Sign in to follow this  
divulse123

Bang for the buck

Hey all,

I've been wanting to try Vieux Carre since I first started reading the forums here, but the local absinthe vendor was sold out for 3 months... until this week. :thumbup:

I noticed that they carry Vieux Carre at full price for $55 for 750ml. 750ml of Lucid, on the other hand, is $61. Is this usual, or is this a price that I should be jumping out of my skin for?

My problem is that money is an issue, so I would rather hold off on buying more absinthe until I have some. However, if this is an exceptional price for VC (which is generally reviewed favorably compared to Lucid) that I may not be able to find elsewhere, I may be able to find enough pennies under the couch to spring for a bottle immediately.

Any thoughts?

Note: I compare to Lucid because it is a respectable verte, has a moderate $/ml, and is ubiquitous.

Thanks in advance!

There's never really a shortage of VC on the distiller's end. Some bottle shop owners may be hesitant to order more than a case at a time if it's not a product that flies off their shelves, and I don't think any owners will order 1 bottle for you. You could try to convince your bottle shop owner that he should stock at least a case at all times, and then push some of your mates to start buying and trying. That should help convince him to have a steady supply. Other than that, there's not much can be done on your part about the inventory. So when it comes to your question about getting a bottle now versus risking that it won't be available when you've got the spare change, I would opt for the riskier bet. You've already tried Lucid, and you're wanting to try VC. I think you should just get the VC when you're comfortably able to. Of course, if you save for it, wait for it, buy it and then hate it, I take no responsibility! Seriously though, it's not bad stuff. There may even be some folks here who can send you a sample to try. Who knows. This is a nice community.

As I've posted a number of times on here.........good booze isn't well received by every person. So, I will volunteer to take it off your hands if you don't care for it. A PM or so is all it takes. I have references. :)

This way you can't lose much at all. This is what community is all about. :cheers: