Sign in to follow this  
ambivalentzombie

HELP YA'LL

The teacher in you seems to be making frequent appearances these days... ;)

That's my job here, Sir. That and emptying the ashtrays and occasionally washing the dirty dishes. Heck, I think we're all here to help teach and learn. I know I'm doing plenty of both. :cheers:

Joe, I've been told about people not liking when I spell things wrong, but, I just don't understand how my spelling could be that annoying.
I wouldn't describe it as *that* annoying any more than I'm going to get pissed at Vic for quoting the previous post. Proper spelling, punctuation and grammar help us communicate clearly. I don't get bent out of shape when these little rules are bent even though the rules are required reading for all new members. After all, this is a Forum dedicated to an alcoholic beverage and many of us have posted some pretty silly shit while under the influence. Really, it's no big deal. Relax, have a drink and have a little fun.

m.a., thats why I was so focused on getting something with an overpowering taste that was familiar to me. Like when someone says "oh this tastes like strong cinnamon" "big red gum" or "this one is so overpowering chocolate and coffee its more of a playful creation" it makes me understand what I may taste. When people say its bitter, or taste like herbs, I have no freaking clue what the crap that means, haha... When I think of herbs, I think the kind in my kitchen that I pour in cheap spagetti sauce. When I think of bitter, I think of someone making a beer face. I don't think like an absinthe drinker. So if someone tells me it tastes like crap...

I figured if it has a taste that I'm familiar with along with these "herbs" and "anise" it would let me go in slower and I can move to the stronger absinthes as I become familiar with bitterness and the different herbs you find in all absinthes.

The truth is, I do not like the flavor of alcohol. Period, I don't like it, never liked it. I'm USED to it. I like what it does, how it makes me feel, how it looks, ect. Just like the first time someone smokes. Who likes the taste of ashes when they have their first? But--- a few packs later, you can't wait to taste it. I think thats the best way to explain how I feel about it. When someone is determined to like something, they will like it. I didnt like vodka in the beginning. So I'd pour one shot in a huge glass of oj. Now, my orange juice looks more like vodka with a shot of orange juice.

I guess it doesnt help that I'm really weird about things. Like I never had a banana or strawberry before in my life, but I love banana and strawberry flavored snow cones.

Does that make since?

As far absinthe goes, I want a pretty green, not yellow or blue, a nice slow louche that makes it a shame to drink, I want the smell to knock down a sailor, but not scare off martha stewart, add sugar so it doesnt taste like toliet hooch or the bear that talks about forest fires--- if I wanted to taste nature, I'll go eat a pine cone. I want the bottle to be something I can tolerate looking at drunk, or better yet, looking at sober, I want to be able to drink it in the morning or at night, I don't want it to taste like I'm swallowing toothpaste, and I don't want it to burn soo much that it comes right back up. Anything else I can tolerate. I can stand anything that will put me in a good mood. But the better it tastes to me, the easier it is for me to drink it without pinching my nose. Is that too picky?? hahaha

Thanks guys, I'll try to do better with spelling, but I won't be perfect.

Stay away from tourment. you won't like it. tastes like toothpaste/mouth wash. As far as flavor, if you don't like black licorice you don't like absinthe. That is the most predominate flavor you are going to get aside from some that to me taste more like mint than anything (but those aren't quality absinthe really and here at the WS you will be warned to stay away from as you should since you don't want tooth paste flavors.) Anywho, it sounds to me like you want a well rounded absinthe so stick with brands that score high in all categories, definitely don't get anything that scores below a 3 in anything. Not to say you may not personally like those but they won't posses all the qualities you are looking for.

Oh, yeah... My husband is trying to convience me to get lucid or absinte, bc its at our local store but I keep telling him I don't want to try those first. Online he keeps saying namesinthe, but I keep telling him ya'll said it's icky. If I get my way, by christmas day I hope to have several bottles. Heres my list, the first 3 are my favorite I think, then I dont really care which one I buy from my list after that:

1.Mansinthe

2.Nouvelle Vague

3.Montmarte

LDF Absinthe Suisse La Verte (just because nobody's tried it.)

La Coquette

Perroquet

Jade (any and all of them)

Emile Vieux Pontarlier (or something like that, I cant remember the excact name)

Pacifique

Vieux Carre

Belle Amie

Roquette

Eichelber-something

Theres a couple more but I cant really remember, its all kinda meshing together. But I think I've been listening more than a lot of ya'll think, haha!....

Edited by ambivalentzombie

I really like the Belle Amie, the La Coquette, and Vieux bottles, and the Jade's are at the top as soon as I can afford them, there was a couple crappy ones too once I taste most of those, one was like angelique or something just because I loved the bottle so much, I don't care if I just take a sip and give the rest away, I loved the bottle. Luke said I could try his gothica so I don't have to waste money on a bottle... I'd like to find a place that has just samples...

Be careful! Luke may try to slip you some Strong 68 as well! :laugh:

It looks like you have a decent list going.

I believe you have the right attitude for the drink. Once you've had a few and read the reviews while sipping....a lot of the things will make much better sense.

Have fun, relax and enjoy a cool, well prepared adult beverage. :wave2:

Lucid isn't bad so if you must start with something you can get at your local store, Lucid should be it. However it shys in comparison to the others we have mentioned. But since its your first and you have nothing to compare it to im sure you wouldn't be disappointed. (if you even like absinthe at all of course. Liking the smell of jager is a good start to knowing you like it.)

yeah, but I don't want my first bottle to be from the store... I wanna make fun of the UPS man while I watch him try to get up my private road, then open up the box and go "Oooo, new stuff", that's part of the fun... It's especially fun if I meet him outside with an AR on my back and a .40 on my hip. Thats really priceless. Ah... A woman with a gun and a glass of whiskey... Nothing strikes fear in a man faster... hahahaha!

Well here is my two cents, if you want to start cheap while getting the best price per bottle go with DUNY since you get 2 bottles shipped for around 120 bux. If price isnt that important you can go with LDF which gets you about 3 bottles for 150 to 200 depending on what you want. There is also rueverte which offers free shipping if you spend 200 or more. of course I think getting a good price on fewer bottles is best for someone just starting out just in-case you decide its not your thing. I mean you need to be warned, if you get hooked it becomes an expensive habit ;D

Seconded!

We do firearms just fine. Now to jump the track a bit.

It was always fun to come home when we lived on a ranch and see the wife out back plinking with a rifle and have her pistol on her hip. Those were bonus days. :devil:

Ok, back to the HELP!! thread. :laugh:

Be careful! Luke may try to slip you some Strong 68 as well! :laugh:

It looks like you have a decent list going.

HA!

Actually, I'm all out (finally!) or else I'd be glad to continue to give that crap away.

Edited by Phoenix

Actually I spend on average about 100-200 bucks on booze a month anyway, so I know I can get one bottle a month with my other stuff. I just think if I drink it like I do vodka, whiskey, or rum... I'm probably in trouble.

I've read this thread from the beginning, and while this is kind of going off topic, I have a few points to make. Early on she was warned away from Alandia. Alandia has been publicly badmouthed here for selling crappy absinthe. Liquers de France (one of the WS's approved vendors) sells Nemisinthe. Why is nobody badmouthing them for this crappy product. Alandia has been badmouthed for selling faux absinthe. I quote directly from the WS FAQs - "absinthe is distilled spirit and can not be made without distilling". Emile Pernot puts out some great products. However, has anyone here looked at their description for Deniset? I quote again, from EP - "Unlike our other absinthes, the Deniset absinthe is not a result of distillation but maceration of natural herbs" Ergo, it, by WS's own criteria, is a faux absinthe. Why is no one jumping on their case? Another approved vendor, Vert d'Absinthe, sells Muse Verte, again a macerated product. Hmmmmm, WS supporting a vendor who sells faux absinthe? And lastly,doesn't it seem just a wee bit hypocritical to have an ad on the WS homepage for Absente, which is probably the king of faux absinthes ? OK, I know I'm going to get alot of shit for this post. :twitchsmile:

Edited by absinthejack

Some of those things have been brought up before. The vendors list is in the process of being updated.

I shall not give you any shit.

Hope you have a nice day among us humans. :wave2:

Hi Jack! Good to talk to you again! ;) ... I agree with what your saying when you say that one company gets a bad rap when others sell icky ones too. I've been through tons of websites, and I think every single one has bad products, so an opinion shouldnt be based just on that. You have to look at customer service, shipping rates, quality and price of the products carried, and the type of message they want to put off, plus tons of other things...

The problem with some vendors is they prey on people's ideas about thujone, drug related effects and off the chart bullshit.

Granted, LdF is still one of my faves, so is DUNY and Catskill Cellars. I haven't dealt with Jen yet but she doesn't push the "drug" thing.

All these vendors carry things I won't drink but I believe they are trying to educate instead of sell hyped crap.

I've bought from others and fell for the hype but I'm happy with the few and I like to spread the wealth with those that push education over the other stuff. I buy in rotation. Sounds weird but I like it and they all get some of my money. I try to support member vendors.

Education is the key but that is just my opinion. <shrug>

I agree 100%. Alandia no longer pushes the thujone thing. As a matter of fact, a short while ago, on their guest book, somebody wrote in and asked them to list thujone levels for different absinthes. Alandia's reply was that absinthe is so much more than thujone, it's all the herbs combined. And they also stated that thujone has nothing to do with taste or quality. They have also stated catagorically (SP?) that absinthe won't make you trip and they discourage the Bohemian fire ritual. What more does the WS want to realize Alandia is not evil and is a respectable vendor?

Edited by absinthejack

Oh, yeah... My husband is trying to convience me to get lucid or absinte, bc its at our local store but I keep telling him I don't want to try those first.

A couple years back, I would have said go ahead with the Lucid, but now there are much better absinthes available that are similarly affordable.

Absente? Don't waste your money.

The list you posted looks pretty respectable overall...as I said above, I would start with a more standard absinthe. Beginning your exploration with something off-beat such as Nouvelle Vague (coffee, right?) or Montmartre (cinnamon) might skew your expectations, but I daresay neither will do lasting harm the way Czechsinthe would.

NB: this is the nice absinthe forum.