Sign in to follow this  
Retrogarde

Time to Kill in Paris (air terminal)

Next month I'll be enjoying a two hour layover in Charles de Gaulle airport. Not enough time to leave the terminal, so I'm just curious if there is *anything* worthwhile (and absinthe related) to check out while I'm there.

I'll be in Berlin for a week and will no doubt stop in at the Absinth Depot, but I'm a hell of a lot more savvy than the last time I was there back in '04. I'm curious to see what they are carrying these days.

Oh, I misread the thread title, I thought it said A Time to Kill in Paris :laugh: Having never been there I am not sure about what there is to do. There must be something, whether it's worthwhile, I do not know. I'm still suprised that they sell liquor in airports outside the extremely high-priced two drink minimum bars. What part of the airports are these liquorstores in?

I haven't been to Charles de Gaulle Airport for a couple of years. However if it's like it was then or if it's like any other airport in Europe, the Duty Free shops won't have any absinthe to interest you. They might have Absente. Some other Duty Free shops in Europe have La Fée or Tabu. One or two in Switzerland do have Kübler.

Given that Duty Free shops around the world work on very high profit margins (typically 70%), it is clear that they want to buy low cost absinthe.

Thanks guys. That's what I figured. In my dreams there's a doorway into the Moulin Rouge just past the McDonald's kiosk where I can go dance with a midget artist and drink Pernod Fils until my flight is called. Too bad. :devil:

Bobt: you have a long memory sir! Fear not, I will report on my Laibach adventure as soon as I return!

I'll be enjoying a two hour layover in Charles de Gaulle airport.

I’m sorry for your misfortune. There is a reason this is the worst airport in the world; As Alan stated, I don’t think you’ll find anything particularly interesting in the duty free shops either. And as a fellow traveler who has spent layovers at CDG – mine were mostly occupied going through a multitude of different security checkpoints. Including a third one right as we were boarding the plane.

:cheers: to you Retro!

Oh, I misread the thread title, I thought it said A Time to Kill in Paris :laugh:

You're not the only demented one. The only thing that came through my head when I first read the title was a sinister voice saying, "Yessss, yesss, it is that time." :devil:

CDG is a crappy airport? Well damn, that's bad news as FIRST I have a five hour layover in Newark (which I've been led to believe is pretty crappy too). My flight is being paid for by Laibach so I can't really complain though.

As for security I'm used to it. For some reason I get pulled for searches every time I fly. Ever since 9/11 I've been picked out of the lineup, sometimes multiple times in the same terminal. But I've got nothing to hide and I'm a friendly guy, so I'll take it in stride if it happens in France. I wish I spoke French even a little though...

Wish me luck!

My flight is being paid for by Laibach so I can't really complain though.

Well, aren’t we well connected? ;)

I wish I spoke French even a little though...

Airport folk didn’t much care for my English, and my German even less.

I'd second TechDiver's opinion. I hate that airport with a passion.

Agreed, Frankfurt isn’t a peach either; I tried out Nürnberg, Frankfurt and Munich before finally deciding all my other flights would be out of Munich. But compared to CDG, I dunno. There was A LOT of construction, a lot of delays and aside from the fact the terminals are tiny, there was a lot of general confusion.

I’d opt for Frankfurt, but chances are it’d just end up dumping you off in CDG to connect anyways.

Edited to remove redundant word

Edited by Mat Bocian

Perhaps you shouldn't go thru customs with that steampunk arm?

Ha! Now that would be fun to explain...

My flight is being paid for by Laibach so I can't really complain though.

Well, aren’t we well connected? ;)

I doubt anyone famous (marginally or otherwise) will ever foot the bill for an international trip for me again, so I've got to enjoy it while I can, right? Now if I can just teach them to drink absinthe properly...