Sign in to follow this  
sgwilson

ok, here it is ...

So, here's my introduction. I'll try to keep it short.

I'm totally new to absinthe. Meaning, I have never had it. Since I joined WS last week I've been trying to think about when I first learned about absinthe and why I was intrigued by it. I can't remember exactly. It was probably in high school (I graduated in 1992). But it seems like I've known about absinthe for as long as I can remember. Well, not since I was a kid, but definitely as long as I've been "drinking" alcohol, which was age 16. :cheers: Not that I'm proud of that, it just is what it is.

For the longest time, I figured it was hopeless and absinthe was something long gone. Outlawed, banned and forgotten to years past. And only recently, I must admit - through the "Wired article" - did my interest become totally piqued again. Immediately after reading the article, the thought entered my mind that there has GOT to be absinthe culture in Seattle. It just seemed to fit. I googled "absinthe seattle" (without quotes) and the Seattle Weekly article with Hiram and the craigslist posting about the Wormwood Society being open to the public were some of the first results. I read the SW article, clicked into the Wormwood Society web site, and read the FAQ (yes, actually) along with a few other articles. I saw that absinthe is alive and well in Seattle and signed up.

So anyway, back to how I became intersted in absinthe ... I probably learned more about absinthe in college. Where, in my spare time, I did way to much reading in the library about drug counter-culture (mainly Abby Hoffman, Timothy Leary and Jim Morrison). Which is totally not fitting to me, really, but I've always been fascinated by psychedelic drugs for some reason (I've never tried any). Being that absinthe is "counter-culture" since it isn't legal, I undoubtedly did some reading on it. And, being that I've been into "art" for as long as I can remember as well, I probably have been attracted to absinthe for many of the same reasons other artist-type people are - that many well known artists enjoyed imbibing absinthe. Though, it is very interesting to learn how common it was before some wacko decided it was toxic and it was banned.

I'm not a big drinker, but I do enjoy fine liquors, beer and wine. I absolutely love a well made vodka or gin martini. My favorite drink in recent times is Zig Zag cafe's Derby, which is a combination of bourbon and Benedictine. I think they make it with Makers Mark there, I can't remember ... oh, and I was surprised for some reason to see that DrinkBoy is a member of WS, as his site is the way I found out about both Zig Zag and the Derby.

I live in Seattle, for those who aren't familiar with Zig Zag. I'm sure most people in Seattle and on this forum know about the place. I've been in Seattle for about 3 1/2 years. I grew up in Central Florida, moved to Phoenix in late 1999 and moved to Seattle with a job relocation in 2002. I've loved it here ever since. This is a great place to live (however, it is hard for me to say that now with the shortening of days and the blessed rain).

I am happy to say I placed an order with Absinthe-Distribution.com this evening and just can not wait until my first tastes get here. I did some research here, and ended up ordering based on the review page and my wallet:

Un Emile 45 (0.03l)

Kübler 53 (0.5l)

François Guy (0.5l)

Absinthelspoon Ouvrages #2

Sort of a small order since the shipping cost is so high! But it is a start. I really want to try Ted Breaux's Jade Liqueurs absinthe versions, if only because it is highly acclaimed. But they are $$$. Maybe I'll have the opportunity at an upcoming WS event?

Ok, maybe that was a little long. Regardless, it is good to be here.

Steve

Thanks Slackjaw & G&C.

Sorry about the eyes G&C. I should have known when I started out saying I'll keep it short that it would get a little long ... or is it because of my wacko avatar?

So, here's my introduction. I'll try to keep it short.

Call me Ishmael...

Just teasin.' Welcome Steve! :cheers:

Our next event will be New Years Eve, and we'll at least have some Jade Edouard there. If we get enough registrations, the other two Jades will be there as well.

Sort of a small order since the shipping cost is so high! But it is a start.

:laf: You don't know how true that is!!!

Welcome, you bought some decent choices and it shows you did some homework on this.

This place seems much more hospitable to noobs than FeeVerte was a couple of months ago; must have been that Wired article which attracted the wrong crowd.

thanks for the avatar comments, by the way. I made it from a pic of me in my halloween zombie makeup ...

thanks for the ribbing on the length too, I deserve it. the whole "counter-culture ... Jim Morrison" thing was totally unnecessary. I think I was doing that drunk posting thing. ;)