Sign in to follow this  
Jack Griffin

Uranium and Vaseline glass

I didn't see a thread about this here, and though it worthy. My black light died, but will post some photos in the next week.

Question, is there a difference in designation/value between the stuff that lights up like gatorade on acid and those with a more subtle ghoslty green glow? Two of the 3 vintage glasses I own do the latter. The 3rd is in the middle. It also could be the power/frequency of UV that influences this.

Edit: I'm not talking about the faint green glow that many old glasses have under a black light due to manganese, an additive to stop oxidation from the iron in the glass. One of my glasses has a green glow that is between the faint and the neon, as is the Torsade photo a few posts down. My hunch is it just may hve a it more manganese than some. Uranium dioxide glass usually lights up like a gatrade Christmas tree, with no areas of clear. There is also the yellow vaseline glass. I was wondering what is more valuable the green or yellow?

Due to a certain ebay seller who likes to list normal antique absinthe glassware as uranium glass, I feel the need to state the following: An absinthe glass that is clear under normal light and has a subtle green glow under a black light is not uranium/vaseline glass. It is, however, a good indicator that you have an authentic antique glass, because newer glasses won't do that.

I might be reading into it too much, but it almost seems like you may be confused about that as well. My apologies if I'm just stating the obvious to you.

Edited by Phoenix

Hey Phoenix, Yup I know him...I in fact bought a torade from him on Ebay, knowing from the photo that it was not really uranium glass, but rather manganese that was used back then to keep the glass clearer. It still is a lovely glass for the $50 or so I paid. What I did not know was that there's a hstory

of his doing this, and I just assumed it was a mistake. I wanted another antique torsade, and the price seemed pretty good. I was planning on getting a few pieces of vaseline glass, which is why I started this thread.

Here's a shot of the vintage one I bought from Marc at Musée Virtuel de l'Absinthe under black light. It is a bit more punchy than most, which is why I wasn't sure what it was, though it shows no trace of green at all in daylight...my hunch it just may have a bit more manganese in it than some. I believe it was used to stop oxidation with trace elements of iron.

TorsadeGlow.jpg

Before ubalt started listing normal antique absinthe glasses as uranium glass, he used to sell normal uranium glass pieces as absinthe pieces (which they weren't). I'm glad to hear you didn't get ripped off by him. His history is full of people who've spent outrageous amounts on items that either weren't listed correctly, or were just priced way too high and they've even left positive feedback, obviously not knowing any better.

Edited by Phoenix

I was just writing what a great effect the light has on the swirl glass when you PM. I should get a call from the post office tomorrow and will reship from there, insured. But really the black light on the swirl, wow !

Hmmm, Good stuff with the blacklight. One of my vintage absinthe glasses just met it's demise. I'd share pics but it may damage your heart. I had to sweep up the shards before the grands get here.

Not pissed, just, oh well. My first vintage casualty. <shrug>

:cheers:

Sorry about your glass, but have have a healthy perspective. Melt it down and make a paperweight, or better yet, flatten it into a sugar dish! Seriously...at least it will still be serving the absinthe world, and be a cool story! :cheerz:

Not pissed, just, oh well. <shrug>

There’s that OMG_ resilience and positive attitude I’ve come to know and love :blush:

Sorry to hear, but wow, way to take the blows, Bill :thumbup:

yes sir.

By the by, I recently wrote a little article on the toxicity of ouraline, if some cares to translate :

http://www.gazetteabsinthe.fr/?p=170

An attempt to translate this great atricle! It turns the word "absinthe" into "wormwood" funny. It seems the translation device thinks the work "absinthe" is a plant. Perhaps someone should mention this to Yves Kübler.....

http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_url?d...TrUrl=Translate

Here's my newest, not a true absinthe glass, but it's almost the same size, shape and weight as my vintage egg glass, but for the slightly more flared rim. I couldn't pass it up for the $29 it cost me!

UraniumGlass.jpg

I just wanted to share this incredible spooner that I found on Amazon. The color is just so perfect sitting next to my Verte's.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006ECSOHO/ref=pe_175190_21431760_M3C_ST1_3p_dp_i1

Vaseline Opalescent Glass Footed Spooner Eyewinker Pattern Made in Ohio

• Measures 4.5" wide and 5 3/4"
  • Vaseline Opalescent Glass
  • Made with Uranium
  • Holds Spoons or Forks
  • Will Glow Under Black Light

51xmsWbcF5L._SY355_.jpg</p>

Yeah, those are really cool, and they always look like they have eyes to me. You can also buy small salt dishes in uranium glass, that work great for holding sugar.

If you search Ebay for "salt cellar" you'll see some dazzling Victorian era pieces perfect for this use, uranium, silver, colored glass....

wow! I already bought a couple of glasses and spoons from ebay and plan to get a fountain, now I'm learning about these glasses that glow! oh boy I have had these hobbies/obsessions before. I can see that my wife will eventually have to talk me down once again.