Sign in to follow this  
ambivalentzombie

HELP YA'LL

Distilling wormwood takes some of the bitterness away. It will be herbal and refreshing.

Well, I read that somewhere.....

I've not tried Mansinthe yet. I've heard good things about it though.

Enjoy your first purchase, :cheers:

I'm already impatient though..

Brewing mead will help with that...

:twitchsmile:

Edited by baubel

I had my first glass of Mansinthe last Saturday evening. I thought it was just fine. :cheers:

I thought so too. A nice solid verte, nothing too complex but very enjoyable.

It makes me feel wierd that I wasnt totally in love with mansinthe like everyone else is. I think I need to try a Jade... I also want to try the ones with un-traditional flavors. I liked the black liqorice flavor. But the "flowerie" taste was not a favorite. I think I need buttery vs flowers...

I don't think "totally in love" describes my feelings for Mansinthe. I believe GB and I are in agreement: It is a good traditional verte but I don't think it knocked our socks off. It wouldn't make my top ten list but I wouldn't turn down another glass, either.

If I were you, I would look into some of the American micro-brewery absinthe makers... like Pacifique or Delaware Phoenix... honestly they make absinthe which rivals the best of the best from Europe. I've had the Jade Pf1901 and at 90 dollars a pop, it really isn't any better than Pacifique or Meadow of Love. In fact, I like the American ones better... a lot better, and the cost is much less.

~Andrew

Edited by avasatani

I'm just going to have to read more. Maybe I'll go get a book tonight that helps me figure out what ingredients and herbs do for the flavor and what combinations are best. I'm going to start searching for absinthes that say things like "buttery" or "candy" or "cinnamon" or "coffee"... I like the liqorice taste and don't mind the burn or minty aftertaste, but I'm not much for the "flower" like taste which is what knocked me out on the mansinthe.

I will say though, I haven't had one in a few hours, and I already miss the smell. haha!... Addiction is right. AND I've slept better these last couple days than in months...

Mansinthe was recommended for being a decent representation of a good quality traditional verte that is cheap and readily available, not so much because it is anyones favorite. It is a good example of what you should expect from most absinthes. I mean If it is completley off putting to you then absinthe is probably not your thing, but it was a pleasant (even if underwhelming or not up to you expectations) experience, then some of the other brands out there may be worth looking into for you.

It is a good example of what you should expect from most absinthes.

Exactly. Even those that have hints of chocolate or cinnamon or anything else you're looking for, they will still have the same characteristic 'licorice' flavor of the anise, and flowery mintiness of the wormwood (in varying degrees of course).

Mansinthe was a great place to start.

Absinthe Explore from Rue Verte might be worth checking out.

It took me a while of tasting and exploring other absinthes before I could even decide which ones I liked. I'm still not completely certain. Once you have all that figured out your tastes will probably change and then you'll find yourself not quite in love with whatever brand you do like. Or maybe absinthe isn't your thing and that's fine. Some people around here drink more beer than absinthe. ;) :twitchsmile:

The eoropeans are catching up real fast though...

I understand they now lead the league in spelling. :twitchsmile:

Dam you, I was hoping Sixer would catch that typo! :cheers: :laugh:

I don't drink beer at all. I only had it twice in my life. Once my dad gave me a sip when I was about 4 or 5, then when I was 15... The smell of beer to this day turns my tummy.

I prefer to stick to hard liqour..Mixed drinks... Vodka & OJ is my everyday drink of choice. We have this one drink in the bars downtown called "walk me home, sweet jesus"... Its tasty, but killer.

I do have another problem, it's very... VERY serious... I'm almost out of absinthe. *horror music* AHHHHHHH!!!

So the story goes, I was in an incubator for the first 6 mos. of my life. Started out losing weight and actually dropped to 2lbs. 2 oz. Anyway, the nurse who cared for me went on to take care of me when my parents went away and she would give me a little beer to help me get to sleep at night. So I've truly been a beer drinker for most of my life. As to vodka and oj, first time I got truly drunk in my life, at age 16, it was on that. I was so sick and I've never been able to drink it since. Now for some reason, throw a little Galliano in there and I'm good.

Well lets clarify a little more on that point kibbles. Its in your top 5 out of what? I mean If someone only tastes 5 absinthes then even the worst would be in their top 5. Or if someone has only tried terrible absinthe then the mediocre brands would be in their top 5. (not that i am saying mansinthe is bad or mediocre, just making a point here) A lot of us have made a favorite absinthe list but i want to warn people about choosing based on peoples top 5 because you never know what those top 5 were up against. And another thing to note is favorites change, for example My favorite absinthe use to be brands that i am ashamed to mention that receive terrible scores on this site because they use to be the only absinthes I had tasted, but then I tried more brands (higher quality thankfully) and now my top 5 list has changed and will probably continue to do so as I try more brands. (life would be boring for me if my top 5 was written in stone because there would be no reason for me to try anything else, no variety)

Okay then....I have had 32 absinthes(alteast one whole bottle if not more) that are well recieved around these parts. The only absinthes I am not including are St. George(disgusting), Gothika(literally made me vomit), and some fakesinthe called Green Fairy. I guess I am just willing to tell anyone, Mansinthe is good stuff. I absolutely love everything I have had from that distillery. And I agree with you...variety is good. :thumbup:

Edited by kibbles

and on that note I would like to remind the forum that when Manson was blamed for the tragedy of columbine and interviewed by Michael Moore. He was asked, "if you could talk to those involved in columbine and the people in that community what would you say to them right now?" he replied " I wouldn't say a single word to them, I would listen to what they have to say, and that's what no one did." Manson is a very good guy, and for that reason I will always support him, his efforts to reach people and open their minds, and keep his absinthe in stock in my personal collection. Oh and listen to his music which I have always been a fan of. Here is to Brian Hugh Warner (Marylin Manson) :cheers: Cheers!

and on that note I would like to remind the forum that when Manson was blamed for the tragedy of columbine and interviewed by Michael Moore. He was asked, "if you could talk to those involved in columbine and the people in that community what would you say to them right now?" he replied " I wouldn't say a single word to them, I would listen to what they have to say, and that's what no one did." Manson is a very good guy, and for that reason I will always support him

Shows how much smarter he is that all the dumb*sses that were all over his case---who knew nothing about Columbine, or what happened there.

Speaking as a graduate of Columbine High School, that guy totally won me over with that quote.

Well that, and the assless chaps he wore during the MTV awards all those years ago.