Sign in to follow this  
Jack Griffin

Tasting Glasses

I found these nice little flared 2.5 oz glasses made by Libby. A case of 24 for about $22.

I used a fine diamond file to lightly score a 1/4 oz dose, then a 3:1 line above for a perfect 1 oz. tasting.

I did a whole case in about 15 minutes. It is easier to louche up a full glass and pour prepped absinthe into these at a blind tasting when many people are involved, but for sampling alone or with friends, this is a nice way to go if a fountain is desired! Just thought I'd share. I'll be using these for the blind tasting at the WS East Catskills event in October.

TastingGlass.jpg

There is plenty of room for 5:1, That's why I got 2.5 oz. glasses! 3/8" above the 3:1 line is 5:1, and there is still over 1/4" to the rim. (The flare on the glass buys a lot of room toward the top.) Perhaps you're right. We'll just bring out the glasses with the absinthe in and let everyone prep it themselves. We will have 3 fountains, so it should work smoothly. Thanks!

EDIT: Ok Gwydion, you did it. A bug in my ear. The glasses now all have lines at 3:1 and 5:1

(just in case some nasty strong distiller's proof is there. ;) ) 4:1 is right between the two lines, easy as pie.

I've often experienced a different louche if I use 1/2 oz. of absinthe vs. a full oz. The half ounce rarely louches as well as the full ounce will. Wouldn't using a 1/4 oz. dose make the louche effect even worse?

Edited by Phoenix

That's a damned good point Phoenix, thanks. Some slower louches will not develop in a 1/4 dose, and the experience would suffer greatly. I can't even imagine for example, what a 1/4 dose of Roquette would do under a fountain. A full glass is needed for some absinthes to develop correctly.

Perhaps it's best to prep up larger amounts for the blind tasting so that we have a better and more fair control. Folks can take it up to 4:1 or higher at the table, and each will have their own 2 oz. simple syrup bottle if they need it.

The half ounce rarely louches as well as the full ounce will.

I've never experienced this problem. I almost always louche up my review samples in cordial glasses, meaning I rarely use more than 1/2 ounce, many times less. If I'm using my fountain, they still louche up just as good as a full glass.

Remember, concentrations of anethole and fenchone won't change whether they are in a 1/4 oz sample or a 2 oz sample. You just need to make sure you're adding the water properly, i.e. not powerlouching.

Never? You're such a noob. :laugh:

As far as concentrations of anethole and fenchone, I don't think anyone is saying the concentrations would be different when using various dose sizes.

Edited by Phoenix

The only other things I can add is I've had it happen with multiple brands from multiple producers, and I almost always use a see saw brouillier. (I hope to get a small fountain someday).

I'd also imagine that there are brands out there that wouldn't share this quality. The best example in my mind would be pre-ban absinthe. That stuff louches quicker than just about any modern absinthe I've seen.

The green fairy sure is a mysterious (and sometimes finicky) lady. :cheers:

Err...wait, since this is the internet, am I required to tell you that you're wrong and there's no possible way your experience could be the way you describe because it doesn't match what I've experienced? :g:

EDIT: Just so there's no confusion, I honestly don't mean to discredit what other folks have experienced. I'm just trying to be funny (emphasis on the word trying). I have no doubt that Brian, Bill, and Gwydion have infinitely more experience louching half and quarter sized glasses then myself. I don't even remember the last time I did it due to the bad results I've had when I have tried it.

Edited by Phoenix

In conclusion, I'd like to put out an invitation to anyone on the boards to come over to my place so we can get to the bottom of this issue and report back with our findings. :drunk:

P.S. Nice tasting glasses!

Edited by Phoenix

1/2 ounce = a dash. :laugh:

To see such a smalll amount louche.......you have to watch it close and quick. *smileywinkforkintheeyeemoticon*

As long as the drink is enjoyed........it's all good. Cheers!

I wouldn't know if a 1/2oz of absinthe louches or not because I've never served such a small amount. ;)

Ask the Ocean City tasting crew if we should have used larger doses. :devil:

By the way, on a whim, I louched up the Roquette in both a full dose and 1/2 oz dose just to see if there would be a difference. Each were louched by the fountain with the same drip rate.

IMG00035_20100823_1530.jpg

I like the one on the right. I like the way the glass gets smaller and the absinthe louche seems thinner. It's just something that amuses me to watch and enjoy. That is very similar to the glass I sip from at home.

*smile*

The glass on the left offers a wider mouth for better nosing of the absinthe, so that would be my pick.

Um, that sounded a lot snottier (literally) than I intended it to. :paperbag3:

The one on the left is my 'go to' absinthe glass when I want a full drink. It weighs a ton, but as Abs mentioned, it's great for nosing too. The thickness of the glass keeps in cool longer as well. I've etched dose lines onto it as well for both normal 1 oz servings, as well as 2 oz ones. I love it, as you might notice from my avatar. :pirate:

Ask the Ocean City tasting crew if we should have used larger doses. :devil:

Thank Zeus I was helping in prep for this one… that event brought new meaning to death in the afternoon for those tasters. I was a good way to being lit just at the WS tasting event at the ’09 TOTC (and those were tiny shot glasses even).