Jen Dixon

Spoons! Glorious Spoons!

Here's a lovely spoon, accompanied by a label from the same distillery, Lacaux Frères.

Sincere thanks to a friend in Paris, who has done more for absinthe than many realize.

lacauxfamilysm.jpg

Santa came early this year. :holiday:

I must say that the Feuilles d'Absinthe #3 is even more beautiful in hand than in the pictures I've seen. I've lusted for this ever since I got into absinthe and absinthe antiques.

post-4189-0-49639500-1386452436_thumb.jpg

When you compare the real thing to the standard reproduction, well, there is no comparison... No wonder I was disappointed with the replica. The original shows distinct wormwood leaves throughout the design. The repro barely hints at it.

post-4189-0-27210600-1386452825_thumb.jpg

An interesting set of spoons: an orginal Feuilles #4 "Joanne" with two very well-rendered takeoffs made several years ago by Tempus Fugit. The Jade spoon was marketed but is hard to find today. The Emile Pernot spoon was a prototype that wasn't sold. They did a lovely job of capturing the spirit, and some of the details. Interestingly the tip of the Pernot version was cut out to show more of the leaf.

post-4189-0-00006100-1386453077_thumb.jpg

May need help on a diagnosis with this one!

Now, I have to be brutally honest - I still don't know much about the spoons, at all, and am currently still looking over 'qualifications', as it were - I've taken more of an immediate interest in the drink itself for now.

That being said, I found this piece in a thrift store in Brussels for 50 cents. I have no idea if it's actually an absinthe spoon or just some slotted mixing thing.
Nevertheless, for 50 cents, it gets the job done - has a nice indent. It was a bit scuffed up when I found it, and it is quite heavy.

My hunch is that it might have been ripped from some local who went to an absinthe bar. But I'd rather get a second opinion.

I know I have seen actual Spanish absinthe spoons in an antiques store nearby (which I pray are still there upon my next monetary gain - the guy working there seemed to know his stuff well enough).

http://tinypic.com/r/vfv5l2/8

http://tinypic.com/r/2dkbqsh/8

...being that previously I only had one of those Absente Eiffel tower spoons, this was a delightful find for me.

Edited by Wormwoad

This is an absinthe spoon from Belgium, classified as Les Trous #25 by Marie-Claude Delahaye. Hard to date precisely, as always with Belgian spoons, but we believe that it's post-absinthe.

This is an absinthe spoon from Belgium, classified as Les Trous #25 by Marie-Claude Delahaye. Hard to date precisely, as always with Belgian spoons, but we believe that it's post-absinthe.

Nice work! If I ever see anything which looks antique in a shop I will photograph the stamp and consult you! Thanks a lot.

Hi, there are two absinth spoons from Rosario, Argentina.

post-4154-0-31513200-1392318075_thumb.jpg

The spoons are made by a goldsmith friend. He has made a Silver 925 serie and other in Alpaca. The one of the Tiger eye it´s named "Ira", an the other one it´s named Diablera.

This is his FB site https://www.facebook.com/capitanbeto.orfebreria

I use "Ira".

Salud!

Personal tastes aside (I don't like them), the first one, on top, is unusable. Tell your friend that the square holes are too big, he should make 16 instead of 4.

My 2 cents.

Ok Marc (and anyone involved), I have one more question for you -
This evening I went to an antique store and found several of "Les Fleches #3" spoons. I bought one, but there are a few more where I had found them.
Went ahead and did my homework this time - they seem to be authentic, with the engraved marks and everything.

I was wondering how much these sell for? They are in near-perfect (mint) condition. The guy sold it to me for cheap.

I checked on AbsintheOriginals.com and they were selling for 20 euros, but another site told me 65 euros (for a copy which looked rather beat-up).

Is there a way I can find out something about these? If it is a good investment, I would like to purchase the rest and make them available for friendly distribution to anyone interested who may never step foot in my city.

I checked on AbsintheOriginals.com and they were selling for 20 euros, but another site told me 65 euros (for a copy which looked rather beat-up).

Good to read that I'm way cheaper than others :)

(they were selling for 30 euros though, not 20)

It's a rather common spoon but very pleasant to use. Its long deep central groove makes it very convenient for the sugar ritual.

P1070263MS.JPG

So you know how much I sell them for.

By "friendly distribution", do you mean "friendly price"? I would say 20 euros then.

Good to read that I'm way cheaper than others :)

(they were selling for 30 euros though, not 20)

It's a rather common spoon but very pleasant to use. Its long deep central groove makes it very convenient for the sugar ritual.

P1070263MS.JPG

So you know how much I sell them for.

By "friendly distribution", do you mean "friendly price"? I would say 20 euros then.

Yeah - I would say that is a fair price. They were all in wonderful condition!

I think I will grab the rest of them when I am downtown, and if anyone wants any they can contact me.

And yes, the design is genius. Most of my spoons have no grooves, so the water gets everywhere.

Even though this model is not the most rare, I think it is one of the most intelligent. I love similar grooved grill types.

Edited by Wormwoad