Sign in to follow this  
Brian Robinson

Green Movement FB page

Those comments and questions require a lot of patience, understanding and wordsmithing! Keep up the good work Brian, and I encourage anyone with FB to also join the effort.

My comment, just in case it goes away:

"Our products have the maximum levels of Northern (Grande) Wormwood out of any Absinthes sold in the US and most European countries."

How can you possibly make such a claim unless you're privy to the formulas of the other products?

• There is NO maximum level of wormwood. The amount of wormwood used is not regulated, it's the thujone that's regulated and in the US ALL spirits must be thujone free (

• Northern Wormwood (A. campestris) is NOT Grande Wormwood (A. absinthium). However it does sound like the "opposite" of Absente's previously claimed "Southern Wormwood" (A. abrotanum) which is NOT Petite Wormwood, aka Roman Wormwood (A. pontica), as was claimed.

• There are over 126 varieties of Artemisia (wormwood), only one of which, A. absinthium, qualifies a spirit as absinthe.

The advertising for all of M.P. Roux's absinthe products for the last ten years has muddied the consumer's understanding of the botanicals in absinthe by the careless and sometimes erroneous use of common names of herbs.

My comment, just in case it goes away:

"Our products have the maximum levels of Northern (Grande) Wormwood out of any Absinthes sold in the US and most European countries."

How can you possibly make such a claim unless you're privy to the formulas of the other products?

• There is NO maximum level of wormwood. The amount of wormwood used is not regulated, it's the thujone that's regulated and in the US ALL spirits must be thujone free (

• Northern Wormwood (A. campestris) is NOT Grande Wormwood (A. absinthium). However it does sound like the "opposite" of Absente's previously claimed "Southern Wormwood" (A. abrotanum) which is NOT Petite Wormwood, aka Roman Wormwood (A. pontica), as was claimed.

• There are over 126 varieties of Artemisia (wormwood), only one of which, A. absinthium, qualifies a spirit as absinthe.

The advertising for all of M.P. Roux's absinthe products for the last ten years has muddied the consumer's understanding of the botanicals in absinthe by the careless and sometimes erroneous use of common names of herbs.

Yep, it's gone.

Does anyone here actually like and drink Grande Absente or Absinthe Ordinaire?

I tried Absente a few years ago. Once.

I left one of those once, after drinking Staro. :twitchsmile:

Boo Berry gave me a fright moons ago.

Edited by baubel

Oh, and they've also apparently disabled all notifications of replies to comments, so now, you've got to go back and re-read each comment you've made to see if anyone has replied.

Clever.

A friend of mine used to say, "Why hide what's not dirty?" From the changes they've made regarding the comments, I wouldn't be surprised if someone on their end is a little nervous.

Kind of wish I hadn't been away when this crap surfaced. It would have saved a lot of time searching for it in reference to a remark in another post. At any rate, when I did find it I was dismayed to realize I'd wasted so much time to find and read this bogus mass of disinformation. There ought to be a law. String them up. Anybody got any string? Lynch them...........

As a new member I really want to help. I joined the group and posted my experience with Leopold Brothers Absinthe Verte batch 31.

this is it:

I picked up a Leopold Brothers Absinthe Verte Batch 31 the other day and of course had a couple.

I

am without words to describe my surprise at how different, how much

better, it tasted than the Grande Absente (the only other Absinthe I have tried). I knew it would be better,

...especially when so many reviews said it was good. It was night and day.

I had previously gagged down shots of absinthe to get to some mysterious effect. What a waste of time, money and absinthe. When I bought a quality bottle and prepared it the traditional way the taste was infinitely better and the expansive mind feeling I had sort of found through the shots was more clear and tangible. The drunk from all the alcohol from doing shots of Grande Absente got in the way of the true experience.

I'd recommend to anyone who wants to try it, regardless of your reasoning for wanting to try, to get a quality bottle and prepare in the traditional way (meaning no fire). I found the Wormwood Society (dot org) was an incredible resource of information on what Absinthe would be worth my money.

Would someone be so kind as to look that over and let me know if it is helpful? The last thing I want to do is hurt the cause.

:laugh: I'm so lost. I have the feeling, after looking through their page that this is a company page for the brand that I was bashing.

Ahhh my naïveté. I had thought it was an actual resource, such as this one. Oh well.

here is their reply:

Ryan - Thank you for your feedback and for providing a great resource. We will take your feedback into consideration for future products. Thank you for the honesty.

Did they remove it? I don't see it on their page.

Yes, 'The Green Movement' is the company page for Crillon, maker of Absente, Grande Absente, Ordinaire and their new one, Roux Supreme. I thought you knew that. Sorry!

Where did you post it?

Click "Just Others."

:laugh: I'm so lost. I have the feeling, after looking through their page that this is a company page for the brand that I was bashing.

Ahhh my naïveté. I had thought it was an actual resource, such as this one. Oh well.

Interesting comment. I would guess that many others on FB think that too.

Did they remove it? I don't see it on their page.

Yes, 'The Green Movement' is the company page for Crillon, maker of Absente, Grande Absente, Ordinaire and their new one, Roux Supreme. I thought you knew that. Sorry!

No worries. I realize I am not up to speed. I need to be sure I make myself more informed. As far as this forum goes I am very much in the minority in the level of knowledge of the drink and it's makers.

Click "Just Others."

Interesting comment. I would guess that many others on FB think that too.

That is what I had to do to get it to show, and I think you're right, others probably think the same thing until they dig. I was looking for photos and found their "Ad" and realized it was a company site. There is a mass of misinformation out here. I was fooled as well, for quite some time. I found this forum and I'm enjoying absinthe for what it was meant to be. It took some digging to find this resource. Not everyone who starts out climbing the mountain reaches the guru though.

You're doing just fine. Look how quickly you learned how the shills operate!

The sad part is, most of the real people there don't realize they're talking to just a few company puppets.

Wow. Now they are encouraging people to make their own bathtub absinthe.

Do you suppose they answered this way simply to be contrary to your post?

When I joined this forum I mentioned the "keyboard cowboy" tendency I notice with so much of the on-line media and social media. When I posted to their FB page I was really in the dark about them and sort of took the energy here as a sort of "bubble of goodness" with me and assumed I would find the same there. It's a little like living on a military base, enjoying the order and attention to the rules then going off base and experiencing the chaos which usually surrounds military bases.

Well since I had my eyes opened I've been reading and watching, from the way some posts get "lost" (mine for example) to the way they only answer certain posts and it seems quite juvenile. I realize this is my initial discernment, but it seems rather likely to me that they only answered that way to polarize themselves from you, which is silly and childish.

That's my two cents.... a long and wordy two cents.

Wow. Now they are encouraging people to make their own bathtub absinthe.

Do you suppose they answered this way simply to be contrary to your post?

Would not at all be surprised. They actually removed that post they made after I mentioned the legal ramifications of supporting people who make their own bathtub brand. Then they called my posts 'less and less relevant'. Ironic. :twitchsmile:

Question on the Green Movement page on Tuesday: "which absinthe has more thujone?"

Answer from the Green Movement:

"All of our Absinthes contain the maximum amount of thujone based on the legal limits set by the U.S. regulatory authorities and the European Union, which is 10 parts per million thujone content."

It must take amazing skills to be able to take those plants, smooth out all the variations that can happen from field to field, crop to crop, year to year and produce a product that has 10 mg/kg bottle after bottle after bottle ...

It must take amazing skills to be able to take those plants, smooth out all the variations that can happen from field to field, crop to crop, year to year and produce a product that has 10 mg/kg bottle after bottle after bottle ...

:sarc:

Not to mention all the painstaking time and chemistry involved every batch to calculate and reformulate the product to make sure they get the exact amount of thujone every time! No wonder it costs so much to buy crapsinthe that basis its product on thujone hype.

Edited by m.a.mccullough