Sign in to follow this  
Mat B.

Asti Spumante circa 1927

So we were shopping at a local antique / unique / second hand store and I was immediately drawn to this bottle. I thought for sure I was seeing things and upon further examination I recognized it as an indeed vintage bottle of Asti Spumante by G. &L. Fratelli Cora, apparently labeled with a manufacture date of 1927. I have no idea how to re-size these further so any Mod help is greatly appreciated ;)

img1704q.jpg

As you can see from the photos below, the levels are great, foil is nearly perfect and the cork and wire are intact; the labels are good and overall it looks like a great find! For the hefty price of just $10 I couldn’t resist.

img1701nr.th.jpg

img1712.th.jpg

img1709u.th.jpg

img1715uy.th.jpg

img1708k.th.jpg

My question is what else? What does anyone know? Who's got more info? I poked around the internet for a bit but didn’t see much on vintage Asti’s. I got some limited info on Cora and its history. I searched Finest and Rarest, and I am thinking about emailing Oxy to see if he has any additional insight on something like this.

Unknown where it came from, how it has been stored all these years or if the contents are well preserved.. Even if its worthless I still think it was a neat find worth hanging onto.

If anyone can offer any insight, I’m all ears. Thanks ahead of time!

Mat, I need to do some thrift-store shopping wherever YOU go!

Congratulations on the find. If nothing else, it's a wonderful antique bottle with a lot of character. But I've a feeling you'll find out it's more than that...

although the sugar content maybe degraded, for lack of a better term, do nothing until you hear back from Oxy, better to hear from a professional than someone who is not in the business. Good find no matter what though. :cheers:

Nice find, Matt. :cheers:

Usually, I see full champagne bottles from 1928, so it's nice to view one that's a year older.

I'm not sure why so many of the bottles I've encountered are of that particular vintage. Perhaps vintners had a feeling about the incipient Great Depression, and figured folks would enjoy some latter day celebrating before they jumped out of their windows. :twitchsmile:

Thanks gang. Absomphe you may be up to something.

Jay, you’re welcome to tag along; apparently also the $3 Rudyard Kipling book I bought is an original first edition first print and in what I consider mint condition. Im’a go back again tomorrow and just have a once ‘round again.

Good idea Baub! Vintage DITA, perhaps someday…

1928 is considered by many Champagne experts to be the "vintage of the century", although a bottle would have to be of very high original quality, and have been perfectly stored, to still be drinkable. Asti Spumante, however, is not Champagne. I am doubtful that any Asti Spumante of similar age would still be viable as a beverage, but great find! :cheers:

Asti Spumante, however, is not Champagne.

Very true, it is a sparkling white wine.

…although a bottle would have to be of very high original quality, and have been perfectly stored, to still be drinkable.

And also very true. Oxy did give me some input, and although apparently genuine and somewhat rare and unusual to find, the contents would be undrinkable today. But all in all, still a darn neat find and for ten bucks, I had to add it to the collection.

Nah. Decided to forgo the taste bud torture and just keep it as a neat mantle piece; something to chat about. Maybe I’ll make up a cool story about how I got it or where it came from. I'm open to sugguestions.

But for all interested (or bored) you can read a brief history about the producer that I found.