Kalleo

Poor Mans Absinthe - A College Budget

Guess I lost that round of reading vs. skimming.

Aside form a title and a date there isn't much information on the imdb. As long as Cameron is only signing off on it and not putting everything under another blue filter on the old cowboys and indians tale, it might turn out all right I guess. I don't know about 3D, Shoggoths and elder things are scary enough without it. Maybe they're hoping to scare people with obscene ticket prices as well...

With Del Toro I'm fairly confident in it. The only thing that worries me is that every Lovecraft adaptation is always completely fucked, with almost no similarity to the source material. Except, going by what I've heard, the HPLHS and their silent film version of The Call of Cthulhu.

Also, I completely agree about Mountains of Madness...a well-done movie would be phenomenal. Maybe convince Peter Jackson or Guillermo Del Toro to direct it? Personally, I adore the short story The Quest of Iranon...haunting but beautiful.

You're in major luck if that's what you want. From what I've recently heard, James Cameron is producing a film adaptation of At the Mountains of Madness, with Guillermo Del Toro directing. :)

That's amazing. Del Toro is THE ONLY guy who MIGHT be able to capture the creeping, eerie vibe that was so very well-crafted by Lovecraft. The problem here is that it was NOT seeing or knowing that made this short novel so amazing. The slow reveal is critical in telling this story. I hope they can not sell out to the pop film crowd's needs.

That's what I've heard as well, and share your feelings about Del Toro.

Caught this news over at MHVF a few days back. Del Toro is just about the only high profile director working in Hollywood today that I'd trust with this project. There are moments in the first Hellboy, particularly, that give me confidence he has the chops to pull it off. Anyway, I'd rather have him working on this than The Hobbit any day.

House of Re-Animator might not be too much of a stretch from the source material. :pirate:

With Barbara Crampton as the first lady? I'm there, dude.

Here's the trailer. I'm not happy. This does not bode well. None of the mystery and subtle eeriness is apparent in this trailer. I've read the stroy 3 times, and this is not what I saw at least, in my mind's eye....

I'll make your day really happy now.

The new trailer for the film version of H. P. Lovecraft's "At the Mountains of Madness".

This is a different take on the same material I used in an earlier faux trailer. I wanted a more "Hollywood" feel, so there's an increased emphasis on action sequences, sound bites, and rapid editing than the original.

As a faux trailer I think this does a pretty good job of hitting all the major plot points of the story without too much rock 'em, sock 'em Hollywood action.

It's a fan-made trailer made of footage from various other movies. Right now it's way too early for there to be a trailer for the film, as they haven't even begun filming yet.

Lovecraft is genius. I've tried all the absinthe brands you mentioned, and in my opinion, any of them are worth a try to give you a basis for comparison as you sample more brands. Which is, of course, much of the fun...

I completely agree with everyone who says Del Toro would be the man for the job...glad you told me my wish was accurate and he might be the one to finally do it! Also, thanks with the avatar help...as you can probably see, I fixed it. That fan trailer was pretty cool, but I think you're right about the lack of subtlety sbmac. Honestly, I think that Pan's Labyrinth is one of the most amazing movies to have come out of the last generation of film - if he can pull off anything like the mixture of terror and wonder he accomplished in that and combine it with the Lovecraft style of horror and the supernatural, it will be a genuinely amazing movie.

I'm feeling very encouraged about branching out and trying some different absinthes from the discussed set, so it should be a lot of fun - hopefully I'll be able to give some input myself to discussions like this for someone in the future! Once again, thanks to everyone.

Hey Kalleo, what part of KY do you live in to have such a wide selection locally? I live in the southeast and I've found nothing. Where do you do most of your absinthe shopping? I know there's the party source way up north, but that's quite far for me to go just for absinthe.

I know you've already had a lot of responses but figured I'd toss my tuppence worth in. A preponderance of a point of view is helpful.

I agree with splitting bottles if you're on a budget. However, having it shipped from overseas is almost as good as getting it locally if you order from the right places. Rue Verte ships free over 200.00 american and Liqueurs de France ships free over 100 euro. There are so many distillers tripping over each other to make and sell good absinthe that for now at least their competition over price point is in our favour. It's not an even swap since 700 ml is the Euro standard compared to our 750 but if you want a bottle of good absinthe in your hand it's a good deal.

Mansinthe was my first and I still like it a great deal. At 60.00 750ml it's a good price. Contrary to some, I like Lucid too. Although I may have to agree with whomever pointed out the hangover effect of beet alcohol compared to grape.

Vieux Pontarlier is my favourite so far followed by Jade's Edouard. Anything Jade actually.

Vieux Carre' from Penn Distilling is great too at 56.00 a bottle

have fun...Tad

That's what I've heard as well, and share your feelings about Del Toro.

Caught this news over at MHVF a few days back. Del Toro is just about the only high profile director working in Hollywood today that I'd trust with this project. There are moments in the first Hellboy, particularly, that give me confidence he has the chops to pull it off. Anyway, I'd rather have him working on this than The Hobbit any day.

Supposedly there are Elder things in the Hellboy sequel but I haven't seen it. I thought Cronos had some subtle Lovecraftian elements to it.

House of Re-Animator might not be too much of a stretch from the source material. :pirate:

With Barbara Crampton as the first lady? I'm there, dude.

Everyone knows brunettes are eviler and therefore sexier.

Trauma, I live in Lawrenceburg (some people may know it solely because Wild Turkey is made here). There isn't really anything here, but I live within 15 minutes of Frankfort, 30 of Lexington, and 40 of Louisville, plus I'm relatively close to Midway - all of which have pretty wide selections if you know where to look!

Go by Buffalo Trace in Frankfort, they make Herbsaint Original there, as well as Peychaud's bitters, and Sazerac Rye, everything you need to make a decent Sazerac cocktail.

Trauma, I live in Lawrenceburg (some people may know it solely because Wild Turkey is made here). There isn't really anything here, but I live within 15 minutes of Frankfort, 30 of Lexington, and 40 of Louisville, plus I'm relatively close to Midway - all of which have pretty wide selections if you know where to look!

Nice. I live in the middle of nowhere. A little more than 2 hours (when driving the speed limit :laugh: ) south/southeast of lexington. Right smackdab on the KY/VA/TN border. I'm also surrounded by dry counties. (So no wild turkey. But all the moonshine you can drink! Heyo!) ...oh and weed too... Mostly weed.

Edited by Trauma_Hound

Moonshine could be good. Weed is another forum. ;)

Okay. It is just that I saw in another thead things like "I have taken shrooms and lsd", "I drank bong water", "I smoked blah blah". I just made a comment that there is nothing wrong with it. I use it medicinally.

Edited by kibbles

DUNY and Astor wines is great places to start I think if you are looking for a cheaper but good absinthe I would say Obsello because it is only 44 bucks. So it depends what you are willing to spend.

Also, I completely agree about Mountains of Madness...a well-done movie would be phenomenal. Maybe convince Peter Jackson ...to direct it?

Good grief...wasn't the Rape of the Lord of the Rings bad enough? (Acknowledged, the movies looked phenomenal, but for my part I give credit to the costume designers and artists. The screenplay must have Tolkien rolling in his grave....)

There is a lot of Lovecraft I'd like to see on film though, given the right treatment.