153 replies to this topic

#61 fingerpickinblue

fingerpickinblue

Hallucinations Sold Separately

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,693 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 08:43 AM

Taking Marc's advice, tonight I had a glass of this at a lower dilution. It was even better than before.
2.5:1 with 1 sugar. Amazing.

I'd been louching in those proportions from the get-go.

I tried it at 3:1 once, and while it was absolutely superlative, it was almost a tad on the soft side when compared to the even more vibrant "popped" (and still totally opened up) flavors of the 2.5:1 ratio.

And 2.5:1 is ideal.

It's always interesting to see the variety of approaches to any subject, and what "coats the throat" of the individuals involved. When I first started drinking absinthe, I was one of those guys that just arbitrarily picked 3:1 as the preferred ratio and ran with it (I even posted my first few reviews using that ratio). The longer I have drunk this beverage, the more I have gravitated to higher levels of dilution. And, I now find it to be almost universally consistent that the high quality offerings really come into their own at a final abv of somewhere between 11% and 12.5%. Lesser dilutions (higher abv), with a high quality product, just don't seem to afford the more subtle, detailed, and delicate herbal and floral elements the chance to reveal themselves (no alpine meadow). LBDJ is no exception, in my opinion.

I'm tasting a glass of LBDJ, at 2.5:1, with and without 1 tsp simple syrup as I post this. My personal opinion is that while interesting in a way (it almost approaches what I would call a Wormwood Liqueur, especially with the sugar), I don't find any of the very beautiful and expressive details I have noted in two evaluations I have done on this label. It is certainly not off-putting (it is very high quality, after all), but I do find it to be overly dense, weighty on the palate (it is 16% abv at this ratio), and while not monochromatic, just not as complex as when all those great ingredients have the breathing space they need.

My personal favorite ratio is just about 4:1 (it is 11.2% abv at this ratio), and I would encourage anyone to try other ratios north of 2.5:1. Of course we will all have our preferences. I just felt compelled to write this post because I think this is seriously good absinthe, I don't find it to be fragile at all, and I think it can be enjoyed as the gentlemen quoted do, and also in a more conventional ratio.

One final point, mainly for those who write reviews; This post is certainly worth reading. I read this about a year after I began posting reviews, and it informed me on some of the fine points where I was making errant assumptions about this beverage we all love.
blind man see her, dumb man call her name - Ed Bell

#62 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 20,273 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 09:45 AM

I certainly don't consider the Berthe de Joux to be a fragile absinthe, unlike Belle Ami, for example, which really falls apart at higher dilutions.

I simply find that that I can pick up all the nuances that I do at a higher level of dilution, and that the flavors "pop" more crisply at the 2.5:1 ratio. Admittedly, there is a softer flavor profile at 3:1 and higher which is perhaps more soothing, but the mouthfeel is not quite as rich, and it just lacks a certain optimal level of brightness, in my opinion.

Anyway, as you so rightly pointed out, to each his or her own, and any way you louche her (or perhaps him, since BDJ's been described as a masculine absinthe), Berthe de Joux's a beauty. :cheers:

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#63 fingerpickinblue

fingerpickinblue

• Content Team
  • 3,693 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 10:06 AM

I think I was responding to some comments in the thread cautioning against over-watering (which, to me, implied said fragility). It should be obvious by my comments that it's my opinion that one is plenty safe up to a ratio of 4:1. LBDJ has plenty of stuffing!

Anyway, everyone's buds behave differently. The one thing that all seem to agree on so far (and you're right), Berthe De Joux's a beauty. :thumbup:

#64 EdouardPerneau

EdouardPerneau

• PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 10:07 AM

Anyway, as you so rightly pointed out, to each his or her own, and any way you louche her (or perhaps him, since BDJ's been described as a masculine absinthe), Berthe de Joux's a beauty

perhaps a guy with a dress or a girl with an mustache

Edited by EdouardPerneau, 24 September 2010 - 10:15 AM.

Si tu veux t’aventurer dans la recherche sur l’absinthe c’est triste mais c’est en français que ça se passe .

#65 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,309 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 11:49 AM

I too typically dilute anywhere from 3:1 tp 5:1 depending on the absinthe. It was on the suggestion of someone from Pernot that I went lower. I love this at 3:1 as well, but for some reason at 2.5 with only a kiss of sugar (certainly not a whole cube!) the flavors and aroma are wonderful. I stand by the comment be careful of overwatering...I think it's good advice in general. And Fingerpickinblue, thanks so much for the link to Gwydion's old post. I learned a lot from reading it. It's funny how by reading other people's reviews, one can be steered into similar perceptions about how things are supposed to be. My future reviews will take some of these points into mind.

I will revisit LBDJ tonight at 3:1 and 4:1 with an open mind to see what I notice.

#66 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 20,273 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 12:53 PM

perhaps a guy with a dress or a girl with an mustache

The shim in your avatar? :harhar: ;)

#67 kibbles

kibbles

• Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 06:17 PM

Man, looks like I need to get a bottle of this Berthe de Joux. Very very curious to try it.

#68 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 20,273 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 06:25 PM

Best make haste before it runs out.

#69 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,826 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 11:05 PM

If only some of you WS guys liked it....

A little technological fix to a spiritual problem.

#70 fingerpickinblue

fingerpickinblue

• Content Team
  • 3,693 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 11:33 PM

I stand by the comment be careful of overwatering...I think it's good advice in general.

In theory, I agree. I, personally, just would not want to lead the inexperienced, or uninformed to think that "overwatering" occurs beyond some specific mix, especially one that is pretty stiff in comparison with conventional ratios. I want them to feel free to experiment, and make them aware of the total reasonable range of possible dilutions, as well as the historic "sweet spots", as referenced in the linked post. Whenever I state a "favorite" or "preferred" ratio, I try to be clear that that is my preference or opinion, not an absolute. And, of course, "overwatering" is individual and always occurs at the point that the particular drinker ceases to enjoy the mix of their absinthe.

It's funny how by reading other people's reviews, one can be steered into similar perceptions about how things are supposed to be.

No shit. I'm sure I've done it myself. I poured a wine tasting this evening, and every time I walk away from one of those things, I'm convinced that if I said, earnestly enough about a particular wine, "I detect a slight hint of taco in this" I could get an agreement from somebody! It's hard, of course, with reviews, since I can say that I personally have tried many of the absinthes that I have due to reviews or other chat on this site. These days, I stay away from the reviews and threads while finalizing any review, to make it as independent as possible.

Man, looks like I need to get a bottle of this Berthe de Joux.

Yes you do!

#71 anonymous green peony

anonymous green peony

• Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 06:07 AM

BdF will definitely be my next new try!! I hope I can get some before it runs out!! :dribble: drool!

#72 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 20,273 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 06:23 AM

If only some of you WS guys liked it....

:laf:

Damn, I'm so sick of you cynical, skeptical FV guys! ;)

#73 precenphix

precenphix

Dreamer / Noise-maker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 05:43 AM

Does one need to request a tracking number? I'm not finding anything useful in my invoice...
Those with knowledge easily sense the truth of things. Those with egos built up on rumor and fancy, tend to maintain a hard line. - Tatan (Evan Camomile)

#74 techdiver

techdiver

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 06:32 AM

I replied to order e-mail and Marc was able to tell me it was in customs. Since we're in the same state I assume you will be getting a postal delivery. It arrived a few days later.

Edited by techdiver, 01 October 2010 - 06:34 AM.

#75 fingerpickinblue

fingerpickinblue

• Content Team
  • 3,693 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 06:38 AM

I've ordered twice from them, and both took about 10 days to get to Connecticut. They didn't provide a tracking number either time. Patience...

#76 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 20,273 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 02:31 PM

"Haven’t had the other of the newer European offerings, but I am still sure they won’t dethronize Butterfly."

Guess who? :laf:

That's like me saying the same thing about Berthe de Joux (as I sip my umpteenth glass (no, not today, I swear) without having tasted Butterfly.

I'm tempted to, but I'll leave such blind arrogance to one better qualified to offer it. :harhar:

#77 techdiver

techdiver

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 03:03 PM

"Haven’t had the other of the newer European offerings, but I am still sure they won’t dethronize Butterfly."

Guess who? :laf:

Who dat?

#78 fingerpickinblue

fingerpickinblue

• Content Team
  • 3,693 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 06:51 PM

I'm looking for the "Thronize" and "Dethronize" buttons on my social networking site. :unsure:

#79 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 20,273 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 07:01 PM

Who dat?

I'd answer your inquiry, but I'm currently busy Polishing a few antique absinthe glasses. :rolleyes:

#80 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,309 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 07:26 PM

Cryptic clown....The world needs cryptic clowns. Especially ones who sell antiques and who's avatars scare children and excite their mommies.

#81 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 20,273 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 07:32 AM

Thanks, Scott, we scary clowns live to sever serve! :cheers:

But it's Boggy who's the really unintelligible cryptic one much of the time, so I thought it was appropriate here to dish out a smidgen in return.

#82 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,826 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 08:56 AM

There are some other vague-o's around here...

A little technological fix to a spiritual problem.

#83 techdiver

techdiver

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 10:54 AM

But it's boggy who's the really unintelligible cryptic one much of the time, so I thought it was appropriate here to dish out a smidgen in return.

Yes, those that know know; or something to that effect was cryptic alright. Spent too much time trying to decipher French after that one.

#84 Boggy

Boggy

Delusions of Competence

• Canned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 09:49 AM

You should taste both: Berthe and Butterfly and see how much they are unlike. No idea about being cryptic. There are much, much, better to the core clowns than me-I do protest.

The review has been added.
Surviving the attacks of mentally-deficient creatures of the dark and carrying on (since 1999).

[Ironically, 1999 is the year the Dunning-Kruger effect was first advanced. - Admin]=

#85 Butch Onufrak

Butch Onufrak

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 06:06 PM

So I decided to revisit and open bottle of BDJ tonight to close the weekend.
It was opened mid October at the NY event.
Color was good, but flavor was all over the place. Completely different and not
nearly as balanced as it was. To check my self I went to some Ridge Verte and
yummers it was.. I'm try it again tomorrow but wow it really changed..
Anyone else find this?

#86 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 20,273 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 07:16 PM

I just had a couple of glasses quite recently (it was over two months old), and I didn't notice any flavor variance at all.

#87 techdiver

techdiver

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 09:32 PM

No idea about being cryptic.

That remark was made about one thing you had on facebook a while back, which I assume pertained to something you were working on at that time.

#88 Big Mike

Big Mike

• Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 09:36 PM

I must have a bad bottle. Tastes like grass to me.

Tonight I had to Walten Waters before I tried another Berthe De Jeux using Ginger ale. Still tastes like grass.

Maybe I ought to buy another bottle

maybe I whould post after having three absinthes.
"So let them distill, so let them drink." Ben Jonson(modified)

#89 m.a.mccullough

m.a.mccullough

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 09:43 PM

The "grass" you are tasting must be the "licorice" I taste. Not candied licorice, but pure licorice. I very much like that flavor. To each his own. :cheers:
Absinthe Veritas, Distiller Probitas. These are the things we fight for.

#90 Phoenix

Phoenix

Advansed Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 01:46 AM

I've had a few absinthes that tasted grassy. La Coquette was especially grassy to me.

Edited by Phoenix, 24 November 2010 - 01:47 AM.

"He's a politician. It's like being a hooker. You can't be one unless you can pretend to like people while you're f***ing them."

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2017 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association