Sign in to follow this  
ambivalentzombie

HELP YA'LL

If I go with drinkupny.com, I'm getting mansinthe for sure, and hopefully a bottle of either Obsello or La Fee... And if I go with absintheonline.com I'm getting Mansinthe and Montmartre and maybe even the chocolate absinthe for fun. And I wanna get this right, everyone votes no on Nemesinthe, right?

I know you have probably already placed your order. I don't think it includes either the Obsello or La Fee. I didn't read everything after this very carefully, but I know you mentioned Obsello again. And I know you mentioned that you don't like mint as much.

Obsello is a spanish absinthe. And it has mint. plenty of mint. (and lemon balm, which I don't like as much). Now it's also tasty, but... If you're hoping for something less minty, I would steer clear of this one for a while.

and La Fee... I've not had any since something like 2000, but... there are so many better things in this world. So many. Better good things, and better bad.

Thank you density. The Obsello was one someone had suggested to me earlier on, so I was trying real hard to get what everyone thought I should. I was also trying to pick an absinthe that was more "plain jane" or better put, "normal" because my husband likes mint and licorice than I do, he also doesnt mind strong or a bitter bite after effect, so I thought I'd make him try out something a little stronger than the Mansinthe or Montmartre. Actually, my husband baught some stuff at the gunshow today, so we made a deal. I get to wait till this friday to put in my order AND... I get to spend more money, so I was thinking of maybe a Jade?...

I've never had it, so until someone who has can step in, I'll say that the distillery that makes Nouvelle Vague is known for making very good absinthe. It's probably pretty good.

Edited by Phoenix

I put it on my list: "order by Christmas", unless, someone says its bad. Possibly this Friday... I like the bottle, & the discription.

Side note. I'm drinking a "drunkin' zombie" watching Dracula & the UFC.

Edited by ambivalentzombie

FYI liquers de france (absintheonline.com) has the Nouvelle Vague as well so you can take advantage of the free shipping as well as pick up other wonderful bottles.

If I remember right, Nouvelle Vague is a chocolate and coffee expression of absinthe. Keep that in mind. It's definitely not at all the profile of absinthe, but instead should only be considered as an experiment or playful creation.

even some of the dreaded ones like Gothica and Stong68... I want to be able to say why I don't like them vs saying, everyone told me not to. I think experiencing all aspects are important if I want to know what I'm talking about. Would you agree?

While you're at it, why don't you drive a railroad spike through your foot, just so you can be sure that it's a really really bad idea?

Sorry, let me try to be helpful, if it's not too late. I think you are over-thinking this problem. Stop worrying about minty notes versus licorice notes versus whatever. Stop worrying about shaving a few bucks off the price here or there. If you are new to absinthe, you would do well to choose a quality and not particularly eccentric brand that will give you a baseline for what to expect. If you choose any of the following brands, most of which are available at DUNY and all of which are very good, you will be fine:

Vieux Pontarlier

Duplais Verte

Pacifique

Marteau

Walton Waters

If you want to drop some serious $$ on a great product, then any of the Jades are a great choice. Also, there are Roquette, Doubs Mystique, etc. Read the reviews on the main Wormwood Society site. Note that those absinthes that have both a high average score AND a high number of reviews are likely to be good choices.

Once you've learned what absinthe is about, by all means try something unusual such as L'enjoleuse or Montmartre.

As for Stong68...really? Please, learn from the mistakes of others and avoid the phoney absinthes. Good luck with your purchase.

some of ya'll arent very patient or open minded are you? I've been nothing but nice to everyone and just came to learn about absinthe. I've tried so hard to do everything ya'll have told me, and I'm just asking questions. Some of you have really hurt my feelings, and for what? Why? Because Im nieve about a drink or because I'm neutral about a website?? Man, that is such a great idea! To turn your nose up at someone just because they're different! I haven't seen such genius since jr. high! I may not be the smartest person in the world, but I would never alienate anyone for any reason because I know it's cruel and wrong. You may know more about absinthe, but I know more about being a decent human being.

To all of you who have been nice, and treated me like appropriately, thanks. I really appreciate your advice and humanity.

some of ya'll arent very patient or open minded are you? I've been nothing but nice to everyone and just came to learn about absinthe. I've tried so hard to do everything ya'll have told me, and I'm just asking questions. Some of you have really hurt my feelings, and for what? Why? Because Im nieve about a drink or because I'm neutral about a website?? Man, that is such a great idea! To turn your nose up at someone just because they're different! I haven't seen such genius since jr. high! I may not be the smartest person in the world, but I would never alienate anyone for any reason because I know it's cruel and wrong. You may know more about absinthe, but I know more about being a decent human being.

To all of you who have been nice, and treated me like appropriately, thanks. I really appreciate your advice and humanity.

Dear, oh dear... Allow me:

Here's the thing, Ambi - you've landed in what I believe to be THE AUTHORITY on absinthe on the web. You've received sage advice from many who've been where you've been and done what you've done with regards to absinthe. In spite of this, it seems you require way more handholding than some of the folks here are willing to give.

Two of the aims of this forum are education on the truth about absinthe, and helping folks new to the beverage to avoid the pitfalls of an often confusing and frequently misleading marketing onslaught.

If you go back to post #47, the "troll" reference is actually referring to the sheer number of posts you shot out initially (I joined in August of this year, and I just barely hit 50 posts the other day, we're all different, I know) and your apparent disregard for that advice (or waffling?) afterwards. In case you're not aware, a "troll" is someone who enters a forum for disingenuous purposes, or to just stir things up. Techdiver noticed, and I'm sure he wasn't the only one, but in spite of this, we continued to try to help you.

This website is VAST, and has tons of information which should help most to, at the very least, make an informed decision on their first absinthe purchase.

Does this help you understand why some (right or wrong, patient or otherwise) would be a bit tired by now?

I understand your feelings.

There are several folks here that understand people more than absinthe, quite a few in fact.

It's a wonderful thing to try the good and bad....curiosity I reckon.

I've bought good and bad booze. I prefer the good booze and some of the advice you've read were probably meant to save you lots of $$$.

We were overjoyed when we were able to buy absinthe in the USA and not pay $100 or more for two or three bottles to be shipped to us.

If you want to try LTV may I suggest an alternative....Nyquil. Seriously!

Some of the hype is geared directly for people looking for effects and so forth.

Absinthe is an anise based herbal liquor. Each one will have it's own herbal profile. Not everyone agrees with each other and that's why the review section is mentioned so much.

I read reviews and buy accordingly. Sometimes I'm still not happy because it doesn't suit my taste but it's better than drinking kerosene.

Have a nice day......oh, if you think these folks are rough, there are worse places to ask your questions.

Hope I didn't hurt your feelings. I really didn't intend to.

Peace

Vic was faster than me.

Edited by OMG_Bill

If you go back to post #47, the "troll" reference is actually referring to the sheer number of posts you shot out initially

Not really. A Troll refers to someone that purposefully tries to irritate a forum group usually with inflammatory posts. In this case, it appeared that when someone directly answered ambivalentzombie's questions or provided learned advice, she seemed to dismiss the answer and/or advice and asked the same question again and again.

Making a wealth of posts (usually with little content) can certainly be irritating although no one has threatened to kill Absomphe or me.

One problem with forum communication is the loss of inflection. Try not to take things too personally, ambivalentzombie. Without inflection (or a host of emoticons), it's sometimes difficult to know if someone is just kidding around or if they're peeved at answering the same question dozens of times in dozens of other posts. Consider, several of us have told literally thousands of people to avoid particular brands. And by all means, do not lash out with namecalling. This group is slow to anger and deserving of respect for their cumulative knowledge but once angered, it is not pretty.

One last little thing: use spell check. ;)

And Herb.Vic: don't quote the previous post. :laugh:

Not really. A Troll refers to someone that purposefully tries to irritate a forum group usually with inflammatory posts. In this case, it appeared that when someone directly answered ambivalentzombie's questions or provided learned advice, she seemed to dismiss the answer and/or advice and asked the same question again and again.

Thanks Joe - but that's basically what I was saying (it's all there in my post). The teacher in you seems to be making frequent appearances these days... ;)

Her posts may not have been "inflammatory" in the truest sense of the word, but I'm sure several of us were feeling "inflamed" after her apparent disregard for our very informed answers.

So. Let me get this right... Because I type a lot, I'm a "troll"?... Because I was soo excited to find a place where I thought I could come and ask all my questions, I'm a person who likes to stir things up?

I am young, and curious. I spent literally 24/7 on this site trying soo hard to word things right and say the right things because I was soo worried about ya'll liking me. I wanted a place to go where I had something in common with someone. My husband asked me everytime I sat here crying why I put up with some of the harsh things and "jabs" people made, and the only thing I could come up with was I wanted to prove that I was an ok person to talk to. After the first couple of days, I tried everything to fit in. Agreeing, sucking up, "jabbing" or poking fun (which is very much out of character for me, but everyone else here does it, so I figured it might help me fit in.) Then I ended up feeling really bad about cracking an age joke, Then I just decided to be myself and thought my honesty was hard to argue with, and now all I can think of is trying to find ways to find as much money as possible to buy all the bottles ya'll like so I can be just as experienced and that way I would be just one of the group. I became soo worried that before I even thought about being interested in a bottle I felt like I had to have approval from many of you. I didnt want to make a move because I didnt want anyone to say I was wrong...

I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers what so ever, I just wanted to be friends & talk about absinthe. Period. I was raised that there are no stupid questions and the only way to learn is by study and discussion, so that's all I was trying to do...

Nobody has to hold my hand or give me help if you don't want to. So nobody should be tired, if you dread hearing what I have to say, why would you read it?

I dont care about the hype of absinthe or getting "high" off of anything, I simply like alcohol, and like the idea of absinthe because I'm into history... I like the idea of it, preparing it, taking my time enjoying it, ect... Thats something you can't get from a shot or a beer.

I just don't know what to do. I think I'm a decent person. I'm not a murderer, I don't cut people off in traffic, I stop to wave at my neighbors, and if someone is holding a sign saying their hungry I buy them lunch. There is to many impatient and unkind people in this world, I will never purposly be one of them.

Bill--- you've been kind to me, and havent made me feel like an idiot, and thats all Ive asked for, so thanks.

I don't want to waste anymore of my time being upset. I want to stay here. I want to learn about absinthe. And I want to be able to say I know a lot about it, period. I just want to get along and be liked.

Also, I havent ignored or disregaurded anyone on purpose. I have a learning disability. I don't read things correctly all the time is all that is. Its just that if you write me instructions, I may have to read it a million times to pick up every key point.

The reason I asked so much and maybe asked a question over and over is because I didnt understand the answer given before. I think when someone is excited and passionate about something, they voice it. I was soo excited about my new adventure I just exploded with questions and comments... It was enthusiasm, nothing more.

I was also trying my best to discribe how I felt, not name call. I didnt direct anything specific to any particular person. So unless you feel you have said something to make me feel the way I do, you shouldn't be insulted. Further more, I didnt point my finger at anyone and say "you're a mean ahole!" I feel like that would be namecalling. So I'm sorry if I offended you, I wasnt trying to do that. I was just trying to make everyone understand & realize how much of an impact some of your comments have made.

Joe, I've been told about people not liking when I spell things wrong, but, I just don't understand how my spelling could be that annoying. I should learn to check it, and I'll try better, I didnt realize I was making that many errors. I'm actually a little suprised because in Arkansas, my vocabulary and spelling is considered college level. But other places may have a raised bar.

Also, I'm sorry, I don't want to sound stupid, but Vic--- I don't know what you mean by waffling. I also didnt mean to "inflame" anybody. I guess we unknowingly "inflamed" each other.

Bill--- I dont know what you mean by LTV or Nyquil.

I also preferred thinking by troll they were talking about my advatar, it was a lot less hurtful than the truth.

I guess my whole point is tolerance. I can take any type of critisism as long as its in a polite way. I shouldnt have gone off the handle like that, but I simply couldnt hold it anymore. So I can try to tolerate things better as long as ya'll can.

I didn't say you WERE a troll, Ambi - I said that given the nature of your posts, some MIGHT begin to think that you might be. Joe's right - you shouldn't take these things too personally, especially if your intentions are in line with the aim of this forum.

Every forum has its particular "culture", which will take time to figure out.

I should also take this opportunity to apologize for speaking for the whole; myself and techdiver may very well have been the only ones to even entertain the "troll" thought (but again, I think not).

It may be that your youth, inexperience, and enthusiasm for the topic at hand is driving your inquiries - but at some point, I think that you either have to just dive in, or stand back, listen, and learn as much as possible.

I'm fairly certain that at the end of the day, you ordering a bottle of Strong68 from Alandia isn't going to negatively affect anyone but you.

Mrs. Zombie,

For what it's worth, you've not bothered me once since you've been here. The enthusiastic newcomers that drive me nuts are the ones who create new threads for every thought that pops into their brain. I thank you for not being one of them.

I can also completely understand your desire to try the bad brands so that you can judge for yourself and know why it is that they're bad. I'm the same way and often have to learn from my own mistakes, despite the advice of others. The bad thing about mistakes in the absinthe category is that they can be expensive mistakes! Spend your money on the good stuff. Try the bad stuff when it's available for free (it happens).

Lastly, never take anything on an internet forum too personal. I've had disagreements with people here before that I'm confidant wouldn't have been in issue if we had been face to face in front of the absinthe fountain. As Joe pointed out, a lot can be misunderstood when you can't catch the persons inflection and tone. I'm guilty of ruffling a few feathers due to my dry, sarcastic sense of humor that doesn't translate well over the internet.

- my 2 cents

Edited by Phoenix

Thanks Phoenex, its good to know I havent accidentally pissed off everyone. By the way, my 3 year old loves your picture... She likes staring at it. She's been bugging me to "let her type to the doggy man" for a week. heehee

Vic, I decided not to touch strong68 and order from one of the approved sites here. I decided to go with the users of this forum choices in absinthes a while ago. At least my first few times. I felt like my point and what I was trying to say wasnt being understood and is the only reason I talked about it more than once. It just seemed like some did not like the website I picked, so I changed. Then I was told everything from those sites were decent, then when I picked one, it was not, I kept all the choices that were suggested in mind, but when I found something nobody suggested and I could not find a review on, I asked. That was the only point to me asking. I thought if I asked everything I thought of it would leave out trial and error and I could get an absinthe I thought I would be happy with and also get everyone's approval. That is all I wanted.

The way I see it, a newcomer to the world of absinthe, or anything for that matter will be very excited and want to discuss a lot about there new found passion. All Ambi did was want to talk to as many of us as she could about everything she was finding on the web. As for "trolling" which should not be taken offensively, I "troll" time to time because I find it fun to play devils advocate and stir up debates, however I do not think Ambi was in fact "trolling" at all. Many people *bump* posts or re ask questions because once someone answers the post they feel they must ask again in order to get someone else's opinion, which is not the case here at the WS except for the exception of times when threads go off topic. What we have here is a case of knowledgeable people seeming to get irritated at a students questions, however that can't be true cuz otherwise they just wouldn't reply to the topic, so keep that in mind Ambi, also keep in mind that when you ask someone for their knowledgeable advice it is insulting to disregarded as if "they don't really know what they are talking about" instead if you are still curious about a product they tell you to steer clear of ask why you should steer clear. For the most part every thing we tell people to steer clear of we say so because it is nothing like real absinthe is suppose to be and thats what we are here for, to keep people away from over priced fake absinthe. I do not think anyone here has told you to stay away from anything just because they don't like it. If it can be called real absinthe we will simply tell you why we like it or not, but if its fake we will most definitely turn our noses up and say stay away. We are just trying to help you, no one here is trying to attack you in any way. And I implore you to at least get one bottle of something that has been suggested to you, if you still want to get something we have told you to stay away from by all means do so and then compare the two so you can see where we are coming from with our suggestions.

I promise I wasnt trying to insult anyone until I got so upset I wanted everyone to understand how they were making me feel. The truth is, techdriver's last comment combined with rereading several others just got to me. This whole time I've tried not to let anyone know they were hurting my feelings because they say when a group smells fear--- the pack attacks. I feel like I've been backed into a corner and nothing I say is going to be acceptable by some of you.

m.a., you have been extremely nice to me from the very beginning. You have no idea how much that means. You explained it very well. I had no idea I was disrespecting people's opinions by asking a question more than once and truthfully didnt realize I was doing it. I will keep in mind to ask why they don't like an absinthe before repeating myself. I guess I still don't understand how a company could say something is, put the name on the label, and it not be what it says even if it's not that great of a product. I assumed if a brand or company lied about what they were selling, they would go out of buisiness, just like I assumed that an absinthe that sold a lot and won awards couldnt be bad... But maybe I just don't know, maybe I am dumb. It was like I said before, when I told the story about how my dad's friend drank the nasty whiskey and loved it... I figured one man's poison was another man's passion. But I may be wrong...

Honestly I didn't think you did anything wrong here either, like I sad, If anyone felt you were being "annoying" with all the questions they would have just not replied. And techs "troll" comment was just him "trolling" ironically. And one mans poison can be another man's pleasure that's why I never base a products quality on its rating score but on the comments made about it. The scores themselves are pretty much based on what the "ideal" absinthe is suppose to be. Doesn't mean you will not like a 4.0 absinthe more than a 5.0. Just like some may like a lower rated Islay scotch over a higher rated highland because they prefer the big peaty smokiness as I do :D And I even drink some of the lower scored absinthes, or at least I did, and I loved them until I tried some of the higher rated stuff. I use to buy from alandia and thats where I got hooked on absinthe actually, but when I found cheaper vendors I switched to them and found that I was also getting a more pleasant and complete experience with the absinthe I was getting. Its not just about the flavor, but the mouth feel, the louche, the color, it a whole experience. Of course you may not care about the color or the louche as much as the flavor and texture right now, but once you have been drinking it for a while you will start wanting to demand more for your money like we do. So remember, read the reviews and don't let the numbers control your decisions, instead think about what it is you want out of your absinthe and will it give it to you. Do you want a beautiful green absinthe? how important is the louche to you? What about aroma? Do you prefer something that will make your room smell like a spring time in the alps or would you prefer just anise? What flavor profile are you looking for? (honestly in the beginning you will pretty much just taste anise and maybe some bitterness) Which qualities are more important than others? Do you want something that posses all the qualities you are looking for? How much are you willing to spend? These are the things you need to consider.

Also keep in mind that flavor profiles are subtle and subjective. Just cause someone tastes "chocolate" or "coffee" doesn't mean you will. A great example is when I drink an Islay scotch I taste caramel and toffee along with the smoke and peat. As a newcomer you would most likely just taste smoke and peat or wood, or just alcohol burn. As your palate develops a taste for it you still may never taste the flavors I taste.

I've always figured that the reason companies that make crapsinthe stay in business is for two main reasons.

- Their target audience isn't to get repeat customers. I believe their target audience is young college kids who just turned old enough to drink and want to "trip balls" by drinking absinthe. As luck would have it, there's a new wave of dumb college kids turning old enough to drink every year.

- The cost of making a crappy oil mix is significantly lower then a traditionally distilled absinthe meaning that they don't need to sell nearly as many bottles to turn a profit.

You'd also be doing yourself a favor to ignore any awards that any absinthe has won. Some good absinthes are award winners, and some bad absinthes are award winners. Awards currently mean nothing in the absinthe category.

Edited by Phoenix