Trauma_Hound

My first absinthe purchase!

As I mentioned in my intro thread, I just turned 21 and am about to buy my first absinthe. I think I'm set on getting one of Rue Verte's Absinthexplore sets. I figure it's a good way to get to try a variety of absinthes before buying a full bottle of something I might not even like.

How does this lineup look for a beginner like myself? In other words, are these "beginner friendly?"

1. La Clandestine (can't decide between original and wine alcohol)

2. Mansinthe

3. Duplais Verte

Buh dum bum!

Okay, edit, seeing Duplais Verte in the list makes me thirsty for Duplais Verte :D

I'll be on the booze by the end of this week.

There are a wealth of good people here. Good at stealing your absinthe, your car, your dog but they give good advice, too. Duplais Verte is a fantastic first step. Mansinthe (brought to you by the fine folks that also brought you Duplais) is highly regarded by those that taste beyond the hype of Marilyn. Absinthe politics prevent more than a few people from endorsing Clandestine although there is no question it is of the highest quality.

Good people here. Passionate, crazy, creative and smart.

And that's just Scott.

There is little to choose between these. The wine alcohol base gives a slightly more rounded mouth feel. Either way, your first three will get you off to a great start and Antoine's tubes are a very cost-effective way to discover lots of absinthes. Some people here would have been spared some expensive mistakes had Antoine been offering this service a few years ago.

Some people here would have been spared some expensive mistakes had Antoine been offering this service a few years ago

Very expensive mistakes to a working man or student.

Absinthe politics prevent more than a few people from endorsing Clandestine although there is no question it is of the highest quality.

When I first read this I wasn't sure what you were talking about... but I just finished reading this thread. I assume this is the situation you were referring to. I had no idea this was going on. I'm thinking now I might opt for the Blanchette, or Duplais Blanche, in place of the Clandestine. It's not much, of course, just a matter more of principle than anything else.

I'd go with the Blanchette out of those three options even if politics weren't a factor.

Smart dog. :thumbup:

I'd go with the Blanchette out of those three options even if politics weren't a factor.

Very sage. For what it's worth, I like CLB. I'm just not buying unfortunately.

You'll end up with all of them in time anyway.

Fact.

If you're going to get a blanche I would recommend Clandestine. Blanchette is an excellent absinthe but I think it might be a bit much for beginners palette. I didn't really like my fist glass of Blanchette, it took a few more for me to get hooked, whereas Clandestine is awesome whether or not its your first sip or your last.

I swear the more you talk about the different sorts of absinthes there are the more things become difficult to decide which one you want to start off w/. However Truama Hound if I get a bottle of Mansinthe any time soon I will let you know if it is worth the money.

Never mind experimenting with those little vials. Just buy a bottle and drink. If you don't like it, send it to Absomphe.

Absomphe, suggest an absinthe just in case.

If you can afford it after satisfying my request, screw all those skeptics who claim Santa ain't the real deal.

How does this lineup look for a beginner like myself? In other words, are these "beginner friendly?"

2. Mansinthe

3. Duplais Verte

I don't know Mansinthe, but I do know La Clandestine and Duplais Verte. I prefer La Clandestine. I tried one two weeks ago that I really enjoyed a lot "Roquette 1797"....

I don't have experience to compare with others, I just go by my taste..... good luck !

- Marcelo

I believe that is also from Pontarlier, isn't ? I am very close to Pontarlier, and today I just drove back in forth to Grenoble passing through Pontalier. I saw Doubs in a store, it is a beautiful bottle, but I did not try it yet....I was not sure about it.....

I am here in France for only 4 more weeks, and I already bought too much booze that I don't even know how I will get them to USA !!!!

Cheers,

- Marcelo

Vacation or work?

As for Doubs, there are two specific brands. The Doubs Mystique is the one I'm talking about. It's got a great Pontarlier wormwood profile.