Kalleo

Poor Mans Absinthe - A College Budget

Greetings, everyone! As a relative newcomer to drinking Absinthe, I must say I've been thrilled to start reading more and more about the green fairy. I've tried to do a bit of research on my own, at least enough to not be a disgrace to absinthe drinking society (i.e. I've already talked a friend out of the flaming sugar technique...), and have tried to investigate brands (largely using the excellent review system on this site!)

However, I am unfortunately a senior in college, and as such, am on an extremely restrictive budget. I understand that absinthe is not something to buy on the cheap whenever it can be helped, but if I want to enjoy any at all, I don't have much of a choice.

Through my own searching I've seen a few brands come up repeatedly that might be good for me, either by virtue of easy access or relative cheapness for being at least a reasonable "everyday" drink: Lucid, Pacifique Absinthe Verte Superieure, Kübler, Obsello Absenta and Mansinthe. Admittedly, I was somewhat surprised by that last one. I thought before I stock up on anything in particular, I should ask the good, knowledgeable people of the Wormwood Society for advice and make sure I was doing justice to the drink! So, what should I be on the lookout for as a quality budget absinthe? I'm trying to stay under 60$, and the further down I can go and still retain a manner of quality, the better.

Edited by Kalleo

Through my own searching I've seen a few brands come up repeatedly that might be good for me, either by virtue of easy access or relative cheapness for being at least a reasonable "everyday" drink: Lucid, Pacifique Absinthe Verte Superieure, Kübler, Obsello Absenta and Mansinthe.

Lucid...skip it.

Pacifique...not my favorite, but lots of people like it.

Kübler...skip it.

Obsello...pretty good.

Mansinthe...really?

Don't rule out Vieux Pontarlier or Duplais Verte...definitely among the best buys on a limited budget. DUNY ships virtually everywhere, so you should be able to get them easily enough.

I understand your problem. I watch my students struggle with that same issues everyday. Gas in the car, food in the belly, paying the rent, etc... It's tough. What I would recommend for getting the most bang for your buck and not hurting your wallet too badly is to team up with a friend or two. Pick-up a couple of cheap brown or green bottles and T-Corks from a local brew store. Then split the cost and share the bottle. You'll each come out with 375ml without going to the poor house.

By the way, if you can get Pacifique locally, you're doing great! :cheers:

Thank you all very much for the warm welcomes! I can tell I'm going to like it here. :thumbup:

Jules, that is precisely the reason why I'm even willing to drop as much money as I am on the stuff. I'm a bargain hunter (to an extent, have to be) and I always look for the best deal. I'm a fairly big fan of bourbon as well, and I love Evan Williams 1783 - only 15$ for 750ml, which is the single best deal on the market in my opinion. Buying absinthe is thus a pretty huge stretch for me, even cheap absinthe, but it's one I'm willing to make.

Marlow, I was quite skeptical about the Mansinthe suggestion as well, and I'm glad I asked. Lucid getting the thumbs down doesn't surprise me too much...it seemed to me like the "commercial" absinthe of the lot (I mean, it was once featured in The Colbert Report...as much as I love that show, that seemed a little odd to me). I might have to try Pacifique myself and just decide if it's for me. It's encouraging to hear that Obsello is good, as I've seen it fairly dirt cheap compared to some other absinthe's. I must say I'm disappointed that Kübler is a skip, as there are some places very near me with a pretty great deal - 45$ for a liter bottle of the stuff.

After reading the reviews of Vieux Pontarlier and Duplais Verte, I'm definitely going to give both a shot (though probably only after following Joe Legates much appreciated suggestion of splitting the cost with a friend...I only saw the Duplais for 70ish).

All input greatly appreciated!

Edited by Kalleo

Vieux Carre is the best budget absinthe in my book.

Of the list you posted, I'd go with the Mansinthe or the Pacifique. If you're new to absinthe (and it sounds like you are), you'd do fine with any of the brands you asked about. None of them are bad, per se, it's just that brands like Kübler aren't that great in comparison.

Absinthe is a concentrate so you are getting more bang for your buck if you will.

Listen to the lady Kalleo, she speaks from experience, thanks to the Doctor's suggestion. :pirate:

After reading the reviews of Vieux Pontarlier and Duplais Verte, I'm definitely going to give both a shot (though probably only after following Joe Legate's much appreciated suggestion of splitting the cost with a friend...I only saw the Duplais for 70ish).

I wouldn't mind multiple Joes, but I'm sure some people out there probably would.

Lucid...skip it.

Pacifique...not my favorite, but lots of people like it.

Kübler...skip it.

Obsello...pretty good.

Mansinthe...really?

Lucid: good for a newbie. Traditionally made but middle-shelf.

Pacifique: ashamed I haven't had it. Most of what I've heard has been very positive.

Kübler: can also be good for a newbie. Very simple flavour profile. Also middle-shelf.

Obsello: haven't had it, but heard good things.

Mansinthe: very good, but not for everyone. Hyssop bomb.

As you can see, Kalleo, opinions vary around here. Don't take any one person's word for it. You should hit the review section of the main site to get a good picture of the overall community sentiment toward various brands.

Oh and splitting costs with others is a great idea. I've done it.

Phoenix, I'll definitely have to give Vieux Carre a chance as well. See, this is why I came here before I did my shopping, never would have heard of some of these great lookings absinthes otherwise! So, you're a Mansinthe supporter, eh? Man, that seems to be the one I'm getting by far the most mixed reaction about...the curiosity might get me on that.

Baubel, I definitely trust Jules on that matter! Considering a fifth of absinthe will provide about 25 drinks, whereas a fifth of a standard 80 proof liquor only provides 17, I certainly see the inherent value. That said, I buy cheap fifths of others as well (though only the best reviewed cheap ones), so I'm still wary of spending 50+ dollars on just about anything. And duly noted - Legate it is. :)

Peridot, this thread alone is enough to prove that there are mixed reviews, so I'll definitely be scanning others opinions as well. It'll also help when I get a clearer view of what it is I'm after in a drink, because I am pretty inexperience (looking forward to learning!) Also, on an unrelated note, I checked out your sig because I'm a huge H.P. Lovecraft fan and the name interested me, and must say the song Cthulhu Fhtagn was awesome. Right up my alley for certain days!

Edited by Kalleo

Exactly what Peridot said except that I can vouch for the Obsello, it's great. I think Kübler is a great starting absinthe and one of the best deals in my opinion. A lot of people here have tried a lot of great absinthe and so don't bother with stuff like Kübler and Lucid. I think they are very good for beginners or for everyday absinthes and they are definitely worth a try.

I'll second him on the Mansinthe as well, it's very good.

Edited by Babble

Nothing wrong with Mansinthe mate, but as Peridot said 'it's not for everyone' but you'll find that true of most absinthes. Mansinthe is a very well made drop imo.

In Oklahoma I'm limited to Kübler, Lucid and St. George. I keep them on hand for folks that are new to absinthe. I generally skip the St. George but that's just me. I like to start the new folks on booze that's readily available.

I may have a different brand or two stashed and when the newbs decide they want to make the leap.....it won't be far to the others.

Buy the best you can. You can get better or much, much worse later. There is also a cost per drink table on the main page somewhere. Pretty interesting and surprising in some cases.

Have fun with it. After all, it's your taste that matters and your tastes will change from day to day. :devil:

Welcome, and you find your way! What happens here is that many have had world-class absinthe, so the more entry level stuff tends to get panned. I think it is a good idea to start with something like Lucid or Kübler so you'll have an understanding of the differences when you DO get the really good stuff. It will also tell you if you like absinthe at all!

Mansinthe deserves better than to be grouped with the other two BTW. It is pretty good stuff, and different, which is why it is worth a try. Several of the 12 or so people I've personally introduced to absinthe, loved mansinthe for a long time, then went on to other absinthes from there. Duplais verte is darn good stuff too, but for that price you're right up in Meadow of love and Walton Waters zone...hard to get better.

Man, that seems to be the one I'm getting by far the most mixed reaction about...the curiosity might get me on that.

Most of its bad reputation is its namesake, but some of it also comes from being a bit unusual. But it's not bad or poorly made by any means, and it's not as weird as something like St. George. I actually have to give Manson credit here. Before having his own brand he was always depicted as drinking artificially coloured oil mixes, and he easily could have decided to work with a maker of one of those. But he decided to work with Matter, the makers of Duplais, and create a distilled, naturally coloured absinthe.

Also, on an unrelated note, I checked out your sig because I'm a huge H.P. Lovecraft fan and the name interested me, and must say the song Cthulhu Fhtagn was awesome. Right up my alley for certain days!

Glad you like it!

Yup. Absinthe, Lovecraft, and metal. I don't indulge in all three everyday but they are all quite nice.

Edited by baubel

Oops! I left out Pacifique, Leopold, and Marteau! All very well-made and yummy world-class American absinthes.

Lovecraft. Such a visionary writer. I WISH someone would make a true-to-style respectful film rendition of Mountains of Madness.

Alright, so I'm definitely feeling pretty solid about experimenting, and I think it's a safe bet I won't be put off by some of the cheaper absinthes, as I'm obviously not experience with anything high-end. (I have actually had absinthe, but I have no idea what brand it was...my uncle served some, and that's when I became interested...loved the stuff he had, I'll have to ask what it was!)

Also, I completely agree about Mountains of Madness...a well-done movie would be phenomenal. Maybe convince Peter Jackson or Guillermo Del Toro to direct it? Personally, I adore the short story The Quest of Iranon...haunting but beautiful.

Yes, Peridot what you said about the Mansinthe is just what I was going to say. It seems like sometimes people just have a hard time getting over the Manson association. I have never had a problem with Manson and I think Mansinthe is GREAT! Also yea man, I checked out that music project of yours and I dig it! Big fan of Lovecraft as well. :cheers:

You set your personal photo but did you set your avatar? Go to my controls -> personal profile -> edit avatar settings -> the page should guide you from there. Hopefully this will help.

For the record, Manson is a brilliant artist. You don't have to be a fan of the genre to appreciate what he does artistically with his music, painting and film imagery. I think he selected Matter with the same care he does all his projects. People need to see past the media, hype and mask that artists put on.. Our society seems to always shun those who push the envelope. When if you look closely, there is often a very human message hidden with the angst. (Not hidden for some). I spent an hour or so a year ago watching ALL his music videos, and I was ashamed that I never taken the time to know his work before that, based on some lame perception I had...AND I'M IN THE MUSIC BIZ! I should have known better. I respect the guy, what can I say.

It should be noted that although Mansinthe is a decent product made at a great distillery, Marilyn Manson is a terrible spokesperson for absinthe. When he was first publicizing his product launch, he was making a lot of connections between absinthe and drugs, which is frowned upon here for obvious reasons. That's a big reason why some here don't care for the Mansinthe. Fortunately, he seemed to quickly step back and let the product speak for itself.

<---- Quite possibly the biggest Marilyn Manson fan on these boards.

Edited by Phoenix

Also, I completely agree about Mountains of Madness...a well-done movie would be phenomenal. Maybe convince Peter Jackson or Guillermo Del Toro to direct it? Personally, I adore the short story The Quest of Iranon...haunting but beautiful.

You're in major luck if that's what you want. From what I've recently heard, James Cameron is producing a film adaptation of At the Mountains of Madness, with Guillermo Del Toro directing. :)

I don't think it would take that much convincing. Financing is another matter though. I've read that Guillermo Del Toro wants to direct it, and from what I've gathered there are a lot of directors out there who share in the desire. At the Mountains of Madness film fund anybody?

Baub, read above. James Cameron producing. Oh, and it will be in 3D, not that I give a crap about that.