Ken Desloges

Absinthe Butterfly back !?!

In case anyone is interested in the absinthe itself.

35541_1466848721665_1546956813_31117428_5987144_n.jpg

An excellent verte, with a very interesting citrus/mint flavour profile. A fascinating history: made in Boston from 1902 to 1920 and now resurrected by Brian of Absinthe Devil with some help from Claude-Alain. The original bottle from the Virtual Absinthe Museum site:

Butterfly-Absinthe-I2.jpg

The full story is being progressively uploaded to the Butterfly site.

Thanks, Alan. :cheers:

I recall bidding on a bottle of the original a few years back, but Frenchman wanted it a bit more than I did.

I'd certainly give the modern version a whirl.

2nd'ed on the :laf:

Thanks for the info, Alan. With the "citrus/mint" description, this sounds like one of the few vertes that might challenge my woman's love of blanches.

Looks quite interesting, could be worth a try.

But

That's rather ironic considering the IGP the Swiss are trying to get passed.
I'd have to agree. So only replicas of US pre-ban absinthe that are distiller proofed in the VdT and then commercially distilled in the US should be called absinthe. Right.*

Has the label -as shown on their website- gotten TTB approval (yes, I'm too lazy to check)? I've always thought Butterfly had a beautiful label, but given how conspicuous the word "Absinthe" is, and knowing the TTB's phobia of that word if not shrunk down and obscured, I gotta wonder.

*Perhaps we should avoid saying it's "the Swiss" that are trying to foist the IGP, since I know of some folks in Kallnach that would be equally hurt by it. I empathize though, since "Swiss" is definitely easier to type than Val-de-Travers.

"The first distiller to be approached was Claude-Alain Bugnon of La Clandestine fame."

Interesting. I know at least one American distiller that was approached, and another American distiller who approached Brian early last September.

In his mind, Butterfly Absinthe should have been one of the first absinthe brands American distillers looked towards when the TTB adjusted their view point on absinthe in 2007. Instead, Butterfly remained overlooked ...

No, it was definitely not overlooked. It's just that Brian moved faster on the trademark.

The irony is that a Swiss distiller who is firmly behind the Swiss IGP is reproducing an American pre-ban absinthe brand, which is clear evidence that the IGP is invalid.

If an American recipe falls in the woods, and a Swiss distiller is there to make it, does that make it absinthe? :twitchsmile:

Nohow!

Contrariwise, if a Swiss recipe falls in the woods, and an American distiller is there to make it, does that make it not-absinthe? If it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't not-absinthe.

That's logic.

I dont realy talk on this forum because i'm french speaking (i live in Canada) my name is Hugue, but from my opinion we should dont think about this IGP story and just taste it. I have a lot of anticipation from this absinthe. Claude-Alain is one of the most reliable distiller of the modern era. If someone want to make a product in a kind of constance, the artemisia distillery is a realy good choice. Claude-Alain know how to maintain a product realy good batch after batch contrary to some others distillery from France for example. You probably know than a lot of Swiss absinthe producer make their absinthes at the artemisia distillery. I think it was a good choice.

I'm certainly interested in Butterfly. I had a taste of what was close or maybe the final product at Boveresse... Looking forward to getting my hands on a bottle of the production stuff. :thumbup:

from my opinion we should dont think about this IGP story and just taste it...Claude-Alain is one of the most reliable distiller of the modern era.

Good as he may be, and well-intentioned as he may assert himself to be, he belongs to a gang which are making a really unpleasant maneuver in the industry and in the community. Many of us won't support him because of that.

The good news is, he and the other VdT producers are FAR from being the only skilled distillers in the world. And thank the stars for that.

I tried some of the Butterfly last night and it wasn't bad at all. Perfectly good booze.

Cheers to good booze! :cheers:

Hugue, I'm sure you can appreciate the irony that a historic American brand is now being produced by someone at the forefront of an argument meant to prevent brands from being labelled as absinthe if they weren't produced in his geographical area.

You may say that this has been discussed ad nauseam..... but I don't think you are fair in making the statement that Claude-Alain himself is behind the IGP. Show me the proofs !

It is interesting indeed that an old recipe of an American absinthe is now made in Switzerland..... but that has nothing to do with the IGP issues. There are other forces on this IGP politics, and you are making people who read this thread believe that Claude-Alain is orchestrating that... this is not really fair. I met Claude-Alain for a few hours, and I was impressed by his sincerity, his knowledge, and for his open-mind as regarding the experience of drinking.

USA has clothes and shoes made in China. There are many proofs of irregular employment of people and children, some even at the edge of slavery conditions, and, modern US brands are still proudly made in China anyway…. In fact, we should not support purchasing such clothes and shoes !

Alan, I really hope that I can taste this absinthe, since “citrus/mint” is really in my taste… I grew up drinking lemongrass tea….

- Marcelo

I tried some of the Butterfly last night and it wasn't bad at all. Perfectly good booze.

Cheers to good booze! :cheers:

It's easy being green with envy.

You may say that this has been discussed ad nauseam..... but I don't think you are fair in making the statement that Claude-Alain himself is behind the IGP. Show me the proofs !

Marcelo, Marcelo, Marcelo. Do you EVER do any research or at least poke around in the forums for info before trying to start an argument? There is an entire thread dedicated to the IGP topic.

How's this for proof:

According to the Association des cultivateurs d'absinthe's own website, not only is CAB a member, but he's also an officer.

PRESIDENT: Thierry Béguin

VICE-PRESIDENT: Yves Kübler

CAISSIER: Claude-Alain Bugnon

SECRETAIRE: Olivier Klauser

ASSESSEUR: Alain Rey

ASSESSEUR: Yves Currit

Considering the Association des cultivateurs d'absinthe submitted the request for the IGP, would that not mean that CAB, as a member and officer of the association, is at the forefront?

Good enough for you?

Claude-Alain might be a great guy. But that really has no bearing on the IGP proposal.

34942_422451897445_533257445_4544123_7501564_n.jpg

34942_422451912445_533257445_4544125_5632541_n.jpg

34942_422451917445_533257445_4544126_6628493_n.jpg

34942_422451922445_533257445_4544127_3863336_n.jpg

This stuff is insane in "purée" you got something strong "à la" helfrich if you water more you got minty melissa in front with sweet note of roman wormwood than a finish with licorice ... the only place I had find similar aromas was in pre-ban pernod fils ... not kidding and a very long lasting finish

Edited by EdouardPerneau

great another bloody bottle on the list to try when I win lotto and can afford to shell out the extra coin for USA brands.

anyway, it is very hard to state that a person who is the "Caissier" (Treasurer ?) is behind main politics. Can you really blame Joe Biden for any wrong decision that Barack Obama makes ? I am sorry, but I really do not like to stereotype....... such as "Americans only like hamburguers", "French drink wine every day" and "Brazilians think on sex each minute" (even though I cannot disagree too much of this last stereotype... Luscious Oily Lesbians! (I know that the forum will change my laughing).

People are people. You have good people and bad people anywhere, in USA, Germany, China, Siberia and even in Brazil. Actually, this reminds me a college professor who told me "no matter what, the percentage of SOB is the same in ANY institution, any societÿ..."

So, I am agaisnt personal blaming. We can make comments about why a group of companies (yes, distilleries are companies, with business interestes, same as NIKE, COCA-COLA or FORD). Can you blame the treasurer, himself, of NIKE for having a contract with a chinese company that exploits and slaves children, in order to have cheaper clothes ?

My problem is not the IGP. In accordance to what I understand, absinthe is the name of a weed, and has nothing to do with protecting a nice booze, which depends in how people know how to make a good booze of that weed. But, I am really upset with stereotyping. Particularly when that involves people who are good in heart.

- Marcelo

Edited by mgs

Marcelo, what a cop out. How exactly did you turn this into a 'bad vs. good people' topic? It's great that you like the guy, but you can't say that he's uninvolved. I wasn't blaming him for anything. I just mentioned the irony. But it's just like you to twist things around like this.

I don't see any stereotyping that has been done here. I didn't say he's solely responsible. But he is most certainly at the forefront, as is anyone else who is involved with the association. If he doesn't agree with the IGP proposal, then he shouldn't be an officer in the association that is responsible for proposing it in the first place.

During your conversations, did he SPECIFICALLY tell you that he was not involved, and that he does not support the IGP?

During your conversations, did he SPECIFICALLY tell you that he was not involved, and that he does not support the IGP?

Nope. For sure, we had more interesting, light, and fun conversations to entertain.....

- Marcelo