Kalleo

Poor Mans Absinthe - A College Budget

I'm just going to mention that I vehemently disagree with your assessment of LOTR and go on my way. :)

First of all, a quick update for those who are curious: I asked my uncle and discovered the first glass that got me hooked was actually Pacifique! So it turns out I didn't need to ask about that one. Since all of your initial suggestions, I have since tried Lucid with a friend, and Kübler. I didn't mind either, though neither wowed me quite as much as my first glass - but they were certainly bearable as everyday drinks! Lucid's Louche was nice, which made it more enjoyable, and I didn't mind some of the strong flavor I read others complain about. Kübler was rather surprisingly sweet...I almost didn't want any sugar with it! But certainly not anything I would turn my nose up at. Thanks a ton for the suggestions everyone!

Continuing the tangential conversations this thread has spawned, I throw in my lot with Peridot...I didn't object to the directing or screenplay of Lord of the Rings at all.

I'm late to the party but I'm glad to hear Mansinthe might be worth a shot. I've heard very mixed reviews as well. Just got my half bottle of Nouvelle Orleans in the mail the other day as well, so I'm excited to give that a first shot.

I'm a fan of Oliver Matter's work. Mansinthe may not be the most impressive thing from that distillery but perfectly drinkable. In Montana, it's running $71 a bottle while Pacifique is $67 a bottle (when I can get it). That's an easy decision for me.

At least it's a legitimate, authentic, decent product. It could have been a powerful force for misinformation.

Yeah, I've had a difficult time finding much around here without importing it. Total wine carries a few major brands like Grande Absente, Lucid, Pernod, and the like, and one other shop I've found seems to get very small quantities of random selections du jour but they focus primarily on import beer singles. Anybody have any suggestions on places in or near Orlando, FL. that might offer a better selection, or am I best off just importing?

Yeah, I've had a difficult time finding much around here without importing it. Total wine carries a few major brands like Grande Absente, Lucid, Pernod, and the like, and one other shop I've found seems to get very small quantities of random selections du jour but they focus primarily on import beer singles. Anybody have any suggestions on places in or near Orlando, FL. that might offer a better selection, or am I best off just importing?

I've had to import most of the favorite brands in my collection. I haven't run into too many problems, and it gives me something to look forward to when it arrives. :cheers:

I've had to import most of the favorite brands in my collection..

And myself quite the opposite. I have found my favorites here in the States, although mail order, usually.. Thank goodness for DUNY I have my Pacifique always on hand.

You're right, I should re-phrase what I said to "import/mail-order", as I actually meant that I can't walk into a store and buy most of my favorites on-the-spot. It's probably a good thing, to minimize those impulse buys and stay within my absinthe budget! :cheerz:

I've also ordered a few things from Drink Up, but I sometimes find importing them to be cheaper (even with shipping here and there). Definitely a cool resource in the states though.

With Del Toro I'm fairly confident in it. The only thing that worries me is that every Lovecraft adaptation is always completely fucked, with almost no similarity to the source material. Except, going by what I've heard, the HPLHS and their silent film version of The Call of Cthulhu.

Mostly true, but i did like the first Re-animator, the rest are total crap and i also like From Beyond. Any other H.P. Lovecraft film should be avoided like the plague.

From Beyond is great fun. I also enjoyed the episode Gordon directed for Masters of Horror based on "Dreams in the Witch House."

And although it's obviously not a Lovecraft adaptation, I always thought that the original Hellboy movie had some nifty Lovecraftian touches.

AiO, if you like the Hellboy movies, I highly recommend the graphic novels. The lovecraft comes a'spewing forth from there. Definitely a major influence. I will say the non silent CALL is pretty damn bad, but I don't hate the Dagon adaptation. It's pretty well in the spirit for a made for TV movie.

I'd have to say my favorite from Masters of Horror is "Cigarette Burns" though. Definitely some heavy Lovecraft nods in there as well.

Sadly, it looks like MoM is officially scrapped.