Dragon

Glad to be here

Thanks.

Package came today, and I first tried the Obsello. Too much licorice for my taste, though it did become a bit more manageable as I drunk it. I still didn't finish it though, and poured it in the sink. It could've been because I used too much water, giving it a sickly medicine type of feel.

Long hours later, I'm now sipping on the Vieux Carre, and while it smelled even more of licorice than the Obsello, and I can definitely taste the anice too, it's also a lot more to my liking. A good bit more spicy, I think, than the Obsello. Only went half half with the Vieux, and 1:4 and 1:3 on my two tries of the Obsello. So maybe less water or none at all is the key for me, even though the Vieux has a better aroma out of the bottle than the Obsello, even with the strong liquorish scent. The Obsello really did remind me of watered down cough medicine. Still, will give it many more chances. Maybe I'm just getting use to the licorice now and starting to like it.

So, I definitely liking the Vieux more and more with each sip, and can see myself always having a bottle on hand. The Obsello, I think the licorice was just unusual on my tongue, and that I used too much water, so I will try it again in the next few days with a more open mind (and taste ;) ).

Edit- Should also mention my dad loved the Obsello. He finished the second glass for me, so at least it didn't go to waste. He compared it to cough medicine and licorice too, but he enjoyed it. So maybe it's just my palette...

Edited by Dragon

Absinthe isn't for everyone. You started with a couple nice bottles though.

To some it has been an acquired taste. Sip and visit. Relax and take your time. :cheers:

Only went half half with the Vieux, and 1:4 and 1:3 on my two tries of the Obsello. So maybe less water or none at all is the key for me,

Less water? Sure! No water? Probably not.

Absinthe's high abv is not for sipping straight. You will fry your taste buds. Water also allows the herbal profile to open up.

I was aromatically satisfied (um, drunk) when I wrote that. ;) I'd already tasted it straight, and yeah, I get the point of water. :) Good news though, I think I love the taste of licorice now... More late night testing needed of course!

Edited by Dragon

Licorice root = Acquired taste. Getting past that flavor is where the passion begins. After a few drinks the overwhelming "licorice" flavor should give way to an evolution of flavors you never thought possible.

Obsello = Cilantro / Coriander

Vieux Carre = Green Tea

The licorice you speak of is anise. It is a major component of absinthe. Some are more anise forward, others more wormwood froward. I suspect the more you drink, the less and less you will think of licorice,

and within a month or two, you will even love the Obsello. Our brains and taste buds sort of re-process

these flavors over time, and begin to notice the subtler elements more and more, until a balance is struck.

The strong licorice flavors I first noticed when absinthe was brand new to me are now part of a delicate mix in the better absinthes, and I can appreciate quality anise for what it is. There are "Good n' Plenty bomb" absinthes out there, don't get me wrong, but Obsello is not one of them!

and if you like a nice spice taste on your tongue try Brevans AO spare or Eichelberger each of those is not over powered by anise and have a great spice flavour to them.

Brands with star anise seem to have more "licorice" taste. JMO

Those generally have a thicker almost muddy louche that starts with the first few drops of water. To me it's unpleasant. Again, JMO

Hiya Dragon! I myself didn't like licorice (or at least what passes as licorice candy here), but the taste of good anise seems so fresh and herbal in comparison that I was soon a convert. I think I have the difference between anise and licorice sorted out better now, but there's always more to learn with absinthe! :)