150 replies to this topic

#91 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,997 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 05:18 PM

I'll still bet it's a dead rat. ;) Nope, no topette hiding under that plain ol' brown paper. Just another Maltese Falcon.

#92 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,187 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 07:06 PM

Even if it isn't a dead rat.......I can appreciate not opening the thing. It may be the one, you know, the perfect one. Unique. It's good to keep it wrapped up to preserve the thing. I'd put it in the bank with the balance of my coin collection. I don't look at them much either. Cheers!
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#93 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,309 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 09:11 PM

I appreciate you guys getting my perspective... for some reason beyond my understanding, this stuff matters a lot to me.

BTW, Joe, you were right...there was a dead rat in there, but it was INSIDE the topette...this makes it even MORE rare!

#94 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 03:13 AM

Nah, common competitive practice in some places.

#95 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,187 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 04:34 AM

Like a worm in a Mezcal bottle I'd think. *smiley wink*
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#96 thegreenimp

thegreenimp

Obsessed Herbsaint Collector

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 04:49 AM

Here's a pretty rare sight; a topette in its original 19th century wrapping paper and binding straw.
Three sets of 2 recently became available, which were found in their original box in an attic in France!
This little 3-dose topette will never be seen, as it would be a crime to remove the wrapping...the mystery!

A Lionel train collector found a pre-WWII Electromagnetic Crane still sealed in the box, he had it x-rayed to prove the box held it's contents.
It's reportedly changed hands among some high rolling collectors, still un-opened.

An un-named Herbsaint collector has a number of still sealed in the box, vintage Herbsaint glasses and drippers, the rumor that he sleeps next to boxes has yet to be confirmed.
Posted Image
At the close of the day drink an Herbsaint Frappé,...Legendre Herbsaint, always served when absinthe is called for.
The History of Legendre Herbsaint

#97 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 08:37 AM

Guarded by a dangerous creature. And his boxer. :)

#98 greenbird

greenbird

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 06:50 PM

I've always been curious. What was an average dose pre-ban area?
Some tastes grow from desire, some from disrepute and some still from boredom, ad infinitum.

#99 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,309 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 09:19 PM

about 25 ml. Some bigger, some smaller, but this seems to be the average.

#100 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,723 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 08:31 AM

That's what she said.

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#101 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 01:49 PM

I thought most glasses being repros, the dose would be the same. But that is a swag.

Sorry about the acronym to the member formerly known as OMG_Bill. :)

#102 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,187 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 02:07 PM

I don't know about back then but tonight's doses of absinthe, circa 1910, will be about 30ml.......each.

'Tis a shame I'll be drinking alone. *smile*

New year welcoming is a once a year treat. May as well make it a nice treat. Cheers!

#103 Hedonmonkey

Hedonmonkey

Hedonistic, wise-ass brat.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 02:40 PM

New year welcoming is a once a year treat. May as well make it a nice treat. Cheers!

Indeed!

I pledge allegiance to Queen Fragg and her mighty state of Hysteria...     -Calvin

"Until you stalk and overrun, you can't devour anyone."    -Hobbes

#104 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,723 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 03:18 PM

Squared! :b-day:

#105 mgs

mgs

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 08:57 AM

A never-opened topette in its original wrapping paper is like a good marriage between a blind wife and a deaf husband.

- mgs

#106 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,187 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 09:10 AM

I will certainly agree with that analogy.

Thank you!

Peace-

#107 Jay

Jay

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 10:10 AM

I can appreciate not opening the thing. It may be the one, you know, the perfect one.

For me, I like the idea of keeping it wrapped not because it holds the allure of possibly being the most pristine topette (as Scott pointed out, fine examples of 3-dose topettes like this aren't very rare), but because this one little object preserves a specific moment in time laden with cultural details (from the type of paper used, the manner in which it was tied, the idea that straw was used instead of string, which itself leads to interesting questions about when certain practices came into being, etc.).

Ultimately, yes, it's just paper and straw, but archaeologists are ecstatic to find exactly this sort of preserved object in their work, and given that I'm aware of only a small handful of these being known to exist in this state, I'm all for keeping it intact. Good on you Scott for not giving into the temptation!

#108 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,309 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:49 PM

One of the things that I love about antiques is the human story, which is often a mystery. Who used them?
what were their stories? There is a tactile romantic vibe that these pieces offer to us. I find it
centering and relaxing... kind of romantic. Where I live, anything that can help put on the brakes and slow down time is welcomed. When I see this wrapped topette, I think of the glassblower carefully wrapping and boxing it for delivery; part of the process and story. I often call these antiques "time machines" for this reason, as they evoke an awareness of the past very strongly in me.

Perhaps I'm a romantic, escapist, a bit crazy... Midnight in Paris nailed it.

#109 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,723 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:41 PM

Where I live, anything that can help put on the brakes and slow down time is welcomed.

Funny, I can remember quite a few really laid back afternoons spent at The Mystic Warrior/Goddess, and Canterbury Ales at the turn of the millennium.

Then again, those folks are all romantics like us, aren't they? :)

#110 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,187 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:25 AM

Ultimately, yes, it's just paper and straw, but archaeologists are ecstatic to find exactly this sort of preserved object in their work, and given that I'm aware of only a small handful of these being known to exist in this state, I'm all for keeping it intact.

Like this?

[attachment=6502:Pernod_F...w_III_1_.jpg]

#111 crow

crow

There's a fly in my potatoes.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:52 AM

As a former archaeologist I say keep it intact. It's a rare treasure. And to me, the wrapping itself is beautiful.
"Vivir con miedo, es como vivir a medias!" ("A life lived in fear is a life half lived.") --Frangipani della Squeegeemop

#112 Jay

Jay

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:21 AM

Like this?
[attachment=6502:Pernod_F...w_III_1_.jpg]

That's a great photo, Bill - thanks for uploading it. I haven't seen that one before. Was this a bottle found in its original packing material? I'm curious if that kind of straw wrapper was used in every case or crate of absinthe being shipped out of the factory, or perhaps just for the ones being shipped overseas.

#113 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,723 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:03 PM

As a former archaeologist I say keep it intact. It's a rare treasure. And to me, the wrapping itself is beautiful.

What New Hampshiana Jones said.

Edited by Absomphe, 12 April 2012 - 01:03 PM.

#114 crow

crow

There's a fly in my potatoes.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:29 PM

What New Hampshiana Jones said.

(As a matter of fact, for my Ancient Civ lessons I sometimes do a character called New Hampshire Jones... better known as "Hampy.")
"Vivir con miedo, es como vivir a medias!" ("A life lived in fear is a life half lived.") --Frangipani della Squeegeemop

#115 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,309 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:58 PM

Very cool photo Bill! Abs, I forgot we share(d) the same geography, just at different times! Canterbury is still there, and is run by the same great folks.

#116 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,187 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:30 PM

Thank you Scott. :)

Just a little something I found while cleaning the closet looking for booze. <shrug>

Funny how things get forgotten while I run amok with casual $$$.

That shit doesn't exist anymore though.
Sigh!

#117 Songcatcher

Songcatcher

Extrait d' Hillbilly

• Bronze Member
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:38 PM

Just a little something I found while cleaning the closet looking for booze. <shrug>

Uh, Bill? Can i come over and date your closet?

The room it smelled heavy of drinkin',  

and the sad silent song, made the hour twice as long,

as I waited for that sun to go sinkin'.

#118 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,187 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:49 AM

Sure come on by. If we aren't home, the key is under the frog. ;)

The fountains are in the den on the shelf.

Ice is in the fridge.

Glasses are near the ice, near the fountains and on my desk.

You are quite welcome.

:cheers:

#119 Songcatcher

Songcatcher

Extrait d' Hillbilly

• Bronze Member
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:19 PM

Fine fine example of a true Gent

The room it smelled heavy of drinkin',  

and the sad silent song, made the hour twice as long,

as I waited for that sun to go sinkin'.

#120 Clement Arnoux (Aggelos)

Clement Arnoux (Aggelos)

Treasure Hunter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:34 AM

Agreed with all above. I've stopped collecting topettes, I already have a shelf full of them. Granted, I love the little things, but most of them are far too common (and even then, the most uncommon topettes I have ever found I sent them to two of the people answering this thread)

But an absinthe related item in its original wrapper ? Well still wouldn't buy it (it's my credo for canes and absinthe antiques : if you can't use it, you don't buy it). But it's quite the rare sight, and a treasure. Would lose all value (and not only market value), all meaning if unwrapped. It's a real testimony of times passed.

Fine fine example of a true Gent

I have a friend like that in Geneva. We went with another friend to see him, since he organized an absinthe related get-together at his office. He let us sleep at his office, and when leaving us for the night, his last words were

By all means, don't stop drinking while I'm gone, you know where the cabinet is. I want a detailed review of everything you have not tasted yet by tomorrow

But back on the topic of topettes.
Of all the ones I have, my prefered one is this one, for its very unusual shape
Posted Image
(have to take a better picture)
Absinthe makes me a different man. Why shouldn't he also have his two glasses ?
Unless Absomphe-related, if it's about old things, you can ask me

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association