649 replies to this topic

#631 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,274 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:18 AM

I have yet to see any non-anecdotal evidence that absinthe originated in VdT.  On the other hand, I've seen many recipes for it in English-language distilling and apothecary treatises since long before the 1790s, that made no mention of France or Switzerland.  The anise-fennel-wormwood tonic itself has been around for ages.

Maker of Marteau Absinthe
Master Distiller, Gnostalgic Spirits Distillery
www.absinthemarteau.com
Confessions of an Absinthiste

#632 Evan Camomile

Evan Camomile

"Mr The Judge"

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:43 AM

I'd love to see those sources. I've been questioning the VdT origin of absinthe for a while now, so some harder evidence against the Dr. Ordinaire tale would make my day.

American Absintheur
Blog | FB | Twitter

#633 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,274 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 09:24 AM

Sure, no problem.

William Y-Worth, 1705:

Attached File  69.png   40.75KB   0 downloads Attached File  70.png   40.17KB   0 downloads

www.absinthemarteau.com

#634 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,988 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 10:59 AM

Ask and you shall receive. :laugh:

#635 Evan Camomile

Evan Camomile

"Mr The Judge"

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 03:15 PM

Wow!

Aqua Absinthii, even the name is very similar.

Thanks Gwydion!

American Absintheur
Blog | FB | Twitter

#636 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,274 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 03:20 PM

My pleasure.

www.absinthemarteau.com

#637 TheLoucheyMonster!

TheLoucheyMonster!

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 01:27 PM

At the end of this article is a link to a pdf of the full court ruling in French

http://www.beveraged...-in-Switzerland

to pdf

http://www.bvger.ch/...c_JjKbNoKSn6A--

#638 Georges Meliès

Georges Meliès

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:48 AM

According to Marie-Claude Delahaye's blog the issue is finally well and truly dead.

A quick translation:

The Association interprofessionnelle de l’absinthe has decided not to appeal the decision of the federal administrative tribunal. The TAF had ruled for the opposition: absinthe is a generic name and therefore cannot belong solely to the Val-de-Travers.

The Association will nonetheless file a new claim at the Federal Office of Agriclture in early November to obtain an IGP Absinthe Val de Travers and Fée verte Val de Travers.

#639 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,274 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 02:29 PM

I wish them success in all their worthy endeavors.  

www.absinthemarteau.com

#640 Georges Meliès

Georges Meliès

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 02:46 PM

They should have gone in this new direction in the first place. It would have saved a lot of hassle, as well as money. And it's infinitely more logical. At least now they are asking for a geographical identity, which is the whole point of the IGP system.

#641 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,274 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 03:08 PM

As far as I knew, they already had the IGP for "absinthe de VdT".  As I recall, that was the protected designation in the deal with Russia.

www.absinthemarteau.com

#642 Evan Camomile

Evan Camomile

"Mr The Judge"

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 04:57 PM

Yeah sure, as long as nothing is hidden in that attempt.

Maybe I'm paranoid but the first attempt was so balls out nuts that I doubt they've completely given up trying to take the entire category. I'll reserve specific comments for when I know more about the new measure.

The fact that they are responding to defeat with an explicitly regional classification makes a lot of the previous pro-IGP arguments and excuses fall flat on their face. Something to consider when reading through the older pages of this thread.

If it is exactly what is implied though, then by all means let them have it.

American Absintheur
Blog | FB | Twitter

#643 fingerpickinblue

fingerpickinblue

Hallucinations Sold Separately

• Content Team
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 07:18 PM

As far as I knew, they already had the IGP for "absinthe de VdT".  As I recall, that was the protected designation in the deal with Russia.

It was the designation stated in that agreement, however when we wrote our position statement I could find no evidence of its legitimacy.

blind man see her, dumb man call her name - Ed Bell

#644 Marlow

Marlow

Aeronaut

• Silver Member
  • 899 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:30 PM

Somewhere or other I read that taking this to the last stage will cost them 18,000CHF. A chunk of money, but not huge in the grand scheme. I can only hope that they realize that the odds are against them; they aren't likely to prevail so is it worth throwing good money after bad? It's pretty obvious that their entire argument is flawed.

However earlier today I found a French-language Swiss site and read the article, and then the comments. The latter were almost all from people in the Neuchatel area (the website was for a newspaper there). They were emphatically aghast that the ruling went against them. So it's not just the producers. There's huge support for the proposal among the local residents. Still, they are outnumbered. No matter how strong their civic pride and love of local history, it's just not possible to say that absinthe is unique to VdT. For that mater, people are still arguing over the question of whether it even started there or not. But no matter, even if it did, at the time of the ban there were millions more bottles being produced in France than in VdT.

This French language article talks about how angry everyone in VdT is about the judgment.

The Interprofession de l'absinthe  Wednesday did not hide its indignation and incomprehension after the decision of the Federal Adminitrative Tribunal to not give the IGP "Fée Verte." Angry, the Interprofesson de l'absinthe will need to determine its chances of success in an appeal. 

They can cry me a freakin' river....  

I can't say how pleased I am to hear that, at last, a court has ruled against these VdT schemes, but I too will be continuing my personal boycott of VdT absinthes.  There are plenty of good choices in the world these days, and I see no reason to buy from dishonest people.

If you feel the need to buy absinthe from Switzerland, I suggest Duplais Verte.

Otherwise, there is a long list of quality offerings from France and the USA to choose from.

Annihilating all that's made
To a green thought in a green shade.

#645 SethP

SethP

• PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 07:58 PM

Well, Marlow. My personal boycott is over, or at least it will be soon. I just need some kind of confirmation on this (and as reported in Georges Meliès post no. 638 above) and also that the issue regarding the general term absinthe is now over and can't be resumed again.

Edited by SethP, 02 September 2014 - 08:06 PM.

Top five brands so far:
Jade (PF) 1901 - this is a winner but also quite an expensive brand (It can be well diluted though) | Grön Opal - Swedens most excellent and newest absinthe | Libertine 72 - for the low price and because it can also be diluted really wellDuplais Balance - very tasty indeed and for quite some time my favourite | Mansinthe - which I find a little bit more "spicy" than others, but with no downsides

#646 Georges Meliès

Georges Meliès

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 09:45 PM

I don't think there's any question that the attempt to usurp the name absinthe is truly over. A quick translation of the key part of the article linked above:

"The IGP Absinthe its dead. Long live the protected geographic indication Absinthe Val-de-Traver and Fée Verte Val-de-Travers!

The Interprofessional Association of absinthe has decided to not appeal the decision of the federal administrative tribunal which agreed with the opposition: absinthe is therefore generic and its name dos not belong solely to Val de Travers. The distillers of the valley feel that they have neither the time nor the means to pursue the arm of justice against the large foreign producers. <Editorial comment: BS!!!>

But the association still intends to defend what their producers distinguish on the market. They will therefore plead for a new IGP case, this time adding a place name, to defend the demoninations Absinthe Val-de-Traver and Fée verte Val-de-Travers. The process will take "about a year and a half", according to Yves Kübler, vice-president of the Association interprofessionnelle de l’absinthe.

These new appellations will have two advantages, according to Yves Kübler: on the one hand they would seem not to disturb foreign competition, on the other hand they assure as great a visibility as if the IGP Absinthe had been accepted."

Once again, I have to question why they didn't take the logical route in the first place instead of trying to hijack the entire name..........

#647 fingerpickinblue

fingerpickinblue

Hallucinations Sold Separately

• Content Team
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 03:08 AM

A friend of mine here once said "Bipeds will be bipeds."

blind man see her, dumb man call her name - Ed Bell

#648 SethP

SethP

• PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 04:46 AM

I don't think there's any question that the attempt to usurp the name absinthe is truly over. A quick translation of the key part of the article linked above:

"The IGP Absinthe its dead. Long live the protected geographic indication Absinthe Val-de-Traver and Fée Verte Val-de-Travers!
[...]"

Once again, I have to question why they didn't take the logical route in the first place instead of trying to hijack the entire name..........

Well, I also truly think it's over by now and I'm glad it's so. I don't think the Association interprofessionnelle de l'absinthe will appeal the verdict to the Swiss supreme court after this good news. (But something (?) also makes me hope that the expiration date for such an appeal has passed.)

For all I care they can have an IGP for the regional labeling and marketing as described by themselves in this pdf file (that would certainly be the "logical route" as you said). So common sence has now prevailed, even within the AIA it seems. And now I can also buy some of the fine absinthes from VdT again, as I said before, without any bad feelings about it.  :)

Edit:

A google translation from the pdf says:

"While deeply disappointed with this decision, it acknowledges and renounces 
appeal to the Federal Court to avoid a sterile battle with no real chance of success. 
However, this defeat does not disturb anything in the will of the members"

Well... Too bad common sence hurt their feelings.  :dry:

Edited by SethP, 04 September 2014 - 04:53 AM.

Top five brands so far:
Jade (PF) 1901 - this is a winner but also quite an expensive brand (It can be well diluted though) | Grön Opal - Swedens most excellent and newest absinthe | Libertine 72 - for the low price and because it can also be diluted really wellDuplais Balance - very tasty indeed and for quite some time my favourite | Mansinthe - which I find a little bit more "spicy" than others, but with no downsides

#649 Marlow

Marlow

Aeronaut

• Silver Member
  • 899 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 07:38 PM

Well, Marlow. My personal boycott is over, or at least it will be soon. I just need some kind of confirmation on this (and as reported in Georges Meliès post no. 638 above) and also that the issue regarding the general term absinthe is now over and can't be resumed again.

Well, Seth, that's fine.  

Just be aware, they didn't renounce their skullduggery; they just lost in court and are making a virtue of necessity.

As for me, I don't always buy Swiss absinthe, but when I do, I buy Duplais.

Annihilating all that's made
To a green thought in a green shade.

#650 SethP

SethP

• PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 01:18 AM

Duplais sure is a brand for me too. (And Mansinthe from the same producer of course.)

I can't really say that I've got any VdT favorites either, at least yet, apart from Blanche Neige that for a blanche I found to be a real treat. I've had Kübler back in 2011 but I'll probably not buy that again. Not that it's a bad absinthe in any way but I just found Blanche Neige sooo much better. (I just hope that they'll release the latter in a 50cl bottle some time soon.) Kübler doesn't really get much help either, for me, due to the company (or it's owner) being such a major player, as I understand it (?), in the efforts for an IGP regarding the general term absinthe initially. So I guess I'd say I agree, in a way or another, with your remark about them just "making a virtue of necessity" At least I feel a bit :g: about them too, but I can't find any specific reason to maintain a personal boycott any longer though. I'm just aware now about them not playing nice so to speak.

(I guess I have to say that my purchase of Blanche Neige was a "mistake" though.  :unsure:

I think it was released during my boycott... yes, it was in december 2013. My only excuse is that it came with an offer I found hard to resist.)

Edited by SethP, 12 September 2014 - 01:19 AM.

Top five brands so far:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association