27 replies to this topic

#1 Nate Clark

Nate Clark

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 11:38 PM

I see the recent topic on opium with many references to entertainment mediums but with no actual links to any reliable sources. In light of that, my friend keeps on insisting that once upon a time in some far off distant land they used opium in absinthe. I refute his notions of anything that would debase my beautiful green fairy, but alas I have no proof to prove him wrong. It has come down to he said she said basically. So anybody know of proof that opium was never used or maybe it actually was I don't know. Any actual links would be helpful too, not just cut and paste. He is a sucker for the internet and believes "if it comes from the internet, it must be true". Oh wait...that's how I get all my absinthe info. j/k. Please discuss. As always any and all help is much appreciated. Thanks guys!!!

Edited by Nate Clark, 05 June 2010 - 12:12 AM.

#2 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,980 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 03:35 AM

You're looking at it backwards: it's your friend who has the burden of proof, not you. Have your friend provide credible sources for his supposition. When opium was an over-the-counter drug, it certainly is possible folks put it into their: absinthe, wine, milk, sarsaparilla... but that doesn't mean it was common. Have him provide just one credible reference (that does not include Hollywood).

I heard Mexico lost Texas to the US because Mexican soldiers were drinking tequila steeped with peyote buttons. You read it on the internet here. FACT!

#3 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,265 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 08:21 AM

Just for the sake of readers who will come across this page by Googling, I'd like to point out again that adding laudanum to absinthe was not customary and that there is only one historic account of it that I know of.

Maker of Marteau Absinthe
Master Distiller, Gnostalgic Spirits Distillery
www.absinthemarteau.com
Confessions of an Absinthiste

#4 buddhasynth

buddhasynth

Unseemly and Obtuse

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,647 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 09:40 AM

it mixes nicely with hydrocodone, but I'd think that discussion is for another forum.

and what Joe said. Knowers of "facts" must prove said "facts" to verify their "knowledge"; if they cannot do that, well......  :poop: :paperbag3:
What part of Klaatu Barada Nikto don't you understand?

...because shoddy absinthes will be flavored with the lubricator of take the lead anise.

#5 Green Baron

Green Baron

Advanced Decomposition

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 10:50 AM

There's endless amusement and/or consternation to be had with what people think they know about absinthe.

On the historical side, I've read* that the "bohemian" scene in Belle Epoque France (and other rebellious social movements elsewhere) had a fair amount actual drug use going on in the form of opiates and hashish. Along with many other forms of hedonism, they celebrated absinthe, though millions of everyday squares were also drinking absinthe. But of course the the shocking exploits of the bohemians were more well known; coinciding with a real epidemic of alcoholism and socially turbulent times, it became easy to perpetrate the association fallacy of absinthe with substance abuse and general overindulgence.

So I think the vague awareness of this myth, along with reinforcement from the movies, forms "facts" in some modern folk's minds.

The power of popular myth is pretty interesting. The whole thing brings to mind urban legends like "The average person swallows (x number of) spiders a year", which is of course entirely fabricated, or mass rumor e-mails that people just take at face value.

*reference- Absinthe: History in a Bottle by Barnaby Conrad III
This post has been edited over and over again by Green Baron

Chasing the green fairy in my triplane!

"A decorous absinthe will persuade your whisper away with its hooch essence..."

#6 stefan

stefan

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 03:09 PM

Is it just my faulty perception, or is this "opium with absinthe" myth becoming more popular as the truth about Thujone's less-than-trippy effects becomes more well-known? I heard almost nobody talking about opium-absinthe drinking months ago, but now it seems to be being thrown around by all the usual suspects.

Edited by stefan, 06 June 2010 - 03:10 PM.

#7 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,177 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 05:29 PM

The thujone crap has been pretty much debunked. Now people are looking for another demon.

I'd share a few anecdotes but this isn't the proper venue. <shrug>
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#8 Green Baron

Green Baron

Advanced Decomposition

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 09:21 PM

Actually, the first time I ran into someone who thought they "knew" all about absinthe after my initial readings and tastings (this was over two years ago), brought up the opium myth (I haven't heard it since).

No sooner than I'd spoken the word absinthe, he interrupted in a man-of-worldly-knowledge tone with "Absinthe tastes like shit, I've had plenty of absinthe. But if you drink it while smoking opium it changes the high." I was taken aback and didn't know what to say at first, just gave an incredulous look and managed to end the conversation with "Man, whatever you're drinking that tastes like shit, it aint real absinthe".

Edited by Green Baron, 07 June 2010 - 06:50 AM.

This post has been edited over and over again by Green Baron

Chasing the green fairy in my triplane!

"A decorous absinthe will persuade your whisper away with its hooch essence..."

#9 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,177 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 04:18 AM

I think opium will and should affect the "high". Silly humans!
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#10 divulse123

divulse123

• Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 08:57 AM

"Man, whatever you're drinking that tastes like shit, it aint real absinthe".

The only verifiable fact in this thread. :cheers: Drink up!
So far, I've experienced and prefer in this order:
1.) Jade Nouvelle-Orleans
2.) La Clandestine
3.) Lucid

#11 mgs

mgs

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 11:38 AM

hum, interesting.... opium with absinthe, do we fry eggs with these spices ?

:cheers:

- Marcelo

#12 Emerald Fae Fancier

Emerald Fae Fancier

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 03:00 PM

I could be completely wrong, but I would go so far as to guess it was Hollywood images like those found in the movie "From Hell" (excellent movie, don't get me wrong) that have sparked this thinking that any and everyone who has drunk or is drinking absinthe is doing so laced with opium or laudanum.

#13 thegreenimp

thegreenimp

Obsessed Herbsaint Collector

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 04:15 PM

I heard they steep laudanum in wormwood casks, or was absinthe in laudanumwood casks.....I forget.....it must be all the thujone.

I guess nobody just drinks booze anymore.
At the close of the day drink an Herbsaint Frappé,...Legendre Herbsaint, always served when absinthe is called for.
The History of Legendre Herbsaint

#14 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,177 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 03:53 AM

I guess nobody just drinks booze anymore

:wave2: I do.

sometimes.;)

#15 Emerald Fae Fancier

Emerald Fae Fancier

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 06:23 AM

Me too, every chance I get. Alcohol is one of my favorite pastimes, aside from food, but that works out well since the two go so beautifully together.

#16 AZmadness

AZmadness

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 11:37 PM

I study history at the University of Arizona here in sunny old Tucson, I have learned that only believe those who are crediable and have proper crudentials to prove so. Furthermore on the subject people who study a subject can disagree w/ each other, historians tend to fist fight over trivial idea (j/k). However the idea of opium in absinthe seems to be plausible but almost anything is. The whole scene From Hell seems a bit far fetched for due to the issue of if you're in an opium den you will usually just have opium. Just remember it is up to you to research and try to hack an idea of what seems plausible and what seems to be a myth. As far as my amatuer historical opinions go it seems that it could have happened but not to the extent where it was common place.
We are 138!

#17 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,806 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 03:35 AM

Ahem. ;)

Just for the sake of readers who will come across this page by Googling, I'd like to point out again that adding laudanum to absinthe was not customary and that there is only one historic account of it that I know of.

Given that literally millions of people were drinking absinthe each day, of course there must have been a few junkies who added it to their absinthe. We accept that completely. But the discussion involves whether that was a commonplace tradition throughout the absinthe drinking world. That answer seems quite obviously to be no, given the amount of research that has been done on the subject.
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#18 nos4a2

nos4a2

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 02:41 PM

This whole topic is ridiculous.
Everyone knows you add absinthe to your Opium!

#19 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,980 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 08:55 PM

Apparently, you have found yourself at the wrong forum. :laugh:

#20 nos4a2

nos4a2

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 01:57 AM

Apparently, you have found yourself at the wrong forum. :laugh:

Well I shouldn't be surprised that forum exists,but how is it you are familiar with it Joe?
Wink..wink...Nudge..nudge. :cheers:

#21 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,177 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 03:57 AM

Joe reads a lot. He comes up with some real gems. Cheers!

#22 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,980 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 04:16 AM

It's not so difficult. I typed "Opium Forum" into Google.
Then, just for fun I typed in "Sex Forum" ... :blink:

#23 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,806 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 06:02 AM

:laf:
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#24 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,635 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 06:44 AM

Even I don't have that much time. :laugh:

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#25 Trauma_Hound

Trauma_Hound

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 10:46 AM

Did somebody say sex? Have you seen 2 girls one absinthe glass?

:laugh:
I was up above it. Now I'm down in it.

#26 nos4a2

nos4a2

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 03:12 PM

Well done. :laf:

#27 AZmadness

AZmadness

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 11:09 PM

I love it how the topics of the posts change when enough people post to them! :laugh:
We are 138!

#28 Caravano

Caravano

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 06:53 AM

Even I don't have that much time. :laugh:

...on your hands.
"Antici…………..pation"- Frank