Saxon

Greetings From Boston

The details of my life are quite inconsequential.... very well, where do i begin? My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with a low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds- pretty standard really.

All right. That's a joke. I'm not Dr. Evil.

My name is Brian and I'm from Boston, MA. I was referred to this site by one of my customers. I sell absinthe glasses, spoons, etc on one of my companies’ websites. I’m not here to promote anything but just to talk absinthe.

I’m typing this drinking a glass of François Guy. I agree with Hiram that it’s a damn fine absinthe. I’ll also be partaking in a glass or two of La Bleue and FrancoSuisse from Val de Travers this weekend. I’m currently on a Swiss absinthe kick.

I also enjoy craft beer and my tastes currently run toward Czech pilsners and Belgian Saison Ales (Fantome in particular).

I was introduced to absinthe in the early 90’s. My interest grew after reading an article on Absinthe by Michael Moynihan in Seconds. Part of my business is importing from Europe so I often take a bottle or two back home with me.

I’m 32 and married. My wife is German. I have a young son – 5 months.

Outside of absinthe, my interests include SEO (search engine optimization), web development, German neo-mittelalter musik (esp. Tanzwut), history and beer.

My avatar is the late great H.L. Mencken.

Thank you for having me and I’m looking forward to chat w/ you all.

My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium ... He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark.

Sound like a true belgian. As some here will know, they are also worldwide apostrophe enforcers.

Welcome!

VERY good taste in music if I may say so!I take it Faun is welcomed as well? Faun is brilliant in my eyes.. very nice!

Nice meeting you, and welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Faun is great.

Have you checked out Tanzwut's side project- Corvus Corax? Their CD Seikilos has been in my player since it was released. They also did a live rendition of Carmina Burana in Berlin earlier this year and still I'm kicking myself for not flying over.

I will be seeing them at the Dark Wave fest in Leipzig in 2006 though.

Have you checked out Tanzwut's side project- Corvus Corax?  Their CD Seikilos has been in my player since it was released. 

Funny. I've never heard about Tanzwut before, but I do know Corvus Corax. I don't have any of their CDs, though, but I'm quite familiar with the Seikilos tune itself as it is carved into a stone which is in the National Museum here in town.

Do you know, say, Hedningarna, Garmarna or Gåte? If not, they are worth seeking out.

There have been too many new members around here for me to welcome them all. I can't keep up.

Your intro post, however, has inspired me so...

welcome

Again, thanks for the welcome everybody.

Thanks for the tips on new bands to check out. Great stuff.

Derrick - I have those on order. There's no telling when they'll arrive from Europe though. I'll keep you advised for sure.

I must say, this is one of best skinned forums I've ever seen. Who did it?

I must say, this is one of best skinned forums I've ever seen.  Who did it?

Why, thank you. There are still a few odds and ends that need tending to, but I'm going to wait until after the next upgrade.

Welcome! I was curious about 'neo-mittelalter'...could you translate(new something)? I looked around the web and everything was in German. I checked out tanzwut on a radio blog. Pretty cool. They seem to be infuenced by one of my old favorite German bands, Kraftwerk.

I’m typing this drinking a glass of François Guy. I agree with Hiram that it’s a damn fine absinthe.

Hiram's full of feces on that score. It's not even mediocre absinthe.

My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark.

I like you already.

I should have known better than to credit second hand testimony. He was probably lying about the meat helmets as well.

Hiram - Do you like things that aren't good? I know I don't. Come on man, where is your fighting sprirt?

Try drinking it from bonque (just like they did 100 years ago in France) and you'll swear FG tastes better. <joke>

I like the way FG tastes. I don't know where the whole gym sock taste thing is all about. It didn't get that at all. While it's not my favorite but the gag reflex isn't nearly as strong as some of the Ulex brands I've tried. Not an apt comparison I know but it might put things in perspective. After all, there is no accounting for taste and arguing taste is like arguing over favorite colors. Purple is clearly the best!

This weekend I tried FG, Libertine and La Blue. I found the taste complexity of La Blue to be the best. I have a hard time not selecting it when it’s time to pour a glass.

Geez, I take the weekend off and another Bostonian finally shows up,

it's about time!

Welcome!

I'm in Somerville so not far from you,

I like the good beer too, I have a some homebrewed Saison

that's been sitting about 9 months and is quite tasty now.