32 replies to this topic

#1 Alan Moss

Alan Moss

absinthe-suisse.com

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:03 PM

Boulder Absinthe House is now open.

From the same team that set up The Green Fairy Bar at Copper Mountain, Colorado.

Stocking La Clandestine, Kübler, Leopold, St. George, Lucid, Libertine, NO now. And a few others. And more to come.
www.laclandestine.com: Hand-crafted in the birthplace of absinthe.

#2 Overland

Overland

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 11:23 AM

Boulder Absinthe House is now open.

From the same team that set up The Green Fairy Bar at Copper Mountain, Colorado.

Stocking La Clandestine, Kübler, Leopold, St. George, Lucid, Libertine, NO now. And a few others. And more to come.

A very good reason to go visit Boulder!

#3 Ian McCarthy

Ian McCarthy

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 09:31 PM

And look! They even have LTV!

#4 mgs

mgs

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 07:45 AM

Thanks Alan for posting this information. I just arrived to Denver after 3 months working in France and 10 days of vacation in Brazil. I will surelly visit this place (just need to get a designated driver with me ..... :cheers: )

- Marcelo

#5 mgs

mgs

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 03:55 PM

I was at the Absinthe House today in the afternoon. It is a very good place, good food, a nice selection of absinthes (from very bad ones to excellent). They also serve good beer, including "Trappist beers". I tried for the first time a Jade absinthe, very expensive (I paid 25 dollars) but very well worth....

In addition, in the same street (Walnut St) there is another bar, called Bitter Bar, where they also have some absinthes (also from the very bad ones to good ones). The barman knows a lot about absinthe and absinthe cocktails.

I highly recommend both places, they are only 3 blocks apart on the same street.

cheers,

- Marcelo

#6 Ron

Ron

Blind Eye McGee

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,130 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 02:11 AM

Wow! At $25 per glass, that's the most expensive I've seen on a menu. I think the most I've paid was $18 (if I remember correctly) for a glass of Kübler at the Purple Cafe in Seattle. It might have been $11. I don't remember now. But yeah, that's pricey for any absinthe, including the Jades!

Which one was it, Marcelo?
Every hour is green hour. -Hedonmonkey

Sometimes bad just gets so bad that it breaks thru to the other side and becomes good. - Phoenix

#7 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,720 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 07:50 AM

Four glasses of absinthe in a public setting with a bunch of strangers...or a whole bottle in the comfort of my own home with better company and tunes...hmm. That's a tough one. :pirate:

A little technological fix to a spiritual problem.

#8 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,636 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 11:22 AM

Yeah, I'll be pondering that all day. :rolleyes:

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#9 mgs

mgs

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 12:58 AM

Ron, I had Jade- Nouvelle Orleans..... I don't know the difference in all the Jades. If there is one specific that you recommend (and I can possibly buy in the future), please let me know.

The absinthe menu for this "Boulder Absinthe House" is here menu.

Unfortunately they also serve some bad ones.....

I did not buy, but I sipped LTV from a colleague who ordered that..... that shit is terrible, I just had one little sip and did not want to tell the guy too much bad about his drink, but certainly I never want to drink that anymore....

- Marcelo

PS: just for your comparison, Kübler was sold there at 11 dollars, I don't remember the price of the others, but Jade was the most expensive from the menu.

#10 Ron

Ron

Blind Eye McGee

• Content Team
  • 4,130 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 04:09 AM

Marcelo, if I were home and had access to my booze, I'd send you a sample of all four of the Jades for comparison. Three of them are clones of preban marques (Pernod Fils, Edouard, and CF Berger), and one - the Nouvelle Orleans - is a modern creation. As far as recommendations go, my only recommendation is that you eventually try them all. Each is distinctly different. My favorite of them is the Edouard.

As far as LTV being on the menu, it's sad, but at least they describe it pretty accurately. There are a bunch of others on the menu which could easily be subtracted or replaced with far better options, but for it's purposes (an around-the-world approach) it seems to do it's job. I'd like to see more options from Switzerland, and the French options make me cry. There are far better authentic distilled absinthes available out of France. Not sure why they opted for a lot of terrible absinthe-alikes instead.
Every hour is green hour. -Hedonmonkey

Sometimes bad just gets so bad that it breaks thru to the other side and becomes good. - Phoenix

#11 Larspeart

Larspeart

Advanced 'member'...

• Silver Member
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 09:46 PM

I get to boulder about once a month. I shall keep this place in mind next time I am out that was. Learning the local bar scene for Denver and boulder pretty quick.

I've seen worse absinthe sell for more than that, much to my dismay. So sad. Then, after a person has sunk their 30 bones (plus tip, mind you), they kindly offer to light it a-blaze. Bastards. This was not, mind you, me this happened to. But it WAS directly overheard, by these ears of mine.

"Here's to the corkscrew - a useful key to unlock the storehouse of wit, the treasury of laughter, the front door of fellowship, and the gate of pleasant folly." - W.E.P. French

We're only immortal
For a limited time.

#12 Ambear

Ambear

Ermahgerd, Erbsernthe

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 12:37 PM

I've been a little worried about the atmosphere (probably having something to do with their "bikini contest" night that they have posted on the site...hmmm) but I'm hoping to try them out during the afternoon/early evening, either this week or next. I'll keep everyone posted. :clap:

Edited for bad use of quotation marks.

Edited by Ambear, 22 March 2011 - 12:46 PM.

Visita Interiora Terrae Rectificando Invenies Occultum Lapidem

Website | Blog | Twitter

#13 Ryan Nikkel

Ryan Nikkel

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 05:06 AM

I've had the same thoughts Ambear, it's just not my scene. I hope you do post what you think on this one. :cheers:
"The thought manifests as the word; the word manifests as the deed; the deed develops into habit; and habit hardens into character. So watch the thought and its ways with care, and let it spring from love born out of concern for all beings." Buddha

#14 mgs

mgs

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 10:10 AM

I have been there in the afternoon for eating something and having an absinthe.... it is a great place to go during the day..... I also read about the many "rooftop parties", "salsa contest" and other crazy activities..... which do not really attract me there at night... I have better options to go out in Denver, for sure....

- Marcelo

#15 Ambear

Ambear

Ermahgerd, Erbsernthe

• Content Team
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 07:58 PM

Today I made a trip over to Oskar Blues Home Made Liquids and Solids (about 10 minutes out of Boulder) and where they don't let you specifically order absinthe, they do have a really nice Sazerac. At least I'm assuming it was a nice Sazerac, because I've never had one before...but they used Leopold Brothers absinthe as well as Hirsch Rye and cost me about $12 and I was pretty drunk for a long while after. :3872-DrunkBanana:

Edited by Ambear, 24 March 2011 - 07:59 PM.

Website | Blog | Twitter

#16 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,806 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 08:28 PM

That is indeed a good Sazerac! :thumbup:
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#17 bksmithey

bksmithey

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 08:48 PM

Thanks for the link Ambear, I hadn't heard about HML&S. Looks like a "must visit" next time I'm in the Boulder area!

#18 Ryan Nikkel

Ryan Nikkel

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 05:17 AM

Me too Brian, on both counts.
"The thought manifests as the word; the word manifests as the deed; the deed develops into habit; and habit hardens into character. So watch the thought and its ways with care, and let it spring from love born out of concern for all beings." Buddha

#19 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,720 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 06:30 AM

I've been a little worried about the atmosphere (probably having something to do with their "bikini contest" night that they have posted on the site...hmmm)

Yeah, bikinis...who needs 'em?

#20 seeker of truth

seeker of truth

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 11:08 AM

:thumbup: I agree.

I love Oskar Blues!
I talk like a drunk man walks, in every which way but where he is headed.

#21 Harry

Harry

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 11:23 AM

i guess i am too much of a hermit or perhaps it has been awhile since i've been back in the States.......but $25 for a drink is scandalous....and even $12 is high.............

#22 Larspeart

Larspeart

Advanced 'member'...

• Silver Member
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 12:23 PM

Guess I know where I shall be going the next time I am in Boulder. See ya'll (and the bikini-absinthe-night bar) in a month!

"Here's to the corkscrew - a useful key to unlock the storehouse of wit, the treasury of laughter, the front door of fellowship, and the gate of pleasant folly." - W.E.P. French

We're only immortal
For a limited time.

#23 seeker of truth

seeker of truth

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 02:18 PM

They do a lot of live music. I have to be honest I go there for their beer, but it's good to know they offer decent cocktails. Next time you get the chance go on a night when Something Underground is playing. They're a great local band. Though they might be at the Lyons location but that's closer to you than Longmont is to me.
I talk like a drunk man walks, in every which way but where he is headed.

#24 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,636 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 04:23 PM

I love Oskar Blues!

Ten Fidy (Smoked Hamsteak in a Can™) and Old Chub are two of the best canned brews I've tasted.

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#25 Bluewolf Pete

Bluewolf Pete

Multifunctional items are definitely favored

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 09:09 PM

G'Knight Imperial Red!
If you want thujone, fuck off and go eat sage ~ Ron

"Let's louche these bitches up and party!" ~ Fingerpickinblue

Beware La Machine à décerveler! Oops, too late ...

#26 Ambear

Ambear

Ermahgerd, Erbsernthe

• Content Team
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 08:11 AM

Tatan and I finally got around to checking Absinthe House out. We got there around 8 and the two downstairs bars were essentially empty, and the upstairs bar was packed with bros in blue striped polo shirts...lots of beer to be seen. We snuck back downstairs and decided to sit at the bar located near the entrance instead. The service was pretty good and the staff was friendly enough and knowledgeable-ish...I wasn't too horribly offended by anything they did or said about the absinthe. :laugh: Although they did mix the drinks in martini glasses, and performed the entire sugar/spoon/fountain ritual for each glass...I don't mind sugar but it wasn't really necessary.

Originally, based off of their online menu (which still seems to be accurate), the only absinthes they offered that we were particularly interested in was the Jade NO, St. George, and La Clandestine. They ended up also having Vieux Carré (the only one I noticed that they did not have on the menu), which means we were each able to get two glasses without having any duplicates. The Jade was $25 (WAY too much, but neither of us have tried it before, very glad that we did), La Clandestine was $15, and the St. George and VC were $13. I felt a little sad...Kübler was in the same price bracket as LTV and La Fee, but I suppose someone might accidentally end up with a halfway decent absinthe that way. :thumbdown:

The bottle of St. George was almost empty and had turned to a iced-tea brown color, which was a bit of a shame, and because of the low lighting we weren't able to fully appreciate La Clandestine, although we're starting to wonder if we're just not a big fan of blanches...have yet to be blown away by one. I really loved the VC.

Sadly, the bartenders seem to be under the impression that the Czechs were the "real" absinthes, partially because they see how much more they cost, or how bad they taste, similar to the way bad tasting medicine must be more effective and better for you than good. Our first bartender said he had only tried a few of the brands, including the Jade, which he admitted he liked but didn't really know why. The other bartender we talked to said she liked the American absinthes better than the "European" (although I know she was referring to the Czechs) "because they're sweeter" but definitely felt this was a mark against herself in the sense that she didn't like the "real" absinthes. I suppose that on second thought though, the French absinthe menu was pretty awful as well...so between the French and Czech offerings, the likelihood of choosing a terrible absinthe was fairly high for the people working there.

The food was good too...although they were out of both bread pudding AND creme brulee (early on a Friday night...really?) so that was a bit of a shame.

It was a decent experience, but based off of the price and the fact that we've tasted all of the absinthes that we haven't tasted before that we were interested in, I doubt we'll go back a second time. :secret2:

Edited by Ambear, 07 May 2011 - 08:12 AM.

Website | Blog | Twitter

#27 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 08:22 AM

Ok. From now on we need to bring flyers to these bars. These folks are not going to educate themselves.

#28 Ambear

Ambear

Ermahgerd, Erbsernthe

• Content Team
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 08:25 AM

Sadly in this case, I'm under the impression that the owner is fairly educated, but haven't made it a priority to educate the staff. Although I could be mistaken.

Website | Blog | Twitter

#29 Evan Camomile

Evan Camomile

Junkyard Dog

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 08:39 AM

When my friend Mike showed up we got him a glass of Leopold's as well. The bartender filled that martini glass halfway before louching it up and we had a constant battle to drink it down and add more water until it was at the sweet spot.

I loved the Jade NO and the VC. I think I'm one of the few who actually like how different St. George is, and La Clandestine was really pretty when louching up. I could only see the famous La Bleue hue around the edges of the glass in the lighting though.

It seemed to be the most pricey "bro bar" I've seen but it was graduation night in Boulder so maybe this is an exception to the usual crowd.

For a place whose website brags about the "largest selection of genuine Absinthes in North America" I was a bit perplexed at the high amount of inauthentic offerings that they had. Especially regarding the czechsinthes as they are smart enough to educate against the burning ritual on the website.

American Absintheur
Blog | FB | Twitter

#30 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,720 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 08:54 AM

The last time I ordered absinthe at a bar, I ordered a glass of ice water with it. They were putting about a 1:1 or 1:2 ratio with water and ice into a cocktail shaker and then dumping it into a small glass. I had a third one and just dumped it into about a 2/3 full glass of ice water and it worked out all right. Far from kosher, but if I'm ever in a bar again that serves absinthe I'm getting the glass of ice water on the side just in case. My $.02 ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association