I have a tendency to get disappointed and knock it back so then I have to make another. It's a vicious cycle.

Pacifique is tasty. It has a nice vanilla note that reminds me of maple-syrup. If you are interested in trying something a little different, try the St. George. It's a bit non-traditional, but it's very intensely flavored.

Agreed. St. George is a tasty treat but it is in no way a representation of what an absinthe is suppose to taste like. Its worth trying, but if you want to try absinthe, it is not it, its more of a variation of absinthe like flavored vodkas are still called vodkas but they are nothing like what a vodka is ment to taste like.