Sign in to follow this  
cjs2020

Pernod is Licorice?

Therefore, it was basically the "Synchronicity" (events that are apparently causally unrelated occurring together in a meaningful manner) proposed by Carl Jung
people mistankely believe that synchronicity is when things happen at the "same time".... and it is not....but this word "synchronicity" is still misunderstood until today

:g: Seems contradictory. Are you sure you know what you mean?

You can talk with knowledge about absinthe, but not about Modern Physics or Psychotherapy of Jung

I'm sorry, did I stumble into the Modern Physics (not your standard garden type variety of old physics) and Jungian Psychotherapy forum? My mistake. I was looking for the absinthe forum, and things anywhere near relevant to that.

"10 years" is nothing, there is no "time"... Time is a variable that exists only in our own perception ... The concept of "time" is valuable for your daily calendar, but not to explain the universe based on modern physics.

Groovy.

Jung happens to be a Swiss psychiatrist, I thought that was a very interesting connection with absinthe, just because of being in the same country.

Anecdotal connection, sure.

you mentioned that absinthe was "legal" in USA..... that might be an interesting story if you elaborate further.

Without attempting to sound like an ass, I'd be remiss if I didn't ask if you are serious?

Time is a variable that exists only in our own perception when trying to understand the casualty of events.......
Try telling that to a bottle of absinthe. :laugh:

Therefore, it was basically the "Synchronicity" (events that are apparently causally unrelated occurring together in a meaningful manner) proposed by Carl Jung
people mistankely believe that synchronicity is when things happen at the "same time".... and it is not....but this word "synchronicity" is still misunderstood until today

You can talk with knowledge about absinthe, but not about Modern Physics or Psychotherapy of Jung

I'm sorry, did I stumble into the Modern Physics (not your standard garden type variety of old physics) and Jungian Psychotherapy forum? My mistake. I was looking for the absinthe forum, and things anywhere near relevant to that.

"10 years" is nothing, there is no "time"... Time is a variable that exists only in our own perception ... The concept of "time" is valuable for your daily calendar, but not to explain the universe based on modern physics.

Groovy.

Jung happens to be a Swiss psychiatrist, I thought that was a very interesting connection with absinthe, just because of being in the same country.

Anecdotal connection, sure.

you mentioned that absinthe was "legal" in USA..... that might be an interesting story if you elaborate further.

Without attempting to sound like an ass, I'd be remiss if I didn't ask if you are serious?

Ron, it is not worth arguing with you... you like to have the last word.

How about we just discuss the absinthe issues and forget what I wrote, ok ?

Maybe if I meet you in a party, we can entertain other conversations besides absinthe.

- Marcelo

Edited by mgs

Groovy.

:laf: :laf: :laf:

:laf: :laf: :laf:

when you have time, read this book by Princeton University Press, just to start understanding before laughing :

The Pauli/Jung Letters

...In 1905,Albert Einstein's annus mirabilis, "while also working out the quantum theory of light and a theory of the motion of small particles in fluid, Einstein developed a new theory of space and time, now called the special theory of relativity." Jung recalled that he had met Einstein in the "very early days when [he] was developing his first theory of relativity His genius as a thinker . . . exerted a lasting influence on my own intellectual work." In the Tavistock lectures, Jung remembered, "I pumped him about his relativity theory....

:punk: :punk: :punk:

- mgs

Edited by mgs

Oh no.... Jung was Swiss? Crap, those French are at it again...improving on something exclusively Swiss

and making it their own!

Berthe_de_jung.jpg

There, fixed. :cheers:

Ron, it is not worth arguing with you... you like to have the last word.

Typical cop-out. You get caught in a contradiction of your own making, then instead of explaining yourself, you say it's not worth arguing and you accuse other people of 'not letting it go' when all they are trying to do is carry on a debate.

No sir, it's not Ron who is difficult to argue with...

You can talk with knowledge about absinthe, but not about Modern Physics or Psychotherapy of Jung.....

And who the hell are you to tell me what I can and cannot talk about? You'd be surprised how much Modern Physics and Psychology I've studied. People on these forums aren't just one trick ponies, my friend. You'd be wise to figure that out.

Hello All. I don't mean to waste anyones time(though I guess thats not possible since it doesn't exist) ;) but I have a(stupid?) question.

Wouldn't it be in Pernods best interest to release absinthe made from an original recipe instead of the present offering which has been met with less then a stellar critical response?

You folks know more about the day to day intrigue concerning all things absinthe.

Why do you think Pernod hasn't done this?

we need an emoticon for banging our heads against the wall.

Fee Verte has one of those, (called Fusty) and he's certainly come in handy over the years.

And who the hell are you to tell me what I can and cannot talk about? You'd be surprised how much Modern Physics and Psychology I've studied. People on these forums aren't just one trick ponies, my friend. You'd be wise to figure that out.

Brian, it is also not worth to argue with you. You and Ron, always have to have the last word. It is a self-confidence that you need.... So the last word is yours !

I just made some light comments about why I think absinthe was legal again in Europe, based on talks that I had with more experienced people than me. Then, I made a comment about Jung, because I like him, have been studying him for more than a decade, and then I remembered that he is Swiss as well.

As it happened in the past, I am done with you on this current subject.

- Marcelo

Oh, and technically, absinthe has been 'legal' in the US for decades. People just didn't realize it until the lawyers for Kübler and Lucid began asking for clarification.

and.... I prefer that you write here the history of "why" absinthe has been "legal" in the US for decades until lawyers from Kübler and Lucid realized that and started to ask for clarifications. If you write this information here I, and many others, can learn something really interesting.

Thanks a lot.

- Marcelo

The curious thing is, I rarely talk to you, and that's mostly intentional. I think the last time was a couple months ago, and it was maybe a sentence. Possibly two. Actually I don't even think I mentioned you directly, I think I may have just mentioned "some people" or something like that, in reference to your silly WS Police comment. But I don't do it very often, because very often you feign injury. I know at least one occasion where you felt your creativity was stifled and your feelings hurt.

I know you think I have it out against you, but I assure you that's not the case. I challenge you to go back and find all the people, including yourself, that I have savagely attacked or got the last word on. I'm betting you can count them on less than three fingers. And generally for good reason. Or for a more fun challenge, go back and find all the times I've been nice to you, and compare how many times you think I've ravaged you. I think you'll be surprised.

I just call it like I see it, Marcelo. Many people see it, by the way. They just may not call it.

We should most certainly have a drink, though. I think you'll be surprised at how mellow I actually am. Perhaps next time I'm in the States, or perhaps next time we're both in Europe at the same time. Either way, I don't hold any grudges, and I'm always looking for an excuse to drink.

As regards to the post of yours that I quoted, I was generally confused with your contradiction. It could have been a language thing, or perhaps you didn't convey what you actually meant. I don't know. All I know is that it was a glaring contradiction. Either way, if you have decided it's not worth clearing up, for everyone's sake, then that's fine. It's quite possible many people reading will just skip to the next thread, because contrary to your belief, none of us come here for drama. Quite a lot of us deal with drama in our own lives, and have no need for it here. This is an escape from the bullshit.

So using that perspective, try to understand where I'm coming from.

Cheers.

Entered as the Understatement of the Day:

I think you'll be surprised at how mellow I actually am.

In most dictionaries, you will find Ron's picture serving as the definition of Gentleman.

I calls 'em as I sees 'em, too. :cheers:

Hello All. I don't mean to waste anyones time(though I guess thats not possible since it doesn't exist) ;) but I have a(stupid?) question.

Wouldn't it be in Pernods best interest to release absinthe made from an original recipe instead of the present offering which has been met with less then a stellar critical response?

You folks know more about the day to day intrigue concerning all things absinthe.

Why do you think Pernod hasn't done this?

Definitely not a stupid question. My guess, and I may have mentioned this before, is that Pernod-Ricard is so far removed from the old Maison Pernod Fils, that they don't even have the original recipe, let alone the know-how or desire. Absinthe also occupies a very small portion of their business, so it's not a do or die thing to them. As long as people are buying it, why would they change it? It's a shame, really.

Pernod isn't interested in producing a high quality brand. They make a ton of money selling a low quality product, so there's no need to spend significantly more money to start from scratch on good stuff in a niche market that's already oversold. It would cut deeply into their profit margin.

If they do anything, they'll buy out another distiller.

You and Ron, always have to have the last word. It is a self-confidence that you need.... So the last word is yours !

Bullshit. You constantly make that argument, yet it's always you who makes the last statement. Remember our last PM debate? I literally had to tell you several times that I was done and didn't want to talk anymore about it. Even then, I received more than a handful of additional PMs from you, following up on topics from the debate. I have copies of them if you'd like me to remind you. I have no need to have my confidence 'fluffed' by debating with someone who can't stick to the topic and who's main tactic is to make personal accusations to avoid having to back up their point of view.

It's not that we're tough to argue with. It's that your arguments don't hold water and you don't want to admit it, so you make an ad-hominem attack and then declare you're done. Real argumentation doesn't work that way. And if you were a student of it, like you say you are, you'd know that.

I prefer that you write here the history of "why" absinthe has been "legal" in the US for decades until lawyers from Kübler and Lucid realized that and started to ask for clarifications. If you write this information here I, and many others, can learn something really interesting.

And why should I? The information is already on the main site. If you had a different attitude, then maybe I'd link you to it. But as it stands now, do your own damned homework.

Then, I made a comment about Jung, because I like him, have been studying him for more than a decade, and then I remembered that he is Swiss as well.

If you've been studying him for over a decade, then can you please describe for us his explanation of synchronicity that he used in his book of the same name, regarding a certain scarab?

The thread here is "is Pernod a Licorice" ? Where the initial debate was about the in(famous) levels of thujone.... I added that I "think" that in European Union it was accidental the legalization of absinthe, it was not on purpose...

then, there was a comment by Brian that absinthe has been "legal" in the US for decades until lawyers from Kübler and Lucid realized that and started to ask for clarifications. I am interested to learn about this.... seriously... (and that would be helpful for newcomers as well). I think it is a great topic to know and tell other people about the truth of drinking absinthe...... Can you please write about this ? (or if it's not related to this thread we can start a new one).

As regarding synchronicity, modern physics, and so on..... let's leave for a (possible) face to face party.....

cheers,

- Marcelo

PS: I read Is Absinthe Legal in US ? --- from WS FAQ, but it does not say explicitly "why" it was legal, and "" how" Kübler and Lucid "opened" the market here....

Edited by mgs

The thread here is "is Pernod a Licorice" ? Where the initial debate was about the in(famous) levels of thujone.... I added that I "think" that in European Union it was accidental the legalization of absinthe, it was not on purpose...

I don't disagree at all with the fact that it was accidental. My point was that it wasn't synchronous.

I'll see if I can go back and find the information regarding absinthe's legality prior to 2007. There is evidence (which was even argued to the TTB by Jared Gurfein of Viridian Spirits) that the prohibition of absinthe ended in 1938, and was unenforceable even prior to that. See Jared's interview here.

From the page you linked:

Absinthe was specifically banned for commercial production and sale in the US in 1912 by the US Department of Agriculture in Food Inspection Decision 147 (FID 147) under the Pure Food and Drug Act of 1906. This act eventually opened the way to establishing the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA). The FDA at some point re-codified FID 147 in the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act, which prohibits thujone in finished foods, but does not specify absinthe by name. This effectively legalized absinthe, although at the time it was conventional wisdom that absinthe contained far too much thujone to ever consider bringing it back to the market.

Kübler and Lucid opened the door by getting the TTB to finally admit/clarify that absinthe wasn't in fact illegal, and to allow people to start using the term absinthe on labels. The TTB clarified that, since there is no class of spirit in the US named 'Absinthe', that is must be accompanied by other verbiage so as to not make absinthe the inferred class, and to make sure no references or inferences to drugs or a nefarious nature were made.