Gwydion Stone

Swiss IGP for exclusive use of the word "Absinthe"

A bet it is a combination of a bunch of people with a website & a forum, some distillers, and one guy commuting between Atlanta, and Samur. :)

Regretfuly a lot of damage has been done. I've run into a lot of folks that hate absinthe, becuase they tried a burning crapsinth.

Is there a movement to help get absinthe properly defined in the U.S.?

Short answer: yes.

How can I help?

Maybe I should be clearer, is there a movement to legally define absinthe as certain other drinks are? I know the WS is educating on a social level.

Edited by Tatan

Burning absinthe has been happening long before absinthe was legal in the states.

I'm sure the flavor of the swil (burnt or unburnt) had more to do with these folks hating absinthe.

is there a movement to legally define absinthe as certain other drinks are?

short answer: yes. :pirate:

I'm not aware of any additional help needed. I'm sure that if it is, the appropriate people would solicit the specific help that is required.

I'm sure the flavor of the swil (burnt or unburnt) had more to do with these folks hating absinthe.

my point was that the burning of swill happened before the ban was lifted. The drinking of swill in general happened before the ban was lifted. The existence, or lack thereof, of a proper definition in the US would not have stopped this, since these people weren't going through proper channels to buy that absinthe. There would need to be a world definition to stop that from happening.

I'm mostly talking about people who ran into this in Houston and NOLA bars after the lifting of the ban. Since the ban was lifted without a definition, it allowed all kinds of swill to be called absinthe. People went to a bar all exited to try absinthe, got a glassfull of burning swill, and went on to tell anyone that asked how horrible absinthe is. Since some of these folks wanted to like it, they then blame US laws from banning 'real' absinthe. I'm not talking theory, I'm talking about a lot of people I've talked to when the subject of absinthe came up.

Tequila used to suffer from the same issues.

Edited by Miguel

If you feel amply educated, have a sit-down with your Congressional representatives to start.

No matter what anyone tells you, letters and volume mean a lot. Almost more than the content of the letters. Best when they come from back home, as all politics is local come election time.

my point was that the burning of swill happened before the ban was lifted. The drinking of swill in general happened before the ban was lifted. The existence, or lack thereof, of a proper definition in the US would have stopped this, since these people weren't going through proper channels to buy that absinthe. There would need to be a world definition to stop that from happening.

I'm assuming you meant "would not have stopped this" ?

I'm talking about a lot of people I've talked to when the subject of absinthe came up.

understood. And I agree that some people were 'burned' by swill when absinthe was legalized without a definition. But I'm also saying that the ersatz tradition of burning absinthe would have happened regardless of a definition, and would have turned off just as many people. I'm sure I'd be turned off to a Jade if I burned it and took it as a shot.

And I also think that there were a good deal of people who were turned off to it for the same reason before the ban was lifted. The brands that got the most hits and popularity (unless you were amongst the small few who knew what was what) were brands like Hills, KoSG, Original, etc. We've come a long way in a very short 4 years in sifting out a lot of crap from the market. Much better than many other markets. I would go out on a limb and guess, maybe incorrectly, that there may have been more people who were turned off in the 10 years or so when it was only available online or smuggled back from Europe, than there were during the past 4 years.

I'd love to hear thoughts from people like Alan, Ted and Oxy to see if I'm totally off base in that hypothesis.

And I agree with Grim about the letters.

Grim, excellent advice. I have been bugging my rep. about legislation concerning absinthe, like Internet sales and stuff. Regretfully he will not seek re election to run for president, so I might have to see who replaces him. So far he is very supportive of people being able to buy the booze they want.

Over 40 objections from France, US, and other parts of Switzerland, could take years to resolve.

Here is the most recent thing I could find. I'll leave it to the wise ones to interpret.

Thanks for the link.

1) Basically says that the legalisation in France will not affect the Swiss IGP issue.

2) If the Swiss IGP goes through it is not automatically recognized by the EU. But will most likely be the subject of negotiations.

3) Not sure what this means. I'm not actually French, just around it a lot (too much).

So:

1) French legislation --> does not affect Swiss IGP

2) Swiss IGP --> is not recognized by EU

Conclusion : none of above affect absinthe in US

Corollary : everything is still the same, since we started discussions in this thread.

- MGS

In a way that is bad, since we are no closer to a definition of absinthe. But at least we don't have to call American absinthe wormwood liquor.

Well that's...terrible. :3869-sadbanana:

That said, America pretty much already ignores the IGP on tequila...not that it's the right thing to do, but there it is.

From the article:

The recognition of PGI and PDO (Protected Designation of Origin) labels came into force in Switzerland last December following an accord between Switzerland and the European Union under which both sides recognise each other’s special food labels.

Ha! Told you so!

Basically, what this means is that absinthes made in the European Union won't be able to label their absinthe as such. Which means they'll go back to things like, "spirits made from the absinthe plant" and what not.

Before we start beating up on Alan, let's remember he can only really tell you what he's been told by CAB. Outside of that it would just be conjecture on his part, as ours.

Alan posting in this thread would serve no purpose,

Agreed. Alan is not the one that makes policy and probably had little input on this whole mess. He tries to sell the beverages that someone else makes and to my understanding, that's about it. Bashing Alan would be "shooting the messenger."

From the article:

The recognition of PGI and PDO (Protected Designation of Origin) labels came into force in Switzerland last December following an accord between Switzerland and the European Union under which both sides recognise each other’s special food labels.

Ha! Told you so!

Basically, what this means is that absinthes made in the European Union won't be able to label their absinthe as such.

Wrong.

Through no fault of his own, Ian has managed to find the only English-language article which incorrectly turned the decision about Switzerland into an all-Europe issue. I suggest that it might be better to look at the original release here, or any of the other French, German or English write-ups about this. It has zero effect outside Switzerland, and I doubt if it ever will.

Before we start beating up on Alan, ...
That wasn't remotely my intention. Sorry.

Alan is in a unique position both geographically and professionally to have insight that most of us haven't a clue.

Ha. I know YOU weren't beating up on him! But I could see that going south in a hurry!

Through no fault of his own, Ian has managed to find the only English-language article which incorrectly turned the decision about Switzerland into an all-Europe issue. I suggest that it might be better to look at the original release here, or any of the other French, German or English write-ups about this. It has zero effect outside Switzerland, and I doubt if it ever will.

The power of Google Alerts...