AiO

Summer Cocktails!

I figured since the warmer months are upon us and since we didn't have a thread already devoted to it, I'd create a repository for everyone's favorite summer cocktails. I recall folks posting recipes hither and yon over the years, but it would be nice to have them all in one place, so feel free to post/re-post here!

I'll get the ball rolling with two cocktails I recently created that have become house favorites over the past week or two. Both were inspired by the beginning of peach season here in south-central PA.

GIN-GIN BELLINI

A mating of the Gin-Gin cocktail and the Peach Bellini, with a nod to Audrey Saunders and the Gin-Gin Mule.

1 1/2 oz. gin (I use Tanqueray)

3/4 oz. St. Germain Elderflower liqueur

2 large slices fresh, ripe white peach

2 thin slices peeled ginger root

2 oz. chilled Prosecco

Muddle the peach slices and ginger slices together in a mixing glass. Add gin, elderflower liqueur, and ice. Shake it like you mean it. Strain (or double strain if you don't like peach puree floating in your drink) into a chilled cocktail glass and top with prosecco. Garnish with a slice of peach or, if you want to get fancy, with a slice of peach speared to a few pieces of candied ginger.

THE ROSY CRUCIFIXION

A kinder, gentler Death in the Afternoon. It needed a suitably literary title, I thought, so my apologies to Henry Miller.

1 oz. absinthe blanche (I use Clandestine)

1/2 oz. St Germain Elderflower liqueur

2 large slices fresh, ripe white peach

2-3 oz. chilled Rose champagne

Muddle the peach in a mixing glass. Add blanche, elderflower liqueur, and ice. Shake well. Strain (or double strain if you don't like peach puree floating in your drink) in a champagne flute and top with rose champagne.

Perfect drinks for sipping in hot weather--if I do say so myself. And I do! Love to hear what you think, though.

And post your own!

Edited by AiO

Thanks, guys. If you try it, let me know what you think!

Any other favorite summer cocktails? Moscow Mule? Caipirinha? Gin and Tonic? Pimm's Cup? Mai Tai?

I've been drinking a lot of Jerry Thomas' punches: Brandy and Gin punch and all there variations, sours and fixes and lately I've really been into the Knickerbocker. I load it up with fruit garnish and crushed ice and its the perfect thing for a hot summer afternoon.

When the days get hot, I tend to do more drinking outside, or away from my home bar, so I tend to drink beer more than any cocktails!

But whenever I can get it, a tall, icy Gin and Tonic is good for what ails you.

Jen's Sangria

Ingredients:

• Approximately 1 litre (of a 2 litre bottle) of fizzy clear lemonade (UK) or Sprite/7UP (US)
  • Something between 0.7 and 1 litre of the cheapest Spanish red wine you can get (more expensive stuff actually makes a bad tasting sangria)
  • Around 1 cup of the cheapest brandy you can get
  • Around a half a cup (or more to taste) of orange juice, spiked generously with some fresh or bottled lemon juice
  • 5 tablespoons of white, granulated sugar
  • 1 rounded/heaped 1/8 tsp of cinnamon powder

1.) Pour out about 2/3 of the lemonade (but keep it!) and stick a funnel into the bottle.

2.) Pour in your cheap, cheap red wine. If it came in a Tetra juice box, you've got the best for the purpose.

3.) Dump in your sugar and cinnamon.

4.) Dump in the lemony orange juice.

5.) Dump in your brandy.

6.) Close the bottle and shake until the sugar is dissolved. Open it back up carefully.

7.) Add lemonade until about an inch or so from full, cap, shake, taste.

Too sweet? Add brandy. Too wine-ish? Add brandy. Actually, more brandy will fix just about any problem with it…

Finish topping it with the leftover lemonade. Cap it and keep it cool. Serve on ice. If you're feeling fancy, put it in a punch bowl or jug and garnish with fruit.

I make shocking amounts of this all summer long. It usually ends up costing me under £5 for two litres of sangria. Not quite as cheap as it would be in Spain, but still, pretty cheap.

Enjoy!

Summer Toddy:

A shot of clove-infused bourbon

Juice from half a lemon

Topped up with honey simple syrup.

Serve over ice

Too sweet? Add brandy. Too wine-ish? Add brandy. Actually, more brandy will fix just

You made me laugh in my outside voice here at work - thank you!

Summer Toddy

Nice! What's your recipe for the clove-infused bourbon?

Well, I'm working on that. The first and current batch is a 750 of bourbon, 20 cloves, 1" piece of vanilla bean, and a small hunk of a cinnamon stick. It's not bad, but not quite there. If you would like, I will keep you posted on batch two...when there is one.

There is a bar in town that makes these toddies and house-infuses their bourbon. It's what I want to replicate. Crazy good and very refreshing.

If you would like, I will keep you posted on batch two...when there is one.

Please do. Sounds delicious!

There is another bar in town, as well, that has a really good and unique summer cocktail.

Muddled grapes, hendrick's gin, st. germaine, bitters, a slice of cucumber, and a fresh basil leaf.

Too sweet? Add brandy. Too wine-ish? Add brandy. Actually, more brandy will fix just
You made me laugh in my outside voice here at work - thank you!

:laugh: You're welcome!

Okay, AiO -- I got it locked. Second bottle came out just about perfect... at least in terms of replicating what I had at the bar...YMMV.

1 bottle of cheap bourbon

30 cloves

1 inch piece of vanilla bean

Let that sit for at least 48 hours, and you're good to go!

Adding more cloves and giving the cinnamon the old heave-ho seems to have focused the flavor more.

Edited by kaseijin

Kir Royales last summer, Negroni on my mind lately might be time to start tinkering.

Oh, yeah. I've been grooving on Negroni's (can you guess which gin I use?) and Martinez cocktails.

I love me a good negroni... but it seems to me that using an upper shelf gin in one is wasteful, since the gin gets so masked by the vermouth and the Campari.

Then again, it's not like Marc has any shortage of the good stuff. :twitchsmile:

Edited by kaseijin

Thanks, kaseijin--will definitely have to try the clove-infused bourbon.

Haven't had a Negroni in a while, but I had a fine Americano yesterday afternoon: Campari, Dolin sweet vermouth, and Fever Tree club soda over ice with a slice of orange. Very refreshing!

And I'm about to whip up a glass of Cocchi Americano and soda with the new bottle I just got; can't wait!

I asked for a negroni at a bar a couple of weeks back, and got a gin and tonic with a splash of campari and a lime.

It was vile.

I went back and asked specifically for equal parts gin/sweet vermouth/campari, with an orange, and got a good drink.

When I went to tab out, a different bartender who had just come on shift rang me up and, explaining that the negroni was his favorite drink, comped me one for "good taste."

So I guess it was a wash!

Have either of you begun to experiment with barrel aging Negroni cocktails yet? A friend of mine who runs A Jigger of a Blog has begun doing it based on an experiment from out west in Seattle I believe. Apparently they are phenomenal. I can't wait to try them when they get done aging.

He got a 5 gallon barrel from Tuthilltown and then filled it with Negronis. I'll ask about the aging time, as it was very specific, but for some reason, 5 weeks sticks in my head.

Basically, the aging just rounds out all of the flavor and adds just the right amount of depth. It's not a different cocktail, just an elevated Negroni. I'll email him to get more deets and report back.

Here's a recent post from the Times magazine blog on barrel-aged cocktails.

The bourbon barrel Negroni sounds tasty, but I want one of those "vintage" Manhattans stat!

I'd be curious to know as well. :wave2:

Tonight I'm having what may well become the Drink of Summer 2010 at our house (if my wife has anything to say about it), beating out the Gin-Gin Bellini and everything else.

It's called the Leland Palmer (yes that's right, Twin Peaks fans) and the recipe debuted in the latest issue of Bon Appetite magazine. I don't subscribe myself, but a friend was kind enough to send me the link.

I whipped up a batch tonight and it's beyond delicious--jasmine tea, lemon, honey... A perfect summer cooler. Highly recommended!

A Leland Palmer... as an alcoholic Arnold Palmer. That seems so apropos. Seems that somebody should make a stately cocktail called the Windom Earle.