Sign in to follow this  
Brian Robinson

WS tasting journal front cover

From my original announcement:

It is with great pride that I introduce the publication of the Wormwood Society's Absinthe Tasting Journal.

This project all started when I decided I needed a better way to compile all of my written reviews than the multiple moleskine notebooks I had hanging around all over the place. So I started to put together a mini book that I was going to self publish on lulu, just to get something well constructed.

When I emailed Gwydion to ask if it would be OK to use the WS tasting system in the bindings, it occurred to me that I can't be the only person who has a ton of reviews and who plans on doing many more. So the collaboration began.

With a bunch of help from Ron in designing the tasting pages, and more help from Gwydion with some of the content and the wonderfully designed cover, we finally have a finished product!

I wanted to make sure it was easy to use, so here's what I did:

1) Soft bound, so it's easy to tote around and isn't too heavy. 9" wide x 7" tall x approx 1" thick.

2) Room for more than 200 brand reviews

3) Tabbed and alphabetized pages so it's easy to keep track of where each brand is located in your journal

4) Room for an initial review AND a follow-up review on each page (approx 400 total reviews)

5) Spiral bound so that it will lay flat while writing your review

6) Approximately 30 pages or so of absinthe information, ranging from a brief history for absinthe newcomers to a slightly more advanced absinthe FAQ. Most of this info won't be new to you all, but it's an easy way for you to introduce some of the major points about absinthe to anyone who inquires.

Stay tuned for more info about release dates and pricing. Much of the proceeds will go to the WS general fund which we use for site upkeep, publication of fliers, tasting event expenses, etc. We're working through the last of the wrinkles right now, and everything should be good to go probably by next week.

A sample of the table of contents:

- Absinthe history

- Is absinthe a drug?

- What is thujone?

- How to prepare absinthe

- Is US absinthe REAL absinthe?

- General info on production methods

- types of absinthe (distilled, compounded, macerated)

- How to store absinthe

- Fuille morte

- What to look for when buying absinthe

No worries. I think there might have been a bit of a glitch with the original post because lots of people couldn't see the pic I posted either.

There's also a good chance we'll be coming out with two versions of the book: one for sale on Lulu that is softcover and spiral bound for the hard core journalists, and a hardcover or perfect bound version for sale on Amazon and B&N for casual reviewers.

It will be so nice to have 1 resource for all this info, and so many blank review pages! It is a great way to share info with others as well...just hand them the book, and let them see everything together, including the reviews.

I can't wait to support you guys and get a copy.

I'm with you Scott, and mine will begin at damn near the beginning of my exposure to absinthe. Nice timing :)

I think it would be nice to get the spiral for the practical use and the hardbound for the bookcase and to share with friends who don't drink absinthe much or at all. I could use hardbound to transcribe the "all stars" in there for those new folks and so I wouldn't have to hand out the spiral which would be more like a field book. That's cool that it's going to be offered in three different bindings.

I'm also with you in wanting to support the efforts of the fine folks here.

Now i am gonna have to re purchase all the empty bottles of absinthe i have so that I can input them into this journal. Thanks a lot guys. ;)

(well not all of them, some of them can just stay as far away from me and this journal as possible)

:pirate:

There's about 40 pages of absinthe history and a really good FAQ section, but yes, the rest is all your legwork. :)

I figured moleskine had taken enough of my money for my reviews of all spirits, beers, wines, etc. At least I could have a customized absinthe journal!

I thought it was going to be like a booksafe, that had cut outs of the pages sized to fit an absinthe glass, a spoon, and a tasting flask. :pirate: