Sign in to follow this  
Jack Griffin

Edouard Pernod c. 1895

Thanks to the kindness of a friend, I was able to sample several small glasses of this at various dilutions over the course of an evening. A truly delicious and wonderful absinthe. Has anyone else here had it? I'd love to see what you thought. I also reviewed it in the pre-ban section. :worshippy:

The vintage I enjoyed was closer to 1905, but my appraisal of it is very similar to yours. The only difference was the louche which I found to be just a wee bit bit more delicate than ideal.

The aroma was incredibly perfumy and room-filling, and yet it was also delicate. The same could be said for the flavor had enough floral, and spicy assertiveness to be a cigar absinthe while also having the sprightliness, and refreshing delicacy of a beautifully made la bleue.

It was more than a little bit of a paradoxical enigma in its ability to somehow cover all the bases, and most certainly a masterpiece of an absinthe.

please allow me to continue the thread derailing...

Well, the quintessential pre-ban cigar absinthe is Berger, but the Edouard will do in a pinch. ;)

And the "Berger" style, if I remember correctly, is a bolder, spicier-flavored absinthe, correct? Sounds pretty happening. Can Kübler be at least loosely considered "Berger-style", or am I way off in making that connection? I think the pepperiness of the up-front fennel character makes me think of it as spicy.

As the noob that I am in all this, I hadn't even considered how absinthe might pair with a good cigar.

However, as an "insufferable beer snob" (like yourself), I've done my due diligence with beers and cigars and found that to my palate, any beer with a even a slightly aggressive hop character DOES NOT pair well with a cigar. Belgians and the "stout styles" are what I prefer with a good puro.

Indeed.

Ivan the Terrible, with it's chocolate/nutty/bourbon profile, is an excellent example of a cigar beer, as is The Abyss.

As to Kübler, it's far too subdued an absinthe to stand up to a good cigar.

In fact, the only la bleues I've ever enjoyed that could were a couple of incredibly wormwoody and fruity HGs.

You're correct about the Berger being a very spicy absinthe, and it was quite rich in general, thus making it such a great cigar accompaniment.

I've never really cared for cigars with absinthe. They tend to overpower the delicate flavors and nuances, so I like to drink my absinthe, then sip on some whisky with the cigar.

But if pressed, I'd say:

Berthe

La Coquette

Roquette

Maison Fontaine

Les Parisiennes would probably all work pretty well.

Actually, the one absinthe I've had that would go nice with a cigar in my world is Sorciere verte. It has a very powerful cognac-style brandy base that is in front of much of trad absinthe's flavors,

giving only hints of them here and there, particularly in the finish. It's like mixing absinthe and brandy, so I bet a cigar would do well with it.

Actually, the one absinthe I've had that would go nice with a cigar in my world is Sorciere verte. It has a very powerful cognac-style brandy base that is in front of much of trad absinthe's flavors,

giving only hints of them here and there, particularly in the finish. It's like mixing absinthe and brandy, so I bet a cigar would do well with it.

Interesting

Along the same line, I think Leopold's, with it's very distinctly flavored, (almost rummyish) Pisco base would make an excellent pairing with a fine cigar.

I might have to try that, because in my mind, Leopold is a very delicate, flowery absinthe, which I think would be totally overwhelmed. But I'm always open to experimentation! :cheers: Now, Leopold's American Whiskey and Rum, THOSE certainly go well!

I gotta say, Absomphe, I would never have thought cigars with my absinthe. But I don't smoke...sadly. I absolutely love the aroma of a nice cigar. Love it. Both my grandfather smoked, and took great pains to find good tobacco. Sadly, I can't work out the mechanics....I cough no matter what I try, making the whole experience utterly lame. But I can sit in a cigar bar, and be completely happy.

I don't smoke either, Todd.

With the exception of the extremely occasional fine cigar, paired with an equally fine absinthe. :)

I'd credit Absomphe with this derailment. :devil:

It went from 1895 to what pre-ban goes well with a cigar and then.......well.......the bottom sort of fell out. :)

I've shared some c. 1895 a time or two and found it a delightful drink. Ahhh, back on track. :laugh: