Mike D.

hi, my name is mike...

Hi. I'm new here. I found this place after looking at the notorious "czech shit" and thinking about buying it... Good thing i found this place. I've never tried absinthe before, and my girlfriend and I are interested. We're pretty poor and not big drinkers. So we'd be looking for a cheaper absinthe with a lower alcohol content and high thujone content. We want to feel the "effects" for our first time. There will be time to become afficionados later... Does anyone have any recommendations? What's the price range for a serving? Is it best to buy online? From a distributor's site or the manufacturer's site?

Thanks for being a friendly, reliable forum...

Mike

Hi Mike.

The first recommendation is to check out the FAQs on the WS homepage. You will quickly learn that thujone plays no role in flavor or "effects." Sorry but that myth has been resoundingly busted.

My second recommendation would be to find a nice bar that serves absinthe in a traditional fashion (no fire, please). That will allow you to try a couple of different absinthes without dropping the cash on a full bottle.

And of course, Welcome to the Forum.

Welcome, but a friendly warning: There are folks here who have little patience for the "thujone and effects" hype, and those who come here seeking that. It can be forgiven, as there is so much crap out there about it...nobody new to absinthe can be blamed for buying into it. Once they are corrected and given true information however (like that on this site), nobody here will pursue that topic. As Joe mentions, there is a lot to be learned here by spending some time reading the FAQs. Good friends to be made, and great advice to learn from! You can also compare the absinthe reviews here to what's available at places like Drink Up New York, Catskill Cellars, and K&L spirits to see what costs what, and which you're interested in. Good luck on your journey!

Hi Mike. :wave2:

The only "effects" I've experienced from absinthe have been pleasant conversations with friends. The alcohol will get you drunk if that's an effect.

It'd be unwise to buy into the hype and a huge waste of money.

There is a lovely review section accessible from the front page.

Have a charming day. :)

Thanks for not hating on a noob. Absinthe seems like an interesting drink regardless of effects. Good thing I won't be disappointed by the hype now. I feel like i would like stuff that's heavy in anise because i like the aftertaste of licorice... Apparently too much of that is considered tacky... Thanks again for being friendly!

... and now that you know, you're one of the really cool kids.

As for anise, it's all about balance. The mass-market brands rely on a lot of anise oil and sugar, so they end up tasting like Good and Plentys. A good absinthe will showcase the anise and wormwood, but balance that "licorice" flavor with the other herbs. Authentic absinthe contains no sugar. If there's any doubt, just evaporate a little in a saucer: sticky = sugar.

Welcome. :cheers:

Hi. :cheers:

Kübler is a pretty safe bet for a newbie, and it's one of the cheaper absinthes, especially since it comes in a full 1L bottle. It's not terribly complex but it's a start, and it's very anise-forward with wormwood becoming more dominant in the weeks and months after it is opened.

Glad to have you hear, Mike. :wave2:

You're probably still feeling a little let down by the fact that absinthe does not produce any drug-like effects or hallucinations, but once you've tried it a few times I think you'll be pleasantly surprised to find that it's so good on its own that you won't miss those mythological effects anyway. In fact, I tend to get a little bit of an energy boost or heightened 'clarity' after one glass (as opposed to other alcohols which have acted as more of a sedative) and frankly that's a much nicer effect IMO.

In terms of verte (green) absinthes, you might find Obsello to be to your liking. Check out the reviews.

:cheers: Hello, Mike D, welcome to the WS. I have to agree with Jay on the Obsello. Quality brand & it won't shred your wallet. (Of course, it won't make you trip ballz the those Czech brands do) ;) (Apologies to Martin - St. Antoine is the exception to the Czech reputation)

Hello Mike D. you have plenty of great advice here already, and so you know, this is the place I came to first before I spent any money and it has been a great journey so far, so I'll just say welcome :cheers:

Welcome Mike... enjoy the world of absinthe. If you're looking for a cheaper, but still relatively good absinthe, I'd recommend a bottle of Kübler. It's 1 liter, instead of 750ml, and it runs at least 10 bucks cheaper than the other mass distributed absinthe brands.