59 replies to this topic

#31 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,776 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 07:10 AM

I was asked to feature two cocktails for my cousin's pre-wedding party this past Friday. The groom is a bourbon man, and the bride is a tequila gal.

So here's what I chose:

Bourbon:

Celery Julep
2 oz Maker's Mark
1/4 oz freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 1/2 oz celery syrup*

Stir for 30 seconds
Strain into Julep Cup filled with crushed ice
Top with 1 oz seltzer
Garnish with celery top

Attached File  julep.jpg   21.04KB   1 downloads

Tequila:
1 oz good silver tequila (Corzo, Casa Noble, etc)
1/2 oz agave nectar
2 oz Watermelon water**
1/4 oz freshly squeezed lime juice
dash of strawberry-basil bitters***

Shake ingredients vigorously (agave nectar takes a while to incorporate)
Strain into martini glass or cocktail glass
Top with splash of seltzer
Garnish with a Basil leaf (slap it to express oils first)

Attached File  watermelon.jpg   20.66KB   1 downloads

* Celery Syrup
Juice enough celery to make however many cocktails you plan to make (1 1/2 oz per drink)
If you don't have a juicer, then chop it fine then add to blender with a bit of water and puree.
Use a fine mesh strainer or cheesecloth to press out all of the liquid into a saucepan
For every 4 ounces of celery juice, add about 1/4 tsp of celery seed (scale down a bit if you're making a LOT)
Warm the liquid over low heat
Add sugar and dissolve (adjust sweetness to your own taste)
I used approx 3 cups of sugar for 1 gallon of celery syrup. I've seen other recipes that call for double that.
Once all sugar is dissolved, strain liquid to get out the celery seeds.
Syrup will last about a week.

** Watermelon water
Juice a watermelon or blend it up and pass it through a course strainer just enough to get the large solids out.
For every one watermelon, also juice about 10 medium sized strawberries
Juice will separate easily so make sure to give it a good stir before making each cocktail
Juice will last about 4 or 5 days

*** Strawberry-Basil bitters
These aren't necessary, as the drink is fantastic even without them, but it does add a nice depth of flavor. The recipe is rather complex so I can send it to anyone who cares to have it.
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#32 leopold

leopold

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 06:30 AM

Well, I guess I know what me and the missus will be drinking tonight. Well done!

#33 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,776 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 08:12 AM

:cheers:

Seriously, they were clamboring to get more. We must have served 120 of each of them.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#34 ignis

ignis

• PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 08:17 AM

If I wasn't so lazy I'd make one of those. Looks great. :dribble:
"I just want silence. Jesus, it doesn't mean I don't like you. It just means right now, I like silence more."

#35 Jen Dixon

Jen Dixon

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 08:18 AM

Just made some of that sangria I posted about on the first page of this thread:

Posted Image
I'm Jen, artist and dork. I used to run an absinthe shop. You can also find me at:
http://www.regularjen.com, Twitter @regularjen
http://jendixonarts.com, what I do for a living
http://www.flickr.co...tos/regularjen/, pics
http://absinthehour.com, Twitter @absinthehour

#36 Ron

Ron

Blind Eye McGee

• Content Team
  • 4,128 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 08:38 AM

You're so coastal now. :thumbup:
Every hour is green hour. -Hedonmonkey

Sometimes bad just gets so bad that it breaks thru to the other side and becomes good. - Phoenix

#37 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,776 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 10:08 AM

Now you need to try Calimocho. :thumbup:

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#38 hauntedoaks

hauntedoaks

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 07:23 PM

I made a new version of the Tom Collins last night that was fantastic! Tom Collins has always been my "grown up" drink of choice when I go out because bars around Michigan do not typically serve absinthe. Being a huge fan of the University of Michigan I am going to start calling this drink "The Wolverine", GO BLUE!

The Wolverine
2 shots Bombay Sapphire
1 shot La Clandestine
2 shots Bailey's sweet and sour
Shaken on ice, strained into a tall glass filled with ice
Top with 7-UP.
Good night, good work, sleep well. I'll most likely kill you in the morning. The Dread Pirate Roberts

#39 brennivin

brennivin

• PipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 07:15 AM

It's been hot, and we had Chinese food for dinner last night, so I wanted to create something that worked in that arena and was light and refreshing. Hence my extremely cheesily named ...

Jade Tiger!

1 1/2 oz Ty-Ku
1 oz vodka
splash of simple syrup
Shaken vigorously with ice
poured in a chilled cocktail glass
then topped with club soda

(you could skip the simple if you used 7-Up instead of club soda, I just didn't have any)

Ty-Ku is the Asian liquer with fruit, green tea, etc.

Posted Image

#40 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,776 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 08:45 AM

Yeah, they had a presentation at Tales last year that rivaled the misinformation campaign of Dr. Magnan.

Have decided not to purchase any solely based on that.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#41 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,712 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 10:57 AM

Now you need to try Calimocho. :thumbup:

:heart:

It's been a long time since I've had that and of course right now I'm out of both outrageously expensive and hard to find ingredients.

Dagnabit.

A little technological fix to a spiritual problem.

#42 Jay

Jay

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 01:39 PM

Last weekend my girl and I were experimenting with some mixed drinks using Dubonnet, and on the whole we weren't favorably impressed - our favorite by far was the Joburg, although ours was bastardized since we used Dubonnet Rouge instead of Blanc.

After a few drinks, I concocted one of my own without Dubonnet. While making something up while buzzing around the apartment at night is fun, it usually results in a poor-tasting drink; however, this one was surprisingly good. Since the closest equivalent I could find for it was something called Sweet Summer Days, I figured I'd go ahead and post it here.

White Rain

1 jigger vodka (I used Rain vodka)
1/2 jigger white rum (I used Appleton)
1/3 jigger vanilla syrup
1/2 juice lemon
1/2 small lime

Shake with ice and strain.

For those with less of a sweet tooth, you might try using vanilla vodka instead of plain vodka and then dropping the syrup altogether, but I make no promises. Enjoy!

#43 AiO

AiO

Movie Freak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 06:58 PM

Our 14th wedding anniversary is just around the corner and my wife asked me to create a nice, summery cocktail to celebrate the occasion. Figured I'd post it here in case anyone is interested in joining us in a toast. Or in beating back this record heat!

1 oz. passion fruit syrup (easy to make your own: 1:1 defrosted frozen passion fruit puree and simple syrup)
1/2 oz. pineapple juice (preferably fresh, but commercial (unsweetened, 100%) pineapple juice would work)
1/2 teaspoon pomegranate syrup (real grenadine)
1 oz. gin (I use Bluecoat for its pronounced citrus notes)

2 oz. brut champagne
1/4 oz. Aperol

Shake first four ingredients with ice and strain into a champagne flute. Top with champagne and Aperol. Garnish with orchid or other suitably exotic flower. Enjoy!
"Life is a tragedy when seen in close-up, but a comedy in long-shot" -- Charlie Chaplin

#44 ShaiHulud

ShaiHulud

Dr. Valentin Magnan wannabe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,385 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 07:41 AM

Two of my favourite summer cocktail creations:

The Sock-tale
2oz Vodka (yes, I have Vodka in my bar)
.5oz St. Germaine
1oz Green tea (Black tea works well also)
3oz Ginger Ale (not a spicy one this time)

The Lion's Tooth
1.5oz Gin (I like a citrus forward one for this application)
1oz Dandelion Wine (I made my own this year based on that vintage recipe from Imbibe Magazine)
2 dashes Fernet Branca

Special points for whomever can identify why this one is called a "Lion's Tooth"
Litany against fear of Absinthe - I must not fear Absinthe. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my Absinthe. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the Absinthe has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

#45 AiO

AiO

Movie Freak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 05:13 PM

Dandelion, from "dent de lion," meaning "tooth of the lion." Yes! Special points!

Seriously, I'll have to hunt down that dandelion wine recipe. Sounds like an interesting cocktail!
"Life is a tragedy when seen in close-up, but a comedy in long-shot" -- Charlie Chaplin

#46 ShaiHulud

ShaiHulud

• 2,385 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 06:33 AM

25 Special Points for you!

It was a very nonspecific recipe involving 6 quarts of dandelion blossoms, oranges, lemons, and copious amounts of sugar. No yeast. I guess one just hopes for wild yeasts or something. I should have asked Joe and Jules for help, but I just got the urge to try it by myself one evening. I made it in the spring and am only just using it now. It is still very sweet, but it works well in this cocktail.
Litany against fear of Absinthe - I must not fear Absinthe. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my Absinthe. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the Absinthe has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

#47 ShaiHulud

ShaiHulud

• 2,385 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 02:16 PM

I love Martinis year round the mouth feel of premium vodka is... just kidding. I do love Martini's though I was not kidding about that. I also love variations on the Martini and I do call them "tinis" sometimes, but only if they are gin based and contain vermouth.

Two of our favourites are as follows:

The Chan-tini (pronounced SHAN-tee-nee for obvious reasons if you know Pensieve)
3oz Gin
.75oz Dry Vermouth
.25oz brine from garlic stuffed olives
shake well with ice (at least 30 seconds please)
serve in a martini glass and drop in three garlic stuffed olives

The Violet Martini
1.5oz Gin
.25oz Dry Vermouth
.5oz Creme d'Yvette
shake well with ice (at least 30 seconds please)
serve in a martini glass and garnish with violet flower and/or leaf if you have it

Edited by ShaiHulud, 29 August 2011 - 02:16 PM.

#48 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 02:30 PM

Dandelion, from "dent de lion," meaning "tooth of the lion." Yes! Special points!

Seriously, I'll have to hunt down that dandelion wine recipe. Sounds like an interesting cocktail!

The current french name 'pissenlit' is funnier. Wiki says the roots make you go real bad.

#49 AiO

AiO

Movie Freak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 06:38 PM

The Violet Martini

Try this and get back to me:

2 oz. gin
.25 oz. dry vermouth
.25 oz. absinthe
.25 oz. creme de violette
2 dashes orange bitters

Stir with ice and strain into chilled cocktail glass. Garnish with orange twist.

Recommendations? Plymouth, Dolin, MoL, Emile Pernot violette, Regan's No. 6.

#50 fingerpickinblue

fingerpickinblue

Hallucinations Sold Separately

• Content Team
  • 3,341 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 06:42 PM

My doctor said the same thing to me! :twitchsmile:
blind man see her, dumb man call her name - Ed Bell

#51 sardonix

sardonix

C30H40O6 aficionado

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,203 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 07:25 PM

I don't know if this already exists, or what to call it, but last night I threw together, in a large glass:

-2 shots of Absolut Ruby Red vodka
-1 shot of Chartreuse
-a dash or two of Peychaud's
-a tablespoon or so of Rose's lime juice
-mixed with a ~2:1 ratio of iced green tea : pomegranite juice, + crushed ice.

It tasted pretty good while grilling dinner...

:cheerz:
I think, therefore I am. Or am I over-thinking? I am thinking it over...

#52 Ambear

Ambear

Ermahgerd, Erbsernthe

• Content Team
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 07:37 PM

I know, I know...this is where everyone gets all judgemental on vodka, but I really wanted to try the Ruby Red and never got around to it. I may have to hunt a little down.
Visita Interiora Terrae Rectificando Invenies Occultum Lapidem

Website | Blog | Twitter

#53 AiO

AiO

Movie Freak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 03:39 AM

You'd be much better served by tracking down a bottle of Charbay Ruby Red grapefruit vodka. Theirs is actually made by macerating fruit in vodka as opposed to adding artificial essences, oils, etc. Their Meyer Lemon is fantastic too.

Just a suggestion.

#54 fingerpickinblue

fingerpickinblue

Hallucinations Sold Separately

• Content Team
  • 3,341 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 05:59 AM

All those Charbays rock. Even the un-flavored.
blind man see her, dumb man call her name - Ed Bell

#55 Ambear

Ambear

Ermahgerd, Erbsernthe

• Content Team
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 06:29 AM

You'd be much better served by tracking down a bottle of Charbay Ruby Red grapefruit vodka. Theirs is actually made by macerating fruit in vodka as opposed to adding artificial essences, oils, etc. Their Meyer Lemon is fantastic too.

Just a suggestion.

And an excellent suggestion at that! That does sound a little more down my alley.
Visita Interiora Terrae Rectificando Invenies Occultum Lapidem

Website | Blog | Twitter

#56 ShaiHulud

ShaiHulud

• 2,385 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 11:24 AM

Try this and get back to me:

2 oz. gin
.25 oz. dry vermouth
.25 oz. absinthe
.25 oz. creme de violette
2 dashes orange bitters

I tried this last night. Pensieve quite liked it. It is very, very floral with Lucid (wasn't sure that I wanted to use the good stuff). I thought it could use a little tweaking for my taste. Here is my feedback for what it is worth (and remember there is no accounting for taste).

I think the orange bitters are lost and unnecessary, but maybe that is because I think there is a bit too much absinthe. I tried a second one with no bitters, double the creme de violette, and half the absinthe and preferred it that way for a "Violette Martini" mind you. I like the hint of floral from the absinthe added to the violet, but the violet is easily overpowered.

Pensieve loves violet (mostly because now she knows what the flavour of a purple juju bee is). She experimented with Creme d'Yvette and Arak with some success.

#57 AiO

AiO

Movie Freak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 03:32 PM

I quite enjoy this recipe, but can't claim credit for it. It's a version of the Attention cocktail from Kate Simon's book of absinthe cocktails. I will say that, IMO, this isn't the place to hold back on the "good stuff." As you point out, there's a fair amount of absinthe in there--you can get away with using the "cheap" stuff in dashes, but .25 oz.? And Meadow of Love blends so beautifully with the violette--which is also a crucial ingredient. Rothman & Winter just doesn't do it for me here. Surprised you couldn't taste the bitters; two good dashes of Regan's comes through loud and clear for me. My dashes tend to be on the liberal side though.

If you haven't tried an Arsenic and Old Lace--a very similar cocktail--you might enjoy it. Here's a recipe from another absinthe cocktail book:

2 oz. gin
.75 dry vermouth
.25 creme de violette
absinthe to rinse

Rinse chilled cocktail glass with absinthe and discard excess (I don't, shhh). Stir other ingredients with ice and strain into prepared glass. Garnish with orange twist.

#58 ShaiHulud

ShaiHulud

• 2,385 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 06:43 AM

Arsenic and Old Lace
2 oz. gin
.75 dry vermouth
.25 creme de violette
absinthe to rinse

Nice, that is almost exactly what I went to for my second. Love the name. I would clarify that it was not that I did not taste the orange bitters in the other bev, I just thought they were lost. Also, I am one of those guys who does not mind Lucid. It would be interesting with a sweeter blanche.

I don't pour my rinse out either :cheers:

#59 AiO

AiO

Movie Freak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 08:17 AM

Good man! :cheers:

#60 Zman (Marc Bernhard)

Zman (Marc Bernhard)

Really Advanced Member

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 09:54 AM

If you haven't tried them yet, I'd recommend giving Tempus Fugit and G. Miclo liqueur de Violettes a try.

If you don't like anise at all, you're not likely to care for any decent absinthe, as absinthe is an anise flavored drink. It's kind of like asking if there are any good beers that don't taste like hops or malt.----Hiram

Marc Bernhard, owner and Master Distiller of Pacific Distillery LLC
Maker of Pacifique Absinthe and Voyager Single Batch Distilled Gin
Woodinville, WA, USA
www.pacificdistillery.com

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association