Sign in to follow this  
Jack Griffin

The Bloch Brouille

Someone who makes jewelry could do this. It would be fairly easy to do in brass, then perhaps our pal Rob could do the nickel plating.... ;) Brian, I'd be happy to take a copy of those drawings and try to find someone to make a few samples. Hmm we could have a marketable item here.

I saw this video on the Perroquet thread. Damn. Has anyone thought of making repros of these?

Well, as far as I know there is a serious discussion about a repro, the current status is :

- maker found

- owner (one of the 4/5) willing to help found, but has not yet provided enough information

- broker found

I have detailed photos and close-ups of this brouille. I am meeting with a designer today to see if a modern version inspired by this (but not an exact copy) can be affordably made out of nickel-plated brass. If this person can help me, I'd consider making 6 or so for people who want a completely handmade funtional art piece.

I'll keep you posted.

EDIT: I had a meeting a friend who is a brilliant metalworker and jewelry designer. He can wax sculpt and make this in solid silver. He is going to work up a price after he thinks about this a bit more. I would modify it so there are no legs, and go a bit wider on the base so it could be used with a wider variety of glasses, by resting on top of the rim rather than inside it. This is similar to the glass brouille that is currently being marketed. The rest could be done in an almost exact match. Any thoughts, ideas, or interest? It sure won't be cheap, but we're talking a handmade piece of art.

It seems an esteemed friend an member here is involved in just such a project, so I am stepping back for now until I know more about it. I may still produce a modern version based on this in solid silver or stainless, so as not to step on this gentleman's toes.

Nope...I simply fell so in love with the antiques, that I decided not to pursue this. Too many guitars to make anyway! Hopefully at some point the project i heard about will come to pass, and repros will be be available.

Clément, It's a lovely homage to the original extremely rare Bloch, which thanks to you, I was privileged to enjoy in July. I believe there are only 3 or 4 examples in the world? Luc, if you see this, nice job; rather than copy it, you honored it!

Clément, It's a lovely homage to the original extremely rare Bloch, which thanks to you, I was privileged to enjoy in July. I believe there are only 3 or 4 examples in the world? Luc, if you see this, nice job; rather than copy it, you honored it!

Correct. 4 or 5 known and owned actually. There may be more out there, who knows, but its "prototype" status is quite clear, so they must be scarce.

I agree with you Scott -- I appreciate the fact that it's an homage rather than a replica. It's beautifully rendered. I expect these will sell like hotcakes. I know I'll be first in line.

Nope you'll have to wait I call dibbs :p

Actually they've been erring for a while. They tried to reproduce something close initially, but it proved hard, expensive, and yes, "too close". I have seen several prototypes (even one with a see saw), hand made by Sebastien from Vert d'Absinthe, and you could even see one of them in their shop at a time.

They told me about this version, but I discovered it quite at the same time as you all :)

Very nice work indeed, I need to have one to sit next to its elder