35 replies to this topic

#1 AZmadness

AZmadness

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 11:48 PM

Personally I love a good spiced rum, I think my two favorite spiced rums at the moment are Salior Jerry's and The Kraken. What rum is in the glass for you all?
We are 138!

#2 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,818 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 03:41 AM

Ron Zacapa Centenario 23 yr. is one of my go-to sipping rums, as well as Leopold's.

Some of my favorite rums however come from Renegade. Sort of the Gordon MacPhail of the rum world. Some of their stuff is astounding.

Never could get into Kraken. Hot and cloying at the same time. IMHO, of course. Everyone's tastes are different.
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#3 techdiver

techdiver

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 04:59 AM

Another rum thread? Yes, Ron Zacapa Centenario 23 yr. gets my vote as well. Which reminds me, I gotta open that bottle of Gosling's Family Reserve that I brought back from Bermuda. Kathy thought it was so expensive. I told her it was no more than a good bottle of absinthe.

#4 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,818 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 05:31 AM

I forgot there was another. I'll see if I can track it down and merge the two.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#5 techdiver

techdiver

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 06:47 AM

Starts here.

#6 AZmadness

AZmadness

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 11:14 PM

Brian is right about the rums I drink they are but then again what unaged rum isn't a hot sort of warm your bones sort of drink. I don't know that much about rum I just enjoy it quite a bit. I got to try some of the fancier ones. Anyone know of a good black style rum?
We are 138!

#7 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,818 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 03:10 AM

I might know of one... :devil:

Attached File  image_00025.jpg   70.86KB   8 downloads

No, but seriously, the Zacapa I mention above is one of my favorite dark rums.

For a cheaper, everyday drinker, Goslings Black Seal aint a bad choice. Especially if you get some ginger beer too.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#8 AiO

AiO

Movie Freak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 04:37 AM

The Zacapa is very good.

If you're looking for something a little less pricey, I like Coruba and Appleton Extra (12-year)--both Jamaican dark rums.
"Life is a tragedy when seen in close-up, but a comedy in long-shot" -- Charlie Chaplin

#9 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,818 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 05:01 AM

If you haven't yet tried the Leopold rum, you really should. Even though it's not a 'dark' rum, I was amazed at how similar the nose was between Leopold's and the vintage rum pictured above.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#10 leopold

leopold

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 06:55 AM

Appreciate the plug, Brian, but outside of a few bottles scattered in CA and CO, that Rum is long gone.

#11 brennivin

brennivin

• PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 06:57 AM

Definitely a Sailor Jerry fan myself. I was excited about the Kraken, but ultimately I find it only 'ok' on it's own. For spiced rum though, my favorite, which I can't find anymore, is Kilo Kai. Fantastic stuff.

For non-spiced - my 'staple' cocktail rum is a simple Cruzan. For sip or rocks purposes, I like Pyrat or 10 Cane.

For dark/black - Goslings Black Seal

#12 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,818 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 07:40 AM

Appreciate the plug, Brian, but outside of a few bottles scattered in CA and CO, that Rum is long gone.

Any more coming in the pipeline, or is it mainly whiskey from now on? Not that I'd be complaining. :devil:

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#13 leopold

leopold

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 08:21 AM

Nope, no rum for a while.

Rum is a tough sell. There's so much great rum out there for less than $25 a bottle that it's tough to compete.

Plus, molasses fermentations wreak havoc on the still. Man, I hate that stuff!

#14 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,818 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 08:26 AM

Looks like I might need to go on a search for a few more bottles to stash away. Cali and CO you say?

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#15 ignis

ignis

• PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 03:20 PM

If your looking for some top class rum look at middle to northern Germany. I know it may seem strange but do a little research and you'll see why.
"I just want silence. Jesus, it doesn't mean I don't like you. It just means right now, I like silence more."

#16 AZmadness

AZmadness

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 09:26 AM

Thanks everyone I got to start taking notes to get some good rums. The Goslings Black seal rum sounded but you never know till you buy a bottle. I got to try it soon.
We are 138!

#17 Jay

Jay

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 02:35 PM

My two faves for sipping are Diplomatica Reserva Exclusiva (as found here at DUNY) when I have the $35, and Old Mill rum when I have only have half that. For mixing drinks, I still like Sailor Jerry's for the spicy kick, and Admiral Nelson's for smooth vanilla flavor (and very cheap price).

My only experience with dark rum was with Goslings, and I wasn't a fan, even with ginger to make a Dark & Stormy.

#18 seeker of truth

seeker of truth

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 03:54 PM

The Krakken bottle looks neat and has a cool name, but that is enough reason for me to stay away from it. Not that I'm all that rum savvy, but aren't Sailor Jerry and Admiral Nelson just cheap imitations of Captain Morgan?
I talk like a drunk man walks, in every which way but where he is headed.

#19 Jay

Jay

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 05:53 PM

To me, Kraken tasted like a cross between dark rum and gold rum. It wasn't bad, but it didn't impress me, either.

Sailor Jerry's is a spiced rum like Captain Morgan's, but I personally find it to be notably superior in mixed drinks (you really don't want to try Jerry's as a sipping rum unless your the Alien in a Ridley Scott movie). Admiral Nelson's is certainly cheap (about $10 a bottle), and if you're looking for a true spiced rum then skip it - it's so smooth that it would be considered fairly weak (and the ABV is only 35%). However, in certain mixed drinks, it's very tasty and won't make you feel bad about using it as a mixer.

#20 jcbphd

jcbphd

Hooch Essence

• Advisory Board
  • 3,975 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 06:13 PM

To me Sailor Jerry has more of a cherry note to the spice, while Admiral Nelson has a vanilla note. I prefer both to Captain Morgan, and it doesn't hurt that both are less expensive.
Temperance, like chastity, is its own punishment. ~Four Vines "The Peasant"

Ça descend la gorge comme le bébé Jésus en culottes de velours.

You may be deceived if you trust too much, but you will live in torment if you do not trust enough. ~Frank Crane

#21 Zman (Marc Bernhard)

Zman (Marc Bernhard)

Really Advanced Member

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,525 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 06:48 PM

My fave rum is Barbancourt 8 Year. An excellent aged rhum agricole at a Bacardi price.

If you don't like anise at all, you're not likely to care for any decent absinthe, as absinthe is an anise flavored drink. It's kind of like asking if there are any good beers that don't taste like hops or malt.----Hiram

Marc Bernhard, owner and Master Distiller of Pacific Distillery LLC
Maker of Pacifique Absinthe and Voyager Single Batch Distilled Gin
Woodinville, WA, USA
www.pacificdistillery.com

#22 leopold

leopold

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 06:53 PM

+1

That stuff is ridiculous, and ridiculously cheap.

#23 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,716 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 06:59 PM

+2

What they said.

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#24 Bob Tessier

Bob Tessier

WS token Canuck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 04:58 AM

+3

I don't normally do the "Me too!" thing, but, Me too!
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

#25 techdiver

techdiver

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 02:06 PM

All this talk about rum led me to order some, and I managed to stay away from the temptation of ordering some of those high priced Renegade Rums that had raised my curiosity. I always have favored El Dorado ever since a salesman in San Juan talked me into buying a 5 y.o. that I don't think is produced any more. So, since I didn't have the 12 y.o. yet I ordered that and the 12 y.o. Flor de Cana for comparison, along with a bottle of Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva. Maybe I'll finally get around to opening the bottle of Vizcaya VXOP that's been sitting around glaring at me. Time for some afternoon cigars and old rum.

Edited by techdiver, 13 July 2010 - 02:07 PM.

#26 Jay

Jay

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 02:47 PM

Wow, a hat trick of Barbancourt fans (and one to spare) - I know what my next rum will be! Of course, I just bought a bottle of Tommy Bahama a couple of days ago (the fact that I've never had it, and my local store had it at $10 off sealed the deal), so explaining to my girlfriend another purchase so soon will be hard. Scratch that - REALLY hard, since she just emailed me to say she's going dry for a month or two to see if that helps her with some stomach issues she's been having.

I might have to have my DUNY shipment sent hush-hush to someone else's house. Any takers?

Of course, I trust you all completely to not pilfer from my stash ;)

#27 jcbphd

jcbphd

Hooch Essence

• Advisory Board
  • 3,975 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 06:50 PM

+3

Moi aussi. I stumbled onto it at the grocery store many years ago when looking for some rum to use in a donut bread pudding recipe and never looked back.
Temperance, like chastity, is its own punishment. ~Four Vines "The Peasant"

Ça descend la gorge comme le bébé Jésus en culottes de velours.

You may be deceived if you trust too much, but you will live in torment if you do not trust enough. ~Frank Crane

#28 AiO

AiO

Movie Freak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 04:46 AM

The Barbancourt 8 year is very good stuff, though I prefer Clement VSOP by a hair as an aged rhum agricole.

I'm also totally bummed that the Lemon Hart 80 and 151 demerara rums appear to be--at least temporarily--off the market. Here's hoping that these essential tiki mixers are back soon!
"Life is a tragedy when seen in close-up, but a comedy in long-shot" -- Charlie Chaplin

#29 Bob Tessier

Bob Tessier

WS token Canuck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 06:18 AM

.... since I didn't have the 12 y.o. yet I ordered that and the 12 y.o. Flor de Cana for comparison, ....

FDC 12 yr is one of my staple sippers, I absolutely love it.
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

#30 AZmadness

AZmadness

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 06:03 PM

I will say this the Captain Morgan is a cheaper start on spiced rums. I really enjoy Saliors much better than Capts, plus it has more flavor and kick than the Morgan. Furthermore I will say that Capt Morgan isn't terrible. I will say that Saliors is very rough on the rocks but it isn't terrible.
We are 138!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association