Sign in to follow this  
Wayek

I'm Depressed

My vintage east glass is sadly no more!

I'm pretty surprised that it broke like that just from getting kicked over on a carpet

and where am I going to find another glass like this one?!?

is there any way to fix it?

this is really bumming me out :(

broke001.jpg

oh by the way, how is everyone doing? :wave2:

I'm sorry for your loss, Wayek :thumbdown:

While I tend to be in Marcelo's "a glass is just a glass" camp, that's largely because my girlfriend and I both tend to have 'dropsy' when it comes to glasses and dishes (the breakages tend to occur while washing, but it can happen anytime), and I don't let myself get emotionally attached to breakables.

My guess is that something superglue-ish would be your best bet for making the glass at least usable. I think the idea that a vintage glass somehow makes your drink taste better is bogus, but vintage can definitely be fun for the "time-travel" principle, and that's definitely a wonderful-looking glass you have there - I hope you find a way to restore it!

I think your glass could easily be repaired by a good glassblower. It may not have the same worth as an antique but if it's your favorite drinking glass, it can still be of service to you. Check the 'net or the phone book for a good glassblower or glass artist. If that doesn't work, make a call to the nearest University Art Department. Failing that, you could use a good glass epoxy but I'd opt for an artist's repair. If I tried using glue, I'd end up with a glass glued to my forehead.

Oh, Welcome back. It's good to see you again. :cheers:

better break a glass than your leg.

Not in Joe's theatrical world. :laugh:

Sorry for your loss, Wayek.

Hopefully, you'll find an even nicer replacement. :cheers:

Me too Wayek, it isn't just a glass, it's something that had meaning to you, and survived a very long time to be brought back to use a century later. To a romantic, this kind of thing can be painful, no shame in that...

It is a sign of a poetic soul.

Joe sir, you are brilliant, and correct...great idea, and my two broken etched egg glasses may just have a chance to be merged into one that works now due to your thought!

come on.... just a glass.

better break a glass than your leg.

- Marcelo

ummm, it was pretty expensive for just a glass

I also had to wait 4 months for it to get shipped out of canadian customs so I originally thought it was either lost in the mail or it was never coming to begin with (ripped off)

Sorry for your loss!

That would be cool if you find a way to fix it.

Sorry for the loss of a favorite glass, I have found that a glass is not just a glass. Modern reproduction glasses are just a means to an end and for me feel that way in my hand. The antiques have a weight and "feel" that can be comforting. Check in with Marc's antique site, museeabsinthe.com or sbmac here, he has been posting fine antique glassware here also. Cheer up, you could find something you enjoy using even more :wave2:

^ I'm looking into getting it repaired professionally .. thank you for the advice everyone!

I might be able to find a glassblower when I am in Toronto or Quebec later this month

I was wondering if you were still coming to Quebec. Any chance you might be passing through Montreal?

^

I might be getting in touch with you as well

Edited by Wayek

What are the dates? We're planning on having another absinthe tasting in July. We haven't set a date yet but maybe it could coincide with your visit :)

What are the dates? We're planning on having another absinthe tasting in July. We haven't set a date yet but maybe it could coincide with your visit :)

ummm, I know I gotta in Vermont for the brewers fest on the 16th then I'll be in Quebec city on the 18th 19th and 20th 21st I'll be in Montreal

Edited by Wayek

Here you go, this guy does AMAZING UV glass repair. REALLY affordable too!

http://www.paulmnulton.com/index.html

I'm happy again now. :thumbup:

PMS (private message sent)

The problem is that I have zero absinthe and I doubt my order will arrive in time before I leave on the 16th

probably gonna scoop up some Kübler Taboo or LCB....

by the way... what SAQ can I find those at?

Edited by Wayek

Get it fixed fast, I'm not cool enough to get an antique glass. I have decided to go with wine glasses like the French used before the advent of such fancy absinthe glasses. However not to sound cold that is a crying shame!

I'm sorry.

Hey, you could always have one last drink in it and upon finishing the last sip smash it in the fireplace.

Here you go, this guy does AMAZING UV glass repair. REALLY affordable too!

http://www.paulmnulton.com/index.html

I'm happy again now. :thumbup:

PMS (private message sent)

The problem is that I have zero absinthe and I doubt my order will arrive in time before I leave on the 16th

probably gonna scoop up some Kübler Taboo or LCB....

by the way... what SAQ can I find those at?

You don't have to bring any absinthe, you just have to taste and have a good time.

No problem picking up Taboo and Kübler from SAQ but if you want to pick up Clandestine I would suggest Premierwineandspirits.com , its cheaper even with shipping, they are amazing, no hassle since it ships in Canada, arrives in less than 2 weeks. The SAQ sells CLB for $90.25!!!