Jack Griffin

Some absinthe gear from Sbmac

I just scored a bunch of topettes in the last day, and had a dose of maturity (yes dose) and realize I don't need them all. I'll be posting them on Ebay for a very fair price, and wanted you to know. I'd rather my friends here have a shot first! There's a nice 3 dose, and a cool 1930s Uranium glass that works well for absinthe and really freaking glows!

PM me if you'd like to see the stuff! I'm going to thin out doubles of some of the antique stuff I bought. I have 6 etched antique egg glasses going up in a week or so once I have the time to post. I just don't have room for all this stuff, and want to let you know it's there and real, and fairly priced. Free shipping too.

-Scott

Hey Rob, I didn't know it was ok to do that until after...

Perhaps that's what I'll do with the rest of the stuff. I didn't want to take away from any of the guys who do this for a living, but I guess it's here for a reason.

Next week or two I'll post a few things here first for a few days, if nobody wants the stuff, then I'll ebay it!

Thanks for your help getting that package re-routed to me BTW!

Edit: Here's a link to the topette Clean, damage-free and includes shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...5#ht_500wt_1154

Hey Rob, I didn't know it was ok to do that until after...

Perhaps that's what I'll do with the rest of the stuff. I didn't want to take away from any of the guys who do this for a living, but I guess it's here for a reason.

Next week or two I'll post a few things here first for a few days, if nobody wants the stuff, then I'll ebay it!

Thanks for your help getting that package re-routed to me BTW!

Edit: Here's a link to the topette Clean, damage-free and includes shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...5#ht_500wt_1154

:thumbup:

Here's a pretty cool 1930s uranium glass I put up. I have two, only need one! The horizontal bands can serve as dose lines. (see photo #1 on auction page) Not a trad or even actual absinthe glass, but looks cool, and works nicely for absinthe. Glows like a mother under black light, even in a lit room!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...T#ht_500wt_1154

Uranium-glass2.jpg

The rest of the gear I'll be selling off is actual late 19th century-1910 or so absinthe topettes and glasses. I may have one or two non-trad uranium pieces like the glass above for folks who don't care it if's genuine absinthe accessories or not. I figured a cool non-absinthe piece that can be utilized for absinthe might be something someone wants. Sorry if this insults the purists!

I have 5 of these French 1/2 dose-sized antique Ecaille glasses, and 3 are looking for a home!

They are late 19th century, and have the tell-tale faint green glow under black light. These are HALF the size of a standard Ecaille, as you can see in the photo next to a repro. These are heavy thick glass, and lovely. No damage or flaws. Perfect. At 15 ml (1/2 dose), they easily go 3:1 and just make 4:1 if you need them to.

These are great for sampling with friends when you don't want a full glass! PM me, these aren't expensive, and I wanted my pals here to have first shot before I EBAY them. I prefer to sell all three to one person (trust me, it's a good deal.)

Scott

Edit: These have been spoken for by a WS member, enjoy!

SmallEcaille1.jpg

I like ya' sbmac, but don't you feel it's a little misleading/dishonest to list those glasses on ebay with a connection to absinthe where there is none? I know you're not saying that they are absinthe glasses, but a wine glass can make a good absinthe glass as well, but you don't see people listing them as great absinthe glasses.

Maybe I'm just being too nitpicky, as I know you're far from the only one who does it, but most of those other vendors only care about money (not absinthe) and they think that by making a connection to absinthe when there isn't one, they'll get more money for their item.

Edited by Phoenix

Wow phoenix...that's a bit of a bite in the ass! If you feel that way, A PM would be a hell of a lot more polite! I got these from someone in France, and was told this is what they were. I ALSO had a conversation with Marc, not about these specific glasses (but I DID send him photos today and welcome his input) about 1/2 sized glasses that were used in bistros. I have a topette that matches in the half-sized doses. He told me there WERE half-sized glasses made back in the day and used in bistros for servings half the size and price. He said they were called "mominettes".

This is what I was told, the person I got these from said they were small absinthe glasses, so that is what I said. If you know for certain otherwise, I'd love to know, but to imply I'm being dishonest and misleading is an insult, and you crossed a line by jumping to that conclusion. :poop: You've never been anything but cool with me, so I'll let it slide, and toss one back with you one day like it never happened.

I NEVER mislead or do ANYTHING dishonest, If I'm wrong, (and I'm happy to see proof of that) then it was I WHO WAS MISLEAD. There is a difference. If any of you guys know for certain, please let me know!

I do have half a dozen nice etched antique egg glasses as well, with dose lines that I'll be posting in a week or two, along with a couple nice topettes. Once I move my extra out, I'll be done with all that!

Are you talking about these little guys in my last post, the mini-ecailles, or the two on EBAY?

Because if you ARE talking about the ebay ones, my post above was based on my assupmtion that you were talking about the 1/2 dose ecailles! I think now you are referring to the two NON-absinthe glasses that I put on Ebay.

As far as those EBAY ones, I CLEARLY state that they are not real absinthe glasses, putting even "cocktail glass" in the title on one, and "goblet" in the title on the other! WTF Phoenix? People who like absinthe often like uranium glass. THAT'S why I mentioned they're cool for absinthe in the auctions. I was honest and clear about the fact that they are not absinthe glasses...you even said it yourself " I know you're not saying that they are absinthe glasses" so what's the problem? I have 12 years on EBAY with 100% PERFECT feedback and over 400 transactions. That would not be the case if I misled people or was dishonest. I even say it above with that goblet a few posts up (this is one of the glasses on Ebay) "Not a trad or even actual absinthe glass, but looks cool, and works nicely for absinthe."

Don't get too worked up, sbmac. I'm not on a personal crusade against you. It's just that I see auctions like this on ebay fairly frequently and they all drive me nuts. I figured because you are a cool guy that you may help me to understand your motivations. It's also totally possible that I'm just being too anal.

To be clear, are you saying that when you bought the two glasses you are selling on ebay, that they were listed as absinthe glasses?

Edited by Phoenix

As far as the mini ecaille glasses go, I'd be surprised to learn that they have any historical connection with absinthe. From what I remember reading, the regular sized ecaille glasses aren't actually absinthe glasses. There are, however, tons of places where one can find the repro listed as an absinthe glass, so it's easy to understand why the connection would be made with the minis.

My concern only came in wondering why there was a desire to link the two glasses you currently have on ebay to absinthe when there isn't a connection, which you answered with:

People who like absinthe often like uranium glass. THAT'S why I mentioned they're cool for absinthe in the auctions.

For the record, I don't think you have bad intentions. I do, however, think that there are some vendors on ebay who intentionally make their items show up when searching for "absinthe" in an attempt to get a premium price for a not so premium item. It's those vendors and listings that are a pet peeve of mine. It's also possible that I'm nitpicking too much.

Edited by Phoenix

I understand completely. Just realize I care about all you guys, consider you friends, and this is about stuff I love, not money! I'm simply trying to clear out some things.

Regarding those half-sized ecaille glasses, Marc did e-mail me back, and has no proof either way whether these were used for absinthe, but says they are real, and that he has seen them. They are 19th century, and from a French bistro.

I think they're cool, and worth more than I'm looking to get. Absinthe Devil has repros of these on their site listed as absinthe glasses, as do other vendors. I am not claiming to be a historian!

EDIT: half-size ecaille glasses spoken for by a WS member, thanks! Enjoy!

Here's a really nice clean 6 dose topette with the original tight fitting top in perfect condition. I'd love to see someone here take this than a stranger.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...T#ht_500wt_1146

I also still have the nice little 3 dose with no top. I'm going to relist it in a week or two, but if anyone here wants it here for $45 including shipping, say the word! ( Taken by a WS member.)

I'm almost done with selling stuff off. These antique egg glasses are wonderful. Heavy, thick and engraved with a dose line. The next line above is exactly 4:1. Perfect condition, and I'm offering a set of 4, which is really rare. I hate to break up the set, and I'm holding off on EBAY as I'd rather offer them to my friends here first. PM me. One of you is interested in two...all I can say is it would be a shame to break it up! I have 6, but want to keep 2 of them! They are the real thing, glowing faintly green under a black light. I'll give it a few days and see what you guys say!

PM me for details. Best, Scott

etchedEggGlassSet.jpg

Regarding the etched egg glasses above:

There have been several of you who've asked if I'd sell these in pairs, and the answer is yes.

That was fast, all gone. Thanks WS friends, enjoy the glasses!

I wanted to add that sbmac was excellent to deal with..the egg glasses were "Exactly what was displayed' and I am very happy with the two I purchased...Very pleased...Always a pleasure..

:cheers:

I need to help pay for the monster topette I bought from Aggelos, so here's 4 near mint

Les Feuilles #1 spoons, hallmarked, in lustrous lovely condition. VERY fairly priced for my WS pals.

PM me for details. I'm selling these as a set. Less than you think too..... The backs are just as clean.

The second photo are two Les Feuilles #10 spoons, nickel plated brass. Clean and shiny, just a tad of the brass peeking thru in a few spots. No peeling or loose plating. Quite nice! Also priced to move!

ALL TAKEN, THANKS ROB AND JAY!

feuille1front.jpg

feuille10.jpg

Yeah Brian, that's for sure. What happened was almost 6 weeks ago, I busted up my ribcage pretty badly in a mountain biking accident, and could barely work until just this past week or so. I pretty much lived on

the computer researching and hunting down cool stuff, all over the world...euro ebay, Swiss and French antique stores with websites, etc...to build my collection. I have a couple friends who I've introduced to absinthe who bought some of the stuff too. Buy 3, keep 1, buy 6 keep 2...that kind of thing. It made it more affordable for me to build up, and spread the items around as well... Things that might not otherwise have found their way to the States. My parents ran a successful antique biz on a very high level for years, and I picked up a few pointers on how things are done. It is a lot of work communicating in several languages on the internet when money is changing hands, and delicates are being shipped overseas. I have a profound respect for people like David-Nathan and Marc, who do this for a living, and manage to treat everyone honesty and with integrity.

I wound up with tons of things for very good prices, getting duplicates and even higher numbers of some things like glasses, spoons, and topettes. Marc at La Musee has been very helpful, as have a couple other guys on this forum who are high-up in the absinthe world. Now that I'm healed up, I've only these spoons, one small topette, and two exquisite egg glasses left to find homes for, then I'm pretty much done! One of my goals was to build up a nice collection to put on display (and even to use some of it) at the October event in the Catskills. Some of this gear spread out on a table at the Victorian B&B will be really pretty and help set a mood. I want the event to be special, and thought this would help.

Hope to meet you in person sometime!

Just letting you all know that I recieved sbmac's leaf spoons today and they are exactly as described, very pleased with them. Being a metal finisher for the last 33yrs. it will be a pleasure bringing them back to all their glory, maybe in 24k gold ? or just restore the original nickel sulfamate finish.

Hi Rob, I would urge you to leave them as they are, there is no reason to re-plate them! I know you are in the plating biz, but making them look 100% new would ruin their spirit! The subtle breath of time of the minor hints of brass peaking thru are a testimony to what they are and when they are from! They are lustrous and lovely as they are! Glad you're happy, just asking you to think about it before making them look like new repros! IMHO it would ruin them...The age and spirit of old things matters to me!

your friend , Scott

I'm with you Rob, though I can respect sbmac's sentiment. Those spoons aren't rare, and you can get them for less then what the reproductions cost. If you'll enjoy them more restored, I say go for it.

Now, if Aggelos started talking about replating the spoon he recently posted pictures of, then I'd probably have a heart attack.

Edited by Phoenix