sandpedlar

Fresh berries

I have a ton of fresh picked berries right now, and I'm looking forward to picking more throughout the summer. I have marionberries, salmonberries, raspberries, and blueberries--there are also a few sala berries, and in 2 weeks or so, I'll have more blackberries than I could possibly hold.

Anyone have any tasty suggestions or tried-and-true recipes for these babies?

If I had access to all of those berries I'd do some experimentin' replacing those with lemons in a decent lemoncello recipe you dig.

Wine, mead, and cyser brewing perhaps?

I think I've come across recipes for salmonberry and marionberry jellies and jams, and I think I've seen some recipes out there for salmonberry sauce to go along with some meat dishes. I could be mistaken on that though. You could probably use a decent cranberry sauce recipe and use any or all of those berries instead of or with cranberries to make something interesting.

I bet you could find some nice sorbet recipes for them as well.

I don't know what fresh marion or salmon berries taste like, so some of these suggestions may be bad ideas.

Someone posted a link to a hello kitty martini on the end of the world thread. I suppose you could make a salmon martini with salmonberry infused vodka, gin and peach liqueur. :devil:

Baubel is on the mark. I would be filling carboys with tasty meads. Pyments and cysers flavored with those lovely berries would make you one of the most popular girls for years to come. Not saying you're not already, of course. ;)

some gluhwein recipes call for berries and the ones that don't could easily be adjusted.

I had a nice gluhwein with blackberries at last years Kiel weihnachtsmarkt, it warmed me to my toes. :cheerz:

I have salmonberries...

Yum! Brings back childhood memories of camping in the Cascades. Salmonberries are great in crepes and tartlets...yummy stuff!

Meads are a-bubbling! :thumbup:

Thanks everyone for the ideas.

Baubel, the berry limoncello sounds so good.

I'll have to look up some sauce recipes that can be put away for special dinners this winter.

Have you ever tried shrub? It is essentially sugar, fruit, and vinegar. It was an old-timey way of preserving delicate and fleeting summer berries. It works as both sweetener and acidifier in a cocktail. It was popular in the prohibition south to take it with some ice, and mabey a splash of seltzer. Here is a good one, along with some interesting cocktail recipes to go along.

http://spiritsandcocktails.wordpress.com/2...08/berry-shrub/

I second the thanks, Ian. My girlfriend has lots of blackberries and heritage blueberries growing wild at her folks' house, so this shrub idea is of interest.

Shrubs were subject of interest at Tales this year again as well. They passed around one at the Aperitif seminar that was made with cherries and sherry vinegar which then had a small amount of coffee infused as well to round out some of the tartness. Quite good.

Jay,

Teardrop regularly has a shrub or two they have made. I had recently their blood orange shrub, which got aged in French oak for soemthing like eight or nine months, and was divine. As well as their "4x4", which used four different herbs and fruits, (including blackberries, if memory serves me right.) You might be so inclined to stop by and have a try before you invest your time in making a batch.

Teardrop Lounge it is then - I'm sure the heat will hold out long enough for me to cool down with a glass or two!

This is quite late but I thought I'd add that you can freeze them (I put them individual serving size bags) and add them to green tea when steeping. I put the tea leaves in the bottom or the strainer and add the berries just before I pour the hot water. It ruptures the berries and adds wonderful flavor and color. I've used most the berries listed at once with a few pieces of frozen rhubarb added along with some dried candy mint to make a tea I call: journey to the temple.

*edit* as I reread this I saw my "individual servings" comment and thought of Phil Hartman as the anal retentive chef on SNL.