Sign in to follow this  
Alan Moss

Make distilled absinthe ..

Phoenix New Times.

Part one tells readers how to make (bad) absinthe.

Part two will tell readers how to make it from a kit if they can't be bothered to try distilling.

Part three will tell readers where to buy the best absinthe. Presumably with contact details of Phoenix's underground distillers.

The wonders of a free press!

I didn't get past part one. That is a recipe for disaster from what I've read.

Star anise is one of my favorite ingredients but there was no cat's paw or pussifer in the recipe and they are in all the old texts from back in the 1990's. ;)

Sorry about the sarcasm. I couldn't stop.

Thankfully, absinthe is now back on the market in the US, and several different brands are available for sale at high-end liquor stores. But if you subscribe to the adage "If you want something done right, do it yourself," we'll show you how to make your own.

Give me a break…

Edit: I needed to add two :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Edited by Mat Bocian

Golly gee whiz oh wow.

I wish said article had been written back in 1976 when I steeped my first (and thankfully last) absinthe.

It might have turned ever so much better exactly the vile, stinking same. :puke: :rolleyes:

At a recent tasting I asked someone if they wanted to taste some absinthe.

"No thanks, I have friends that make it".

I didn't have a chance to ask, but I suspect the steep method was used. Of course, no reason for someone to buy it from a store when you can make it at home for near free. Whether you'll get a similar result is another matter.

The series has a happy ending.

"Then we took a big drink of the kit-made absinthe. We knew it wasn't the real deal, and figured it would just taste like absinthe-flavored vodka.

It didn't even come that close. It tasted like vaguely spicy vodka, inferior to even cheap Mexican or Czech absinthe. So it turns out, our readers were right. Absinthe from kits is not real absinthe, and tastes like flaming crap."

You have to give them credit for clearly demonstrating what we've been saying all along. Like many of us on many different occasions, they "took one for the team." Ick.