Sign in to follow this  
protobri

Curious about La Muse

I've had a few different brands of absinthe so far. They include; Kübler, Lucid, Mansinthe, VC and La Muse Verte. I looked in the review section before purchasing La Muse. There were only a couple of reviews, but they were good ones. After tasting it, I am surprised that I don't hear more about it as I found it to be quite good. The local liquor store keeps a couple cases on hand, but I think I'm the only one buying it. Absinthe is still pretty unknown here in western NY. Anybody have any experience with La Muse?

As I recall (it's been quite a few years), La Muse Verte was a very quirky absinthe. It's certainly the best example I've ever tasted of a macerated absinthe, and I remember it being somewhat herbally medicinal, very dry, and slightly bitter. It's certainly not one I would purchase, especially given the fine selection available these days, but it was entertaining enough during the early part of the decade, when the selection was far more meager.

The first glass I prepared with no sugar and it had a bit of a medicinal taste. It was a little dry, but I didn't think it was overly bitter. I used 1 sugar cube for the second glass and that seemed to smooth it right out. I had a few glasses over a couple weeks with different water and sugar ratios. All in all, I didn't think it was bad.

It isn't, unless one compares it to indigenous vertes such as Pacifique, Meadow of Love, and Walton Waters, or Euro offerings like Vieux Pontarlier, and Belle Amie, among various others. As I said, it's the best example of a macerated absinthe available, but it lacks the roundness and finesse of the better distilled examples.

Oh, ok. I'm with you now. As of yet I haven't had any of the ones you listed. So far I've only tried what is available locally. Looks like it's time to start ordering online. Thanks for the input.

I've actually been thinking about La Muse lately. I remember it tasting pretty good actually but that was probably the 3rd absinthe I tasted and that was two years ago. Maybe a little heavy on the lemon balm. I'll need to pick some up and post a review. Perfect excuse to buy more bottles.