Ken Desloges

Absinthe Butterfly back !?!

Absinthe by definition of the trinity is not a culmination of herbs historically grown in any particular region. When one gets into ancillary herbs used this gets even dicier, they span most of the world and you would be hard pressed to find a combination of herbs used that was grown in any particular region, historically speaking. This is analogous to a Italian tomato sauce when tomatoes are not native to Italy but rather to North America.

Phoenix: with free shipping from RueVerte, it works out at $72.50/bottle if you're placing a big enough order, or combining with other products.

Well then fuck the arguments with asstro glide!

but seriously...

how can I get some?

Same Ontario problem, I'm afraid. I've told Premier in Halifax but that will take some time.

Promotion promotion promotion.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

For those interested in Fée Verte reviews of Butterfly, the first ones are here.

Hahahahaha.

Access Denied

The link you are accessing has been blocked by the Barracuda Web Filter because it contains content belonging to the category of: Illegal Drugs

If you believe this is an error or need to access this link please contact your administrator.

URL: http://www.feeverte.net

Ironically, the only absinthe forum NOT blocked at work is absinthe-review.net for some strange reason. Appropos of absolutely nothing.

Also got a bottle of Butterfly today, had after dinner, had the Fontaine before dinner.

Although very good on its own and the thickest louche I have ever seen, nothing in it stood out. The flavor was like a blend of Nouvelle Orleans and Duplais Verte.

Glad I tried it though, and would recomend it to others.

I liked a lot Butterfly... I tried it a few days ago.

Since I never tried Nouvelle Orleans neither Duplais Verte, I cannot compare.

But I am very happy that I have a bottle of Butterfly.....

Cheers,

- Marcelo

Big Mike the new guy, here, and my package has arrived from Alandia. I decided to start with a sample of Butterfly.

In short, WOW! So this is Swiss absinthe, huh? A lot more flavor than I expected. Tried it without the sugar but it was a little too intense for my underdeveloped taste buds... Added some Agave nectar to equalize it a bit. LOVE IT! I just don't think I'm going to find an absinthe made in the USA with this much flavor.

Maybe I should hold off until my Delaware Phoenix shipment arrives.

As for now, my PF 1901 and Berthe de Joux are going to have to wait patiently for their turn.

Thank you sir, may I have another? Don't mind if I do!

You sound pretty confidant! But finding out is going to be the fun part! Every bottle I've had so far has been much much different than the bottles I've tried before.

This is a nice drink. I'm glad I found it.

I'm prejudice but I think the top American producers can go head-to-head with the best Europe has to offer. Marteau, Pacifique, Delaware Phoenix and Leopold are the products of artists. They understand the history and techniques as well as anyone in Europe. It's not a question of "which one is better" but rather, which one would you prefer at a given moment. In terms of quality and tradition, they a take back seat to no one.

I have only had an early Butterfly proto so haven't tried the CO offering. Knowing Saxon's passion and the distiller's skill, I'm sure the commercial offering is very good.

Butterfly is more rooted in pre-ban American traditions and recipes, whereas the current American absinthes, like these Joe has mentioned, are more rooted in French/Swiss tradition without any American aura aside from the place they have originated in. You can compare Duplais verte, Vieux Pontarlier, or such with them and here the latter, so American ones surely win over, but you should not compare Butterfly as it is different story and different absinthe. Of course, the times of Duplais verte, Vieux Pontarlier and such are gone and we are now witnessing the quality represented by the likes of Berthe de Joux, for instance which was unthinkable of some time ago.

Leopold, #14-the only one that has come safe and sound here, the rest were stolen or what, was a midway of absinthes of Europe and USA, still it is nothing comparable with Butterfly, another different and very original story. Leopold (as I said I have no idea how much it developed) is a really good absinthe on its own.

Edited by Boggy

Boggy, what would you say are the two biggest differences (feel free to name more) between American made pre-ban absinthe and pre-ban absinthe made in the French/Swiss tradition?

Surely, the first is the herb-bill, meaning incorporation of certain ingredients that you would hardly ever meet in French protocols/books. Second thing is devoted to water:alcohol ratio in case of maceration, prior to distillation (how much water is added to the ready alcoholate) and in case of final proofing.

The colouration seems to be another very differently written chapter, too.

Someone somewhere (it might have been Berthoud) said that success of pre-ban absinthes relied on the more or less constant herb-bill, i.e. the core herb-bill with some slight additions or omissions and finally replacements. One of the most common described is using coriander and badiane concurrently for instance.

If I am given the current Leopold, I would tell you whether it goes along the lines of American style of Butterfly or not. A kinda similar style was adopted in Sirene but since it was pushed over to extremes, it has failed from what I am reading.

Concluding, herb-bill is the first difference, water:alcohol ratio is the second.

As every brand has its own herb bill, what herbs were all the Americans using in the pre-ban days that the French and Swiss weren't using, and the current Americans aren't using either?

To put it another way, what herb(s) must one include in their absinthe that you wouldn't find in the French/Swiss protocols/books for it to be considered a traditional American absinthe?

Edited by Phoenix

Considering that Butterfly is the only (empty, as far as i know) bottle of extant pre-ban American absinthe, I wouldn't say that there is enough evidence to presuppose that a traditional recipe even exists.

New shipment arrived today and this batch is the greenest absinthe I have ever purchased. Not food coloring green, just a dense and attractive green. And the flavor, still amazing.

It has characteristics that I enjoy in Marteau. Spicy and interesting. I'm wondering if the Jade NO would be similar?

Now, if you'll excuse me, I am going to go pour another glass.

Well I ordered three more bottles of Butterfly a couple weeks ago along with two bottles of Jade Edouard. which I also enjoy very much!

I'm no good at reviewing these things yet. I enjoy the seemingly smoother brands from the US, Leopold, Delaware Pheonix and Marteau. But I drink Marteau in the 2nd glass.

Ususally I start off with a Leopold or Delaware Pheonix, using seven up instead of the classic water and sugar,

Then I go for the more adventurous Butterfly or Jade Edward or Marteau.All Excellent for my palate, interesting taste and my nose always get wet from thing to sniff the drink as I enjoy it.

Well, that's it. I like to see the editor rate Butterfly.

In the meantime, I'm working a lot of overtime because of the rains and will be buying some Ridge Verte with my next paycheck.

I cam hardly wait to try it.