Sign in to follow this  
Joe Legate

Do Not Buy!

Your remarks on the scoring for blanche color are not true. There are some blanches that are not clear and there are reviewers who will not give a perfect score to a blanche for color.

I did say "almost always" but you are right to emphasize this, yes.

Besides, if it's not made in Switzerland it's not real absinthe anyways. :wacko:

Seriously ? :laf: .... that's like saying "because of Ford, if the car is not made in the US, it's not a real car "...

Perhaps you meant it tongue in cheek - I sure hope so...

I would think the googly crazy eyes after the sentence would imply that, yes. ;)

Since it involves you as well Davorin, you might want to take a look at the Swiss IGP thread. Interesting reading, to say the least.

do not buy Absinto Camargo. They claim to be the first absinthe produced in Brazil and the strongest (54% alcohol by volume) allowable there..... do not waste your money.

- Marcelo

If I can be so bold, I would also suggest as brands to avoid, in addition to those heretofore mentioned, any and all absinthes produced by the gangsters in the Val de Travers (who are certainly not a friend to consumers). That is all.

...all absinthes produced by the gangsters in the Val de Travers (who are certainly not a friend to consumers). That is all.

but your recommendation is not because those are not good absinthe.... just make it clear that you are against the IGP. So, we have to be careful in this thread to give exactly the reasons to not buy, and I hope that this thread does not converge again on IGP issues, since we have other threads for this discussion.

- Marcelo

PS: when I hear the word "gangsters" it reminds me of far west cowboys movies... is there a parallel ?

Far west cowboy movies? Like Chicago? ;)

I don't want to rehash the IGP issues here either but there are some people that choose to buy or not buy a product based on a number of different reasons. For example, I prefer to buy "Fair Trade" coffee and I stop buying a particular sneaker some years ago when they started being produced in sweatshops. If a particular absinthe has an inherent flaw from either the production method or the politics of the company, a potential buyer might want to know the reason so they can decide for themselves. Hash out the the politics in another thread but list the reason you prefer not to buy an absinthe here.

If I can be so bold, I would also suggest as brands to avoid, in addition to those heretofore mentioned, any and all absinthes produced by the gangsters in the Val de Travers (who are certainly not a friend to consumers). That is all.

I have to admit, (despite my extreme distaste for the posturing of said gangsters) I was very close to ordering a bottle of Butterfly because it sounded reasonably intriguing and tasty, and also because I've always been quite curious about what a U.S. pre-ban absinthe would have tasted like.

Fortunately, a certain superlative absinthe coming out of France, has managed to derail the need to satisfy that curiosity, at least for the foreseeable future.

Is Kübler more of a marginal absinthe brand? I was the idiot that bought the bottle of Green Fairy absinthe, and sort of thought I'd redeemed myself when I found and got the Kübler. Which btw, I happen to like.

Kübler is a very good beginners absinthe. I like it myself and it's in most liquor stores as well as Lucid which I think is a good beginners absinthe.

I like them both and I don't intend for people to think that "beginner" means it has training wheels.

You can do much better but you do very much worse than those two. I keep them on hand always.

JMHO

I happen to like it on occasion, too. It is infinitely better than Green Angel. I wouldn't describe it as complex but probably in the same category as Lucid.

Don't feel the need to redeem yourself. We have all made bad mistakes. This thread and indeed this organization is trying to make the disappointment many of us have experienced happen with less frequency.

:cheerz:

...all absinthes produced by the gangsters in the Val de Travers (who are certainly not a friend to consumers). That is all.

but your recommendation is not because those are not good absinthe.... just make it clear that you are against the IGP. So, we have to be careful in this thread to give exactly the reasons to not buy, and I hope that this thread does not converge again on IGP issues, since we have other threads for this discussion.

- Marcelo

PS: when I hear the word "gangsters" it reminds me of far west cowboys movies... is there a parallel ?

To quote from my man, Samuel L., "Hey, sewer rat may taste like pumpkin pie, but I'd never know 'cause I wouldn't eat the filthy motherfucker."

I won't buy, and I advise others not to buy, absinthes from a group of greedy producers who are trying to unfairly eliminate competition (like gangsters) through the use of an IGP rather than succeed on the merit of their product. That's my reason. I think it's a pretty valid one. But you're welcome to support whatever producer you want.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Save for a few brands from one or two producers in the VdT, they're all overrated and pretty mediocre absinthes. Lazy even. How's that for a little more reason not to buy?

Don't buy mediocre absinthes from the VdT.

Waste no money on Trul 1792, Tabu, King of Spirits, King of spirits gold (just more added crap than the regular) and please use the review section. I've bought these before.......they suck mightily!

There are other sites that have nice review sections but I haven't looked at them in quite a spell. One that I used before I joined here was absinthe.se I believe. I think Hartsmar does that site and it lists distilled on one page and some produced by other methods on the next page. They were rated by stars in decending order. It's simple, very simple to go down the list and see what's what.

Above all else, read reviews.

I don't drink much but when I do, I drink good absinthe.

:cheers:

I personally don't recommend Lucid as a beginner absinthe; it was my first and -- if it weren't for this a'here forum -- would've turned me off the green stuff for good. Lucid remains the worst I've tasted (again, thanks to all of you people). :biggrin:

Lucid remains the worst I've tasted (again, thanks to all of you people). :biggrin:

You danged spoiled youngin's. :wheelchair:

What do you mean spoiled youngin's?* :wheelchair: :wheelchair:

* Damn, I knew I never should've watched Tropic Thunder!