Alan Moss

Absinthe in a can?

ok, I understand that in a Wormwood Society you want to keep the "traditional values" of drinking absinthe.... but La Belle Epoque is over...... is there any problem to have a new drink such as "absinthe in a can" ? Maybe it is better than Coca Cola !!!!! Actually, I only started to like Coca Cola after they introduced Coca Zero..... but I think that US Market does not have the Coca Zero..... they don't know what they are missing.......

cheers,

- Marcelo

Marcelo, it's not about the Belle Epoque. It's about not bastardizing the spirit. Would you drink Dom Perignon Cola? Lemon-Lime Bordeaux? Islay Malt Ginger Beer?

It's about not taking something good, and then fucking it up, putting it in a can, and then cashing in on kids who don't know any better.

And LTV are twats.

Edit: Imho.

is there any problem to have a new drink such as "absinthe in a can" ?
Before you start the nitpicking, maybe you should do some research.

LTV isn't absinthe. Neither is this.

LTV works to propagate myths that go against the true history of absinthe.

LTV has a long, irritating, and disingenuous history with the WS.

So read up.

but I think that US Market does not have the Coca Zero.....

Yes. Yes we do.

At least they're not calling it absinthe. Yes, "absine" is obviously alluding to what they'd like people to think of it as, but it's not so close to the name (as "absinth" is) for me to personally feel the need to do anything more than shake my head at how bad it probably tastes. Having surreptitiously sipped some absinthe out of a paper snowcone cup, I can tell you that anything less than a louched glass of true absinthe just won't be nearly as good...

Well if they can leave out the "th" from absine why don't they change the "a" to an "o" ;) .

But on a serious note, can someone briefly explain why the TTB won't define absinthe ? And would the true enthusiasts be benefited by such definition?

Buh dum bum. He'll be here all week, ladies and gentlemen! Try the veal. And remember to tip your waitress.

I've had a couple absinthe beers that are good, there's quite a few of them here in Quebec. My favorite was the Absinthe Stout from Brasseurs De Montreal, flavored with real herbs, does not come in a can. I understand that its different in this case though because its LTV again using the name absinthe to sell a most likely way inferior product.

Keep in mind these are the same people who made Sparxx and sold it to Miller for a cool couple of hundred million, which they then in turn plowed into a cheap absinthe kockoff, hoping to sell it to the highest bidder once it 'made it'. I'm guessing this stuff will taste very similar to Sparxx does/did, just in other fruit flavors.

But on a serious note, can someone briefly explain why the TTB won't define absinthe ?
Because it takes a lot of leg work, that they don't want to do themselves, and because no one else *ahem* has presented them with a definition that would be suitable, and easy to pass without much objection.

And would the true enthusiasts be benefited by such definition?

Less the enthusiast than the newbie. The idea behind the definition is to give a standardization of the term absinthe. Everyone who goes into a liquor store to buy tequila, knows what the general flavor profile will be. Even though there are wide variations in taste experience, they all carry the same base flavor. Same with Scotch, Gin, Bourbon, Rye, etc.

With absinthe, not only would a novice not know if he/she is technically buying a liquor or a liqueur right now, they wouldn't even know what flavor to expect. Some, like LTV, Green Fairy, Koruna, etc don't taste anything like traditional absinthe. Others, like Fenom and Green Moon, carry absolutely no characteristics of absinthe (no louche, very little flavor). Enthusiasts such as ourselves have the knowledge and the educational resources that will allow us to sidestep those bad experiences. Newbies don't have that yet. Hence the reason we're working on the smartphone app (what's going on with that anyway?) and the forthcoming educational tools.

There is always room for low quality brands. Only an idealist would think that any definition would exclude the possibility of lower quality absinthe hitting the shelves. But if you buy Bankers Club gin, or Clan MacGregor Scotch, you still know what it's going to taste like.

At least they're not calling it absinthe. Yes, "absine" is obviously alluding to what they'd like people to think of it as

Is "absinine" a word? If not, let's coin it as an adjective for use when describing LTV and it's marketing.

Keep in mind these are the same people who made Sparxx and sold it to Miller for a cool couple of hundred million, which they then in turn plowed into a cheap absinthe kockoff, hoping to sell it to the highest bidder once it 'made it'. I'm guessing this stuff will taste very similar to Sparxx does/did, just in other fruit flavors.

Just when you thought it was safe to go to 7-Eleven, LTV jumps the shark.

...they then in turn plowed into a cheap absinthe kockoff, ...

I'm digging this turn of phrase, "Cheap Absinthe Kockoff." Maybe a replacement to Czechsinth?

I noticed a link to "Chardonnay Flavored Vodka" on the same page. Can't say I am impressed by that one either ....

.5 ounces vodka

7 ounces Chardonnay

Puke In The Afternoon.

Sheesh.

Must I think of everything?

Sigh. I know people who drink that swill. Looks like Mountain Dew, tastes and smells like what it is, malt liquor and energy. I imagine this Obsine-Canned-Bad tastes like lemon juice, malt liquour and wormwood. I wonder if they'll put a whole sprig in the can or just a few leaves. Obsine Gold and Platnium. Bam!

Sheesh. Must I think of everything?

:puke:

:puke:

Yup.