protobri

Found a deal... I think

I stopped at my local liquor store on the way home from work last night. I was curious if they had added anything new. Sadly, nothing has changed. Right now the only label they carry is Lucid. What surprised me was how much they are selling it for. They are selling Lucid for $49 a bottle. I understand that lucid may not have the highest ratings, but that seems to be a pretty good price. I've had a few other brands, but all of them are at least $20 more. I guess my question would be, is the money savings worth the flavor sacrifice?

I'd take a $50 bottle of Lucid over an empty shelf any day. Or if you're able to, hold off until you've got a little more loose change and then order one each of Obsello or Vieux Carre from DUNY for the free shipping?

That's a pretty subjective question but I'd agree with Ron. When better stuff was only available with expensive overseas shipping, I did drink my share of Lucid. But with DUNY offering better marques and that free shipping over $99, I'd save up and go that route.

Edited by Green Baron

That's pretty much what I was thinking. Right now it's all about exploring the different flavor profiles of the different brands. I've already been down the Lucid road, but was attracted by the low price. No sense settling for one, just to have something on the shelf, when the next new flavor is just a few dollars more. thanks for the input. :cheers:

you live in N.Y., save some more coin and try Walton Waters from Delaware-Phoenix Distillery, great stuff. Use either Astor wines or Catskill Cellars or check out the website and see if any retailers are within driving distance. Nothing better than local brew. :cheers:

the closest I can find it for you is in Vestal N.Y., Vestal wine & liquor call first on availability if you are going to drive otherwise stick with the mail orders that I already gave you :wave2:

save some more coin and try Walton Waters from Delaware-Phoenix

The DP absinthes are fine absinthes, to be sure, but at $75 per bottle (or $75 plus shipping), they are nowhere near the ~$50 range he was looking for cost/taste ratio! I mean, I definitely don't mean to speak for him, but his thread here seemed to be looking for a good deal, not so much the top shelf absinthes. A lot of folks here have to make a pretty concerted effort to save for their absinthe! Also, the Vieux Carre is about as local to him as the DP absinthe are :cheers:

A bottle of Lucid lying around is not a bad thing, if for no reason other than to have something to serve to the nouveau-curious. It'll keep them from chewing up your prized stuff. And I still contend that it is one to know. If you know it, buy something else. But if you don't, the debt of gratitude you (and all absinthe drinkers) owe it, calls for you to try it once, at least.

Back when I was getting into absinthe, Lucid was all there was, and I drank plenty of it. It actually got better each bottle I got, perhaps, due to improvements with each batch. I found a bottle for around $60 maybe a year and a half ago, and I decided its going to sit in my cellar for years and years to come. So much to sample now, especially with DP's offerings, and Pacifique and VC, as well as many others... I can easily resist opening the Lucid, so I'm looking forward to sampling it a long time from now.

If I find what I consider to be a good "second-shelf" absinthe at an attractive price, I pick it up and save it for those nights when I want two or three glasses of absinthe. Save it for the second or third drink, and that way you'll get to enjoy the amount of absinthe you want while reserving more of the top-shelf absinthe to enjoy later. (Second-shelf absinthes also make good choices for cooking with).

Of course, it doesn't matter if the bottle was free if you simply don't like it at all, so stick to things that are at least decent. Personally, I find Lucid to be decent and drinkable, and for $39 I'd probably pick up a bottle as a second-shelf choice.