Sign in to follow this  
cjs2020

Pernod is Licorice?

Someone tell me that Pernod is not fake absinthe. The stuff tastes like licorice. Is this absinthe made the proper way with wormwood? Should there be a lot of thujone(s) in it?

Here we go.....

Hi, and welcome, but please read through the FAQ here and info on what absinthe is and is not before asking questions like this. The thujone discussion is one nobody here is excited to have. There is a great deal of info here that will answer your questions.

Also, introduce yourself in the newcomer section so we can know you better.

I just wanted to see if Pernod was a viable absinthe. I know absinthe is not licorice. I also know that thujone is only in high concentrations in poorly made absinthe. I am curious to know if Pernod is considered authentic or not.

No but... the have been slapped when they got april's fool joke that pernod was back to the original recipe ... I hope that we could get an Pernod aux extrait d'absinthe original formula in a near future

I also know that thujone is only in high concentrations in poorly made absinthe.
Actually, that's not quite accurate, either. High concentrations of thujone are usually found in products that claim to be absinthe but indeed are not. The high thujone content is achieved by adding evil concentrations of various extracts to cheap flavored vodka and even then, you won't trip ballz.

The current version of Pernod absinthe is arguably real absinthe but whether or not it is viable depends on which definition you choose. Ultimately, it really isn't very good.

it's just like saying that hamburger helper is a fine gourmet meal

No, it's not just like saying that at all. That presumes that all real absinthe is fine and gourmet.

It's possible, even common, for absinthe to be both real and crap, just like any other drink. I've tasted traditional, real absinthes—commercial and non-commercial—that were worlds worse than Pernod.

That said, Pernod is real absinthe, and IMHO a lower mid-shelf brand.

I know absinthe is not licorice.

Not licorice, but it is supposed to taste predominantly of aniseed, the principle flavor of most licorice candies.

Sadly, I think he read somewhere that Pernod had a high content and was lookin for a cheap trip.

I ran into a guy at my work who said he only drank absithne from outside the US because it has a higher thujone content. /sigh

No, I was looking for absinthe with wormwood in it. Does pernod have wormwood in it, or are all the distilled "herbs" like wormwood in it just chemical flavor substitutes? So what is a better absinthe for a reasonable price? I paid like 70$ for this one, though I saw Lucid for 45$. I don't know if Lucid is any better, though supposedly it does have wormwood according to their site. Sahiri - if I wanted to rot my brain I could think of much cheaper ways to do it.

Edited by cjs2020

I think Lucid and Kübler are fine choices for someone just starting this adventure. I went to drinkupny.com and saw half dozen good absinthes under $70. All distilled and all pretty tasty.

They are the genuine article. Distilled with wormwood and everything. Ta-Daaa!

Pacifique, Vieux Carre and Obsello are fine absinthes that are available now in the USA and there are more but those are all on the DUNY site.

Thar be good booze at fair prices. Just look around. :arrr:

Lucid is not bad, despite the fact that is easily available in liquor stores in US..... it was my first absinthe, and sometimes I serve it for people who wants to try absinthe for the first time, and usually those people are amazed to learn that they can walk in a regular liquor store and buy this booze. Many people in US still believe that absinthe is prohibited.

As regarding thujone and all this crap-talk about it, there is a lot of info in the Internet, just need to be careful to read. You should read what is here at WS and also in other absinthe forums (there is a French absinthe forum that is very good).

I learned something interesting, "why" absinthe was made legal again, it makes sense for me. There are many alcoholic beverages with thujone : vermouth, purl, bitters (maybe a few others).... When the European Union decided to regulate the level of thujone for a common and unified market, that made eventually people realize "Uh, so if thujone is regulated, absinthe is legal now"..... Therefore, it was basically the "Synchronicity" (events that are apparently causally unrelated occurring together in a meaningful manner) proposed by Carl Jung (who happens to also be Swiss...) that made the revival of legal absinthe happens...

- Marcelo

Seeing as how LTV is just as scarce around here as Duplais, and every liquor store here has both Crown Royal and Lagavulin, I'd say availability is a poor way to determine quality.

"Uh, so if thujone is regulated, absinthe is legal now"..... Therefore, it was basically the "Synchronicity" (events that are apparently causally unrelated occurring together in a meaningful manner) proposed by Carl Jung (who happens to also be Swiss...) that made the revival of legal absinthe happens...

- Marcelo

If you think those two events were 'coincidental', I've got a bridge to sell you.

Oh, and technically, absinthe has been 'legal' in the US for decades. People just didn't realize it until the lawyers for Kübler and Lucid began asking for clarification.

Seeing as how LTV is just as scarce around here as Duplais, and every liquor store here has both Crown Royal and Lagavulin, I'd say availability is a poor way to determine quality.

of course..... and I agree with you.......

If you think those two events were 'coincidental', I've got a bridge to sell you.

Oh, and technically, absinthe has been 'legal' in the US for decades. People just didn't realize it until the lawyers for Kübler and Lucid began asking for clarification.

so.... write what you know........... I know what I read, and I cannot know what is inside your mind.

- Marcelo

No, I was looking for absinthe with wormwood in it.
It must contain wormwood if it is absinthe. If it does not use Artemisia absinthium, it is not absinthe. Thujone has nothing to do with absinthe. So little transfers through the distillation process, it is (as the TTB says) Thujone free...just like it was a hundred years ago.

"Uh, so if thujone is regulated, absinthe is legal now"..... Therefore, it was basically the "Synchronicity" (events that are apparently causally unrelated occurring together in a meaningful manner) proposed by Carl Jung (who happens to also be Swiss...) that made the revival of legal absinthe happens...

- Marcelo

I'm inclined to think that Marcelo is right. See how Heure Verte relates it.

"La ré-autorisation de l'absinthe sans le vouloir

En 1981, le Conseil de l'Europe légifère sur les matières aromatisantes destinées à l'alimentation et les passe en revue, en fixant des taux maximum.

C'est ainsi qu'elle en vient naturellement à la thuyone dont le taux maximum est fixé à 10 mg/l pour les boissons titrant 25% d'alcool et plus, et à 35 mg/l pour la catégorie des "amers".

Pourquoi 35 et pas 45 ou 65 ? Mystère.

Mais en choisissant ce taux maximum, le Conseil de l'Europe ne se doutait certainement pas qu'il venait de permettre la production d'absinthes identiques aux anciennes.

Ces décrets furent ensuite aménagés pour la France en 1988."

This essentially states the laws concerning food additives which came into force in 1988 effectively re-legalised absinthe throughout the EU without this actually being an intention of the law. Back in 1988 I doubt that many of those involved in absinthe today were pushing for this law (possible exceptions being Guy and Kübler). In any case, it seems significant that no-one in France did anything to start making absinthe again until at least 10 years later which seems to add weight to what Marcelo states.

Of course those pushing for the re-introduction of absinthe in the US pre-2007 were well aware of what they were asking for. It is doubtful whether that would have happened without EU/Swiss re-legalisation previously.

seems to add weight to what Marcelo states.

If the events happened 10 years apart from each other, I view that as not being 'coincidental', and therefore unable to be, synchronistic events.

It would have been coindicental and/or synchronistic if people started talking about, and making, absinthe again in 1988 with the intent of getting it re-legalized, then finding out that the EU already did the leg work for them.

If the events happened 10 years apart from each other, I view that as not being 'coincidental', and therefore unable to be, synchronistic events..

You can talk with knowledge about absinthe, but not about Modern Physics or Psychotherapy of Jung.....

"10 years" is nothing, there is no "time" when talking about synchronicity. Time is a variable that exists only in our own perception when trying to understand the casualty of events....... people mistankely believe that synchronicity is when things happen at the "same time".... and it is not.... it is "an acausal connection of two or more psycho-physic phenomena." This was proposed by Wolfgang Pauli and Carl Jung during 1920's, but this word "synchronicity" is still misunderstood until today... The concept of "time" is valuable for your daily calendar, but not to explain the universe based on modern physics.

=> Since Jung happens to be a Swiss psychiatrist, I thought that was a very interesting connection with absinthe, just because of being in the same country.....

now back to the "absinthe issues":

(1) Now, in accordance to what Alan wrote, I believe the general idea of "thujone level standardization" for the European Union is correct....

(2) in your previous post you mentioned that absinthe was "legal" in USA..... that might be an interesting story if you elaborate further.

- Marcelo

Time is a unique experience to each unique individual, on levels he/she may not even comprehend.

Animals perceive time through an entirely different filter than humans. Don't even get me started on how trees feel about it.

It is more importantly (than crazy psycho-babble from us wannabe elegant monkeys), a great song by Pink Floyd