Jen Dixon

Spoons! Glorious Spoons!

Cool idea Hed, but no, most are not magnetic. About 1/4 of them are, the rest are either silver, aluminum (worth as much as gold in the Belle Époque) or plated brass. Thanks for the idea though!

Very nice Poilus #33... Holes used in foxholes I believe, forgive the pun. Made for soldiers if memory serves.

How's this one Clement? The very first in the universe, and certainly pre-ban "Les Trous Noir!"

black-hole.jpg

Here is a spoon I want:

Pan-Grille-67KB.jpg

I've always admired all of Kirk's work, but that particular spoon is the only one of his masterpieces that I actually own.

I found this today while I was looking for something else. At first, I thought it was a jewel or ornament of some sorts, but if you read the description it says "the essential accessory for preparing your luxurious wormwood delicacy in truly decadent style ". I have no idea if pewter is good to use with edibles, but if the stone is a Swarovsky crystal, then it has lead on it.

Don't miss the matching necklace. I actually like this one ;)

Modern pewter unlike antique pewter, is safe to use with food. The old pewter had lead content which could make it into certain foods. The problem with that spoon, is it's ugly as shit, and the gaps are so huge in it, that large chunks of sugar will fall in, rather than slowly dissolving. I suspect we'll see this lovely work of art in some TV movie at some point, with a burning cube and a topless green-eyed heavily tattooed vampiress. Sigh.

Bill, That assumes it looks good, instead of just gawdy. :)

Scott beat me to the posessed see saw dripper made to look like a deranged Ponchatrain clown.

The problem with that spoon, is it's ugly as shit...

Strictly a matter of opinion, I would think. :g:

In deed, but a common opinion so far.

Kinda like Salma Hayek. Her beauty is a matter of personal opinion, but there sure seems to be a lot of positive opinions so far. :)

The problem with that spoon, is it's ugly as shit...

Strictly a matter of opinion, I would think. :g:

True Ambear, flies for instance, think shit is quite lovely! :tongue:

I actually thought the mini-spoon necklace is kind of nice....

Other than appearance, would granulated sugar be a sin? I occationally toss a cube after louching, and it seems to work well. Then there are the professional booze mixers, they use the syrup stuff. I mean is the reason for the cube simply because that is mostly how sugar comes in France?

Clément, I was fortunate enough to walk with Kirk's cane a little yesterday. In one's hand, it is even more amazing, as you can really see all the details in a tactile way. He's quite an artist. I'm sorry to hear about you needing a cane. Thoughts are with you for improvement my friend.

Interesting :) I asked Kirk anyway.

I may need to save some money for a few years, but if it fits my criteria, I may want to possess the thing :) (hint : I only buy canes I can walk with)

Would also fit along well next to the showcase containing the artemisia, the bloch and the joanne :p

Question: Which spoon do y'all find the most practical for everyday use, and why?

I have the chrome plated 'ABSINTHE' spoons, and they are nice, but the brass does tarnish, and the 'B' lets some lumps through. The raised edges, and the notch, sure are handy though.

I've been looking at the No. 10 and the wormwood leaf ones for their Stainless (Inox) material, and practical looking designs. But I thought it would be beneficial for me, and other noobs, to get the $.02 from the experienced folks in the forum.

Thank You Very Much In Advance!

Hey Miguel,

Absinthe Devil has a lot of nice repro spoons, and most will work just fine. If you don't like the sugar clumps falling in, just avoid the one or two with larger patterns/holes. It's a good shop, and Brian is accountable and honest.

Here's the link.

Spoons at AD

Question: Which spoon do y'all find the most practical for everyday use, and why?

For me, they are all equally practical. As artwork on the wall in a display. ;)

Haven't used sugar in years.

Scott, I'm familiar with the website, and I agree that it is nice, and has a nice selection of spoons and spoon books. ;) I was hoping that you, with your extensive experience in absinthe paraphenalia, could recommend a spoon, or three, based on practicality. I mean, you are the only one with the famous Guitar See Saw dripper. :)

Brian, I don't use it much to be honest, but occationally I do run into an absinthe I need sugar with. None of my current ones would benefit from sugar, thankfully. I'm just tired of having to baby my current spoons to avoid oxidizing. Yes, that means I'm a bit of a slob. :(

Edited by Miguel

I like the wormwood leaf spoon that I have for the couple times I've used it...but I'm firmly in Brian's camp on the sugar issue. I've always had undissolved sugar in the cup regardless of what I use though.