Sign in to follow this  
ambivalentzombie

HELP YA'LL

OK--- So I found out I have to make a dicision on what bottle of absinthe I'm buying by tomorrow... RU-ROH! So I need everyone's opinion. This will be my FIRST bottle of absinthe!!! So-- I want the best bottle under 100 dollars, preferrably well under 100. What do I do??? I don't mind strong, but I prefer vanilla, buttery notes, or licorice, vs minty, I'm not a big fan of mint... Jade is too expensive I think... So--- COME ON EVERYONE! HELP ME OUT YA'LL!!! :yahoo:

Edited by ambivalentzombie

First hit the What not to buy thread a few below this one.

Once you weed out the crap and the over priced stuff it will be easier.

And if you're buying locally the selection is usually much more limited then mail order.

I always hurt myself with LDF, Emile Pernot and the Lion. Well it hurts my wallet anyway!

Never a bad purchase with those..

Guess I didn't help.

Have fun!

:cheers:

What ever you buy, remember this..... a bottle of wine will get you about four glasses. A bottle of absinthe may get you 25 drinks. The math is easy for me. ;)

I guess you'll be buying from Alandia even after what everyone has said. You're limiting your choices dramatically (and increasing shipping too), but oh well.

Why buy a middle of the road product like Maison Alandia when you can get something significantly better from a different site for less money?

As for strong, if you're preparing it properly, none of them will be strong. They shouldn't be much stronger than a glass of wine.

Oh, Brian, I've got 3 windows up, each with shopping carts full... heehee... I havent chosen Alandia for sure, but the discription of that specific kind, Maison, is the only description I can find with notes of flavors I wanted like vanilla or cinnamon... m.a. was the only person who came up with an absinthe that had those flavors "Jade" but it turned out to be out of my price range. Im also very close to Nemesinthe, Mansinthe, Belle Amie, Angélique Verte Suisse, and a few others from absintheonline.com... The research I've done is that the price from both those websites only vary about 3-7 dollars, and thats not a huge deal. Does everyone hate Alandia, or what?

Edited by ambivalentzombie

Alandia isn't one of our recommended vendors because they sell a lot of fake stuff.

You need to keep in mind that, when people talk of tasting notes, those flavors are hints, which are in unison with the overall, normal flavors of absinthe, which are wormwood and anise. Just like you might pick up hints of vanilla, orange peel, marshmallows and raisins in scotch, it will still taste like scotch.

You originally mentioned Mansinthe. That's on sale at Drink Up NY for less than $60.

If you REALLY want vanilla and cinnamon, you should buy Montmartre. It's unique, and some people are turned off by the 'baking spices' aspect of it, but I find it very enjoyable. It's one of my nostalgic guilty pleasures. If those are the flavors you're looking for, then that's your absinthe to start with. Hands down.

But if you're just looking for a good absinthe, then get Mansinthe, Vieux Pontarlier, Vieux Carre, Pacifique, Duplais, or La Clandestine from DrinkUp NY, or either of the Delaware Phoenix absinthes from Catskill Cellars. It will cost you less money when you factor in shipping, and you can rest easy knowing you've bought some of the best examples of high quality absinthe available.

Luscious Oily Lesbians! is a word filter. We frown on chat speak, as mentioned in the Newcomer's 'Read This First' section, so we add a few of those zingers in to discourage it. ;)

Brian I really appriciate your help. The problem Ive always ran into when buying any type of alcohol is that I always go strait to the "pretty bottles"... I want what I drink to be enjoyable to my eyes and well as the taste. It's always been my downfall.... I know its a horrible thing to do, so I guess I just have to force myself out of it this time. I can't find a the websites the wormwood society recommends other than the ny one and then Im also looking at absintheonline... I'm looking for a specific glass the "Reservoir Pontarlier XXL" I dont like the regular one. Does a good website have that particular glass that you know of? Or should I just pick out something else?

I remember reading that, Brian. I've tried a lot to avoid it, but I sometimes type it without thinking then I go back and Im like "wait a second." I know I didnt say something inapropriate like that. I must admit, I was a little shocked. I guess the joke's on me.

I'm looking for a specific glass the "Reservoir Pontarlier XXL" Does a good website have that particular glass that you know of? Or should I just pick out something else?

I'm not really sure why you'd want the XXL glass, when all that's going to do is really screw with your dosage during preparation. It looks like you'd need at least 8 ounces of water to properly dilute absinthe with that large of a reservoir. But if you want it, and you plan on taking my advice and buying Montmartre, then Alandia has both.

Our main site has links to all of the preferred vendors on the right hand side, click 'Absinthe Vendors' and there you'll have it. If you buy from DUNY and don't like the regular Pontarlier glasses, then you can just go to one of the other vendors on the list to pick out the glasses you'd prefer. I've always been a fan of the simple and understated cordon style glasses for beginners.

I trust ya'll to lead me in the right direction Brian. :) Without you shaking your finger and telling me no, I wouldnt know what to do, heehee! So I'm at ny and I picked a different glass and different spoon I like just as much as the XXL. Agian, I was going for what was pleasing to the eye. I have a feeling I'm going to have to break that habit soon.

Montmartre isnt on ny, but its on absintheonline

That's the one, but you're right, it's not available from DUNY, which is why I gave you the other choices to pick from if you went with DUNY. It will be tough to go wrong if you're shopping on absintheonline. Unless you buy the Nemesinthe. ;)

It sounds like Mansinthe would be a good fit for you. It's a very decent option. You might also like Brevans H.R Giger for the label art, but it costs a little more (factoring in bottle size).

Edited by Phoenix

So I think it's pretty clear that you have two main options.

Buy from DUNY, and buy Mansinthe at $59. A very good intro to absinthe, and right down the alley that you're looking for in terms of flavor.

Buy Montmartre from Absintheonline. Will cost you more (quite a bit more when factoring in bottle size and shipping), but is probably the ideal absinthe for the flavor profile you're looking for. Plus you can pick up the chocolate liqueur too. :)

IMHO, DUNY is your better choice, especially since you're new at this and you migth not even end up liking it all that much. But I don't think you can go wrong with either option.

Mansinthe may be available at your local liquor store or bar. It's got fairly wide distribution compared to other absinthes.

OK, so the mansinthe is actually cheaper on absintheonline... It's only about 45 US dollars, but I assume it will make up the difference in shipping. I'm actually thinking of picting two bottles if I go with absintheonline.... I was thinking of buying the mansinthe and the Montmartre, but I need your expert eye. Grand Pontarlier crystal absinthe glass.. Is it the same as the Pontarlier Absinthe Glass without Panel Cuts? I think it looks different but it's hard to tell. I originally picked the Pontarlier Absinthe Glass without Panel Cuts, but I may make the sacrafice if its going to get me two bottles of absinthe instead of one. The other question is, is the Mansinthe so much like Montmartre I wont see a big difference?... I'm afraid my husband is more of a black licorice fan vs the vanilla cinnamon like what I think I'll enjoy in the Montmartre (he wants me off the computer since I've spent literally the last 4 days glued to it.) So thats what braught on the must decide by tomorrow thing... I'm soo close to making my decision, :), thanks to ya'll who have helped me... Now lets get these last couple things figured out! WOOHOO!

OK, so the mansinthe is actually cheaper on absintheonline... It's only about 45 US dollars,

No, 38 pounds is $60. Plus, you're buying 50 ml less via absintheonline vs. DUNY.

The other question is, is the Mansinthe so much like Montmartre I wont see a big difference?...
They are quite different as far as absinthes go.

I'm afraid my husband is more of a black licorice fan vs the vanilla cinnamon like what I think I'll enjoy in the Montmartre
Again, I caution you regarding these flavors. ALL authentic absinthe has the dominant flavors of wormwood and anise (the black licorice flavor you mention). You can't get around this.